Pro-tax Occupation Protests Held Across U.S. (O.W.S. Thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The gap between rich and poor is widening across most developed economies as skilled workers reap more rewards and top executives and bankers benefit from a global job market, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development said.

The average income of the richest tenth of the population is now about nine times that of the poorest tenth, the Paris- based OECD said today in a report. The gap has increased about 10 percent since the mid 1980s.

Mexico, the U.S., Israel and the U.K. are among the countries with the biggest divide between rich and poor, while Denmark, Norway, Belgium and the Czech Republic are among those with the smallest gap. The earnings multiple is 14-to-1 in the U.S. and Israel, compared with about 10-to-1 in the U.K., Italy and Japan and 6-to-1 in Germany and Denmark.

“The social contract is starting to unravel in many countries,” OECD Secretary-General Angel Gurria said in a statement. “This study dispels the assumptions that the benefits of economic growth will automatically trickle down to the disadvantaged and that the greater inequality fosters greater social mobility.”

I think that people who choose to continue to ignore this or blindly keep repeating that so long as the rich get richer and pay less taxes the rest will magically benefit do so at their own peril. History has shown us as much.

Full article at Bloomberg: Rich-Poor Divide Widens in Developed World: OECD - Bloomberg

I wonder what the big reasons are for the Nordic countries' small gaps.

On one side of it, there is a different attitude to work and life there. Jobs/trades that are mocked or marginalized in American and Western society such as garbage men are looked at as honest professions over there.

On the other hand, having very homogeneous populations could have something to do with it.

I wonder what the big reasons are for the Nordic countries' small gaps.

You can say social democracy. Even if it can be argued that one or two of the Nordic countries have turned to liberalism, but I'm not completely educated on that area.

It has been OUR nations' greatest strength, I'd say. One might describe it as. . .exceptional.

But the growing gap between richn and poor in the U.S. is not necessarily tied to our diversity.

It has been OUR nations' greatest strength, I'd say. One might describe it as. . .exceptional.

Not to be argumentative but I believe our nation's greatest strengths are our Constitution, our Creed as set forth in the Declaration, our Rule of Law and God's Providence. Without those diversity doesn't flourish. Just look around the world.

Not to be argumentative but I believe our nation's greatest strengths are our Constitution, our Creed as set forth in the Declaration, our Rule of Law and God's Providence. Without those diversity doesn't flourish. Just look around the world.

Did we not have these things 50 years ago?

Pretty typical it seems nowadays, twist whatever you want to fit your agenda. Jesus did come back, but changed his name to Gordon Gecko :)

My Take: Jesus was a free marketer, not an Occupier – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

(CNN) – One of the last instructions Jesus gave his disciples was "Occupy till I come."

As Jesus was about to enter Jerusalem for the last time, just before his crucifixion, he was keenly aware that his disciples greatly desired and even anticipated that the kingdom of God was going to be established immediately on the earth.

Groups bring Occupy to Congress

As a way to break the news that it wasn't going to happen in the manner and with the timing they expected, Jesus pulled them aside and gave them instructions by way of a parable.

The primary purpose of the parable, which appears in the Gospel of Luke, was to make clear to his disciples that the kingdom of God would not be physically established on the earth for some time and that, until then, they were being entrusted with certain responsibilities.

Jesus, depicted as a ruler in the story, would have to leave for a while as he traveled to a faraway place to receive authority to reign over the kingdom. In his absence, the disciples – depicted as servants – were to "occupy" until he returned.

Here's the direct quote from Luke: "He called his ten servants, and gave to them ten minas, one mina each (a mina today would be worth around $225), and he then told them to 'Occupy till I come.' " (Luke 19:13, King James Version)

But just what does Jesus' order to occupy mean? Does it mean take over and trash public property, as the Occupy movement has? Does it mean engage in antisocial behavior while denouncing a political and economic system that grants one the right and luxury to choose to be unproductive?

Opinion: Occupy Wall Street looks like church to me

No, the Greek term behind the old English translation literally means "be occupied with business." As with all parables, Jesus uses a common activity such as fishing or farming to provide a word picture with a deeper spiritual meaning.

From a spiritual perspective, the mina in this parable represents the opportunity of life; each of us is given the same opportunity to build our lives, and each of us shares the same responsibility to invest our lives for the purpose of bringing a return and leaving a legacy. Jesus gave equal responsibility and opportunity to each of his 10 servants.

The fact that Jesus chose the free market system as the basis for this parable should not be overlooked. When the nobleman returns, after being established as king – a stand-in for Jesus – he calls all his servants together to see what they had accomplished in his absence.

The first servant reports a nice profit: 10 minas. While the story lacks specifics on whether he invested the money in a herd of sheep or a hedge fund, we do know that he made his gain by engaging in business transactions of some sort. He used a free market system to bring a tenfold return on investment. No doubt such a return took a lot of diligent, dedicated effort.

The newly established king praises the servant and gives him a reward that's an even greater return on his efforts, "because you have been faithful in very little I will give you authority over ten cities."

Likewise the second servant in the story, who had turned his one mina into five, is praised and rewarded with greater responsibilities: He is given five cities.

Occupy Wall Street movement tackles housing crisis

The third servant in the story had apparently either slept through his economics course or was just indifferent to the work delegated to him.

He had essentially kept the capital entrusted to him under his mattress for safekeeping.

When called to give an account of what he had accomplished, the man immediately attempts to shift the focus off his failure with excuses of how unfair the boss was because he was always trying to get more than he deserved for his money.

The employee review is immediate and intense: "Out of your own mouth will I judge you, you wicked servant." The king's disappointment and frustration are nearly palpable. "Why didn't you at least put the money in the bank and draw interest?" the king inquires.

While such language might prompt an HR complaint today, its meaning was quite clear to the disciples. There are no excuses for doing nothing.

Parables generally have a twist near the end, a final jolt to drive the point home. This one is no exception. The ruler orders that the capital, or opportunity, given to the lazy servant be taken from him and given to the most productive servant. "To everyone who has, more shall be given," the Bible reads, "but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away."

Jesus rejected collectivism and the mentality that has occupied America for the last few decades: that everyone gets a trophy – equal outcomes for inequitable performance. There are winners and yes, there are losers. And wins and losses are determined by the diligence and determination of the individual.

Some would argue that such an approach encourages abuses, the likes of which we have seen on Wall Street. While some egregious abuses have taken place, they are not inevitable or intrinsic to free enterprise.

The parable of the king and the servants endorses the principles of business and the free market when properly employed.

Remember, these servants were not working for themselves, but under the constraints of their lord and for his benefit. Likewise our free market system works when bridled by morality. Not arbitrary morality that changes with political parties, but transcendent moral principles.

Yes, we are to "occupy," not by railing against a free market system that rewards diligence, even though it is occasionally abused. Rather we are to occupy by using that system ethically as a means to advance the interests of the one we serve.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Tony Perkins.

I agree with you more or less.

I don't quite understand the need for all the capital letters though. . . .

I don't quite understand the need for all the capital letters though. . . .

Rules for Capitalization

5. Capitalize the first, last, and all other important words in the titles of written works (Declaration of Independence, U.S. Constitution).

7. Capitalize words referring to the Deity and a specific religion (God's Providence).

And Creed can be capitalized because it is a unique and defining set of ideas. The American Creed.

Am I correct grammar nerds? :nerd:

Rules for Capitalization

5. Capitalize the first, last, and all other important words in the titles of written works (Declaration of Independence, U.S. Constitution).

7. Capitalize words referring to the Deity and a specific religion (God's Providence).

And Creed can be capitalized because it is a unique and defining set of ideas. The American Creed.

Grammar, and for that matter, language itself, is of course no more and no less than a bourgeouis conceit of the fascist capitalist neo-liberal globalist Bilderberg conspiracy - accordingly i approve of your disdain for it, and indeed I salute your outright revolution against the literalist, paternalist, capitalist edicts of the 1%! :up::wink:

Rule of Law?

Further Providence would be capitalized when uses as a name for God as in the hand of Providence. God,'s Providence is redundant. You wouldn't say God's Love or God's Justice.

:nerd:

Rules for Capitalization

Looks like everything's accounted for, sir. Have a nice day.

Wow, there really is so much money to be made in cheap crap. Forget plastics, it's cheap crap. That and questionable labor and business practices.

Huffington Post

The Occupy Wall Street movement has brought increased focus on the disparity between the top one percent of earners and everyone else in the United States. But one American family paints a particularly stark picture of the country's wealth gap.

The six children of Walmart's founders, Sam and James "Bud" Walton, had the same net worth in 2007 as the entire bottom 30 percent of American earners, according to an analysis from Sylvia Allegretto, a labor economist at University of California-Berkeley's Center on Wage and Employment Dynamics.

Though the 2007 figure is striking, the gap between the Walmart heirs and the rest of the country may get even bigger -- the Walton's combined fortune has grown by more than $20 billion, according to data compiled from the Forbes 400 this year.

Allegretto compared the Waltons' net worth in 2007, according to Forbes magazine, to the Federal Reserve's 2007 Survey of Consumer Finances.

The difference between the wealth of the Walmart heirs and the rest of the country epitomizes a much larger American story. The top one percent of American earners saw their incomes grow 275 percent between 1979 and 2007, according to the Congressional Budget Office, while the bottom one-fifth experienced only 20 percent income growth during the same period.

Looking at it another way: The top 10 percent of U.S. earners control two-thirds of the country's wealth and the richest 400 Americans control as much wealth as the bottom 50 percent of Americans. The difference is so stark that the public opinion has turned against it: nearly three-quarters of respondents to a poll put out by The Hill said they think income inequality is a problem.

But the rise in income inequality isn't limited to America. In 17 out of 22 countries the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development tracks, the wealth gap has grown more pronounced since 1985. In addition, the world's millionaires control nearly 40 percent of global wealth, according to a Credit Suisse report cited by the Wall Street Journal.

Hope and Change.

I'd love to see a link where someone actually capitilized these words. . .

I find it interesting that you think we see President Obama and His accomplishments and goals in this light.

:wink:

His accomplishments and goals in this light.

:wink:

obama-messiah.jpg

If the sandal mandal fits.

Back
Top Bottom