Preemptive post: Virginia's governor election is NOT a reflection of Obama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
49-46 ?

46% is a pretty impressive showing for a 3rd party candidate.

It does look like the youth vote showed up in Maine.

I hope the no vote wins.

49-46 ?

46% is a pretty impressive showing for a 3rd party candidate.

It does look like the youth vote showed up in Maine.

I hope the no vote wins.

Maine isn't looking good -- looks to be a repeat of California.

i guess when you use children in peril in your ads, people have a gut emotional reaction.

we'll see what happens.

the results from NY-23

make your intentional hyperbole

look misplaced.

Not when you consider that

A. The Democrat ran as a Blue Dog moderate, arguably to the right of the Republican and
B. Hoffman was
1. A third party candidate
2. Entered the race very late
3. Was not endorsed by the Republican party "insiders and shakers" but still
a. forced the GOP candidate out of the race
b. and if not winning, lost in a very close race

Republicans take back the seat next year.

Not when you consider that

A. The Democrat ran as a Blue Dog moderate, arguably to the right of the Republican and
B. Hoffman was
1. A third party candidate
2. Entered the race very late
3. Was not endorsed by the Republican party "insiders and shakers" but still
a. forced the GOP candidate out of the race
b. and if not winning, lost in a very close race

Republicans take back the seat next year.

but the Beck/Plain axis doesn't have nearly the bite they claim.

which, in many ways, is too bad for the White House.

the more they can paint the leaders of the GOP as batshit insane as Beck and Palin, the more the middle runs away from them.

also, the Bloomberg race should tell us that there's a strong anti-incumbent feeling out there which is far more indicative of the mood of the public -- everyone's unsettled, everyone's uneasy, and with 10% unemployment, debts, and two wars, it's quite understandable.

Obama remains quite popular, which makes the fixation on this as a "referendum" on Obama -- and, for the GOP, a way to frighten the "Blue Dogs" -- not just shallow, but wildly misleading.

i guess when you use children in peril in your ads, people have a gut emotional reaction.

we'll see what happens.

I know the issue means a lot to you so I won't brag, but what now, 0 - 31.

I have no idea how the campaign was run in Maine, but if you bad-mouth the citizens tomorrow morning as intolerant or hateful, I promise you it will be 0 - 32 the next time it comes up.

Just some friendly advice.

we'll see what happens.

If Maine goes the way of Prop 8 in CA
I hope there will be a boycott Maine movement.

I can't believe people can be so cruel.

I have now idea how the campaign was run in Maine, but if you bad-mouth the citizens tomorrow morning as intolerant or hateful, I promise you it will be 0 - 32 the next time it comes up.

You seem to be celebrating bigotry.

I have no idea how the campaign was run in Maine, but if you bad-mouth the citizens tomorrow morning as intolerant or hateful, I promise you it will be 0 - 32 the next time it comes up.

but, INDY, you are intolerant. :shrug: i'd like to vote on your marriage. i'd probably approve it, but it depends if it will be taught to children.

If Maine goes the way of Prop 8 in CA
I hope there will be a boycott Maine movement.

I can't believe people can be so cruel.

they are cruel.

did you see the ad campaign? it was all about "gay marriage being taught in schools." the *same* tactic used in CA.

it's deceitful, and low, and it's wrong.

it obviously is a way to eek out a win.

You seem to be celebrating bigotry.

That seems to be trendy these days...

did you see the ad campaign? it was all about "gay marriage being taught in schools." the *same* tactic used in CA.

it's deceitful, and low, and it's wrong.

it obviously is a way to eek out a win.

But it works on the uninformed. :shrug:

Maybe some day that generation will die off...

Democracy and self-determination actually.

"Bigotry" being only your analysis of the results.

and if the civil rights movement were up to popular vote throughout the south in the 1960s? would that be democracy and self-determination?

Maybe some day that generation will die off...

it's clear that we have more work to do to make our case.

i donated significant money (for me) to CA last year, am now kicking myself for not taking ME quite as seriously.

it seems like, 1) there might be a recount, and 2) New England's deep Catholicism came out to play in this.

clearly, as ever, religion is, again, one of the main(e) motivators.

i have to call it a night soon.

what's nice is that Portland -- easily one of the best places to live in the US -- went 74% against the amendment.

Exactly. I know I wake up each morning wondering "who can I hate today."

no need to wonder

if you go to church

they tell you to hate 'sin'

and then they tell you what 'sin' is

and then they tell you who 'sins'.

then you can feel all self - righteous
and say it is just 'democracy and self-determination'.

on a happier note, it looks like the 'mos won in Washington State.

they pretty much get everything but the word, which makes some people feel a little less frightened that their children will be taught how to be gay in school, i suppose.

at least this Christie guy campaigned on the economic issues of government spending and jobs, instead of the typical conservative social issues of gay and immigrant bashing

It seems the Virginia winner did the same, these guys might not be that bad.

no need to wonder

if you go to church

they tell you to hate 'sin'

and then they tell you what 'sin' is

and then they tell you who 'sins'.
Which would be me.

then you can feel all self - righteous

Not really as I only compare my life to Christ's. Kinda humbling actually.
and say it is just 'democracy and self-determination'.
At least we agree on Calvinism.

since you brought "the guy" up

please tell me what 'he' said about same sex people?

if you truly want to "compare" (i think you meant follow his example)

I know what He said about sin. And I know what He said about the log in my own eye. Which is why I don't argue against same-sex marriage because I think homosexuals to be morally or civilly inferior to myself or heterosexuals in any way.
It has to do with what I, indy500, personally feel is the best thing for society, children and to guarantee generational cohesion. Which is a mother and a father as the nucleus of a family.

Maybe it's not hip or politically correct. But it is my personal belief and dictates how I vote.

I know what He said about sin. And I know what He said about the log in my own eye. Which is why I don't argue against same-sex marriage because I think homosexuals to be in morally or civilly inferior to myself or heterosexuals in any way.
It has to do with what I, indy500, personally feel is the best thing for society, children and to guarantee generational cohesion. Which is a mother and a father as the nucleus of a family.

Maybe it's not hip or politically correct. But it is my personal belief.

I have a lot on personal feelings about what is best for children and society.

I don't think children should be raised in homes with smokers, boozers or people that corrupt their minds with racist or bigoted beliefs.

I don't believe my beliefs should be imposed on others by a popular vote.

As for it being best for children to be raised by a mother and a father as the nucleus of a family. Would you advocate couples not be allowed to divorce?
Single parents have their children placed with a foster couple until they get married? Single straight people not being allowed to adopt children.
Would you want to vote on all of the above and make laws to those effects.

I have indulged your 'best for children' concept for the sake of this discussion.

I'd still love to see the results of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments prohibiting slavery and granting black men voting and equal rights (remembering that female suffrage was still yet to come, of course), if the North didn't make their passage a precondition for Confederate readmission into the Union. Can you imagine 19th century Southern white landowners (read: slaveholders) willingly voting to end slavery and to give their former slaves equal status to them?

Putting minority rights to a vote is immoral.

Back
Top Bottom