Preemptive post: Virginia's governor election is NOT a reflection of Obama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
So, it's pretty much inevitable that the Republican candidate for governor in Virginia, Bob McDonnell, is going to win today over the Dem candidate, Creigh Deeds. This victory will be hailed loudly by the right as an indicator that Americans are unhappy with Obama's policies.

As a resident of Virginia (at least for the next 2 weeks until we make the sad move to Maryland), let me just say this: ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Why? Because Creigh Deeds has run the shittiest campaign in history. While McDonnell took the route of advertising primarily on his own character and (supposed) record, Creigh Deeds relied almost entirely on trashing McDonnell's character based on anti-feminine beliefs McDonnell publicized decades ago. Yes, McDonnell's statements were fairly deplorable....but they weren't enough to run a campaign on. Add to that the fact that McDonnell carries himself like a staunch (if not annoying) conservative leader that could be governor, while Deeds seems much more like an insurance salesman.

I'm a democrat & would much like to see a dem win the race, but I have not been impressed by the candidate that got through the primaries. The poll numbers here in VA reflect others' similar feelings......NOT how we feel about Obama.

Just FYI.

I'm not so sure. I think blaming it on a sucky candidate can only take you so far, even though that's what the White House is already doing to downplay this sure loss. McDonnell has run a flawless campaign, and he's expected to win by possibly as much as 15. Obama won the state by over 6. That's quite a turnaround. It'll be interesting to see how the independents vote, and, once again, the low turnout of minorities. A sweep today would NOT be good for the Democratic Party.

Deeds was a sucky candidate, and McDonnell won by emphasizing liberal issues -- education, transportation -- and playing up the fact that he's from NoVA. this is the new Vriginia, which is light years beyond the former capital of the Confederacy it was up until the late 1990's. the explosion of educated workers into the Dulles tech corridor has done much to turn the state blue, that combined with the universally beloved Mark Warner and the at least warmly-thought-of Tim Kane. McDonnell ran as far away as he could from his christofascist background and tried to play himself as a man of the 21st century.

the most interesting race today, however, is in NY-23.

i am also cautiously pessimistic about Maine. there seems to be a "bradley effect" when it comes to marriage equality, but we'll see what happens.

I say McDonnell wins big- double digits, Hoffman in NY wins a close one, and I think Corzine squeaks by in NJ.

Why do you say that?

it will allow them to reinforce their belief that the GOP is now about ideological purity, that it's led by Rush, Beck, and Palin, and there's no room for moderation within the GOP. you can't be a pro-choice Republican, you can't be a pro-marriage equality Republican, etc.

it fits into the WH strategy that's been attempting to conflate the GOP with talk radio, Fox News, etc., and make the party that much more unappealing to moderates and independents who might, for example, be leery of Obama's deficits but even more leery of right-wing orthodoxy.

I never thought governor was much of a referendum on the president one way or the other. State's a different animal than national.

The elections for Congress and Senate will tell you a little more next year. If it holds to pattern, the Dems are going to lose some seats which won't tell you much of anything.
If it goes against pattern and the Democrats keep their margin or if they lose a lot of seats, then you have a referendum. But if I were the Dems, I'd be getting a lot of legislation passed pronto.

it will allow them to reinforce their belief that the GOP is now about ideological purity, that it's led by Rush, Beck, and Palin, and there's no room for moderation within the GOP. you can't be a pro-choice Republican, you can't be a pro-marriage equality Republican, etc.

it fits into the WH strategy that's been attempting to conflate the GOP with talk radio, Fox News, etc., and make the party that much more unappealing to moderates and independents who might, for example, be leery of Obama's deficits but even more leery of right-wing orthodoxy.

The handful of Republicans (11 local folks) who anointed Scozzafava simply misjudged the electorate.

So, it's pretty much inevitable that the Republican candidate for governor in Virginia, Bob McDonnell, is going to win today over the Dem candidate, Creigh Deeds. This victory will be hailed loudly by the right as an indicator that Americans are unhappy with Obama's policies.

As a resident of Virginia (at least for the next 2 weeks until we make the sad move to Maryland), let me just say this: ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Why? Because Creigh Deeds has run the shittiest campaign in history. While McDonnell took the route of advertising primarily on his own character and (supposed) record, Creigh Deeds relied almost entirely on trashing McDonnell's character based on anti-feminine beliefs McDonnell publicized decades ago. Yes, McDonnell's statements were fairly deplorable....but they weren't enough to run a campaign on. Add to that the fact that McDonnell carries himself like a staunch (if not annoying) conservative leader that could be governor, while Deeds seems much more like an insurance salesman.

I'm a democrat & would much like to see a dem win the race, but I have not been impressed by the candidate that got through the primaries. The poll numbers here in VA reflect others' similar feelings......NOT how we feel about Obama.

Just FYI.

Whatever. :|
I'm mad none of y'all reminded me to get an absentee ballot on time. I hope VA is governed by an evil arachnid overlord. Next time tell me!! :madwife: I've no idea what goes on in VA unless it starts with a College and ends with a Football.

Those are basic "state" issues, not liberal issues.

on a national level, they are certainly liberal issues.

and particularly in Vriginia, where the "values" nonsense might still have some resonance, it's quite telling that the conservative candidate didn't puff up his "values" credentials and instead focused on real, tangible issues, instead of the "god, guns, and gays" of the past.

i'll take that as progress, no matter from which side.

so far, seems Deeds has lost in VA, no surprise.

NJ is too close to call.

huge turnout in Maine. not sure what to make of this. since it's an odd election year, this means that it's usually just the olds who vote, so it might mean that the youngs are out there pulling the levers for the gays.

but if it's the olds who are out there, well, you know what the olds think of the gays.

Whatever. :|
I'm mad none of y'all reminded me to get an absentee ballot on time. I hope VA is governed by an evil arachnid overlord. Next time tell me!! :madwife: I've no idea what goes on in VA unless it starts with a College and ends with a Football.

I think you represent millions of people that were part of the

"We are the change we have been waiting for." group.

People that got FIRED UP AND READY TO GO.

People like myself, an origional Hillary supporter that ended up voting for Obama, don't get fired up.

I just vote, in every single election,
not just the big, stadium rally elections with stickers and rock music.

I think the Obama Nation does not really exist.
It was a fun thing to say I will be a part of history,
but now, we are off to 'Taco Tuesday and dollar beers'. cheers.

Good points. Deeds did gain some momentum from that thesis tactic, but that quickly faded away. McDonnell's overall communication skills and image were superior, but I still voted for Deeds.

my only concern about this election is that a loss in NJ will turn the Democrats into a bunch of timid wimps, which wouldn't be a surprise.

ugh. look for the Democrats to be contrite about everything.

say good bye to health care reform this year.

and Chris Cristiie has been to 160 Springsteen concerts

NY 23 is close, the Dem make eek it out,
over a 3rd party Conservative.

I just heard on one of the news channels
the youth vote was 17% in 2008 and is only 9% tonight --
Taco Tuesdays and dollar beer. :up:

Back
Top Bottom