Political Correctness - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #141
ONE
love, blood, life
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,362
Local Time: 08:49 AM
"One woman Hamid spoke with in line remarked that she 'didn't look scary,' but 'like a good one'."

Jesus Christ - spoken probably by the exact kind of person who would claim not to be racist on account of having a Black acquaintance. There's a silver lining in Hamid's ejection, I suppose, in that she wasn't attacked while in the crowd.
__________________

iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mrs. Garrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: pig farming in Bolivia
Posts: 7,325
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
"One woman Hamid spoke with in line remarked that she 'didn't look scary,' but 'like a good one'."

Jesus Christ - spoken probably by the exact kind of person who would claim not to be racist on account of having a Black acquaintance. There's a silver lining in Hamid's ejection, I suppose, in that she wasn't attacked while in the crowd.
I would still like to know why she was escorted out as the video didn't really explain that. Other than perhaps it was because she was standing up when everyone else was sitting down? It would be one thing if she was yelling or whatever, but simply being in attendance is not a reason to be thrown out of the event.
__________________

Mrs. Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 21,329
Local Time: 09:49 AM
"After Hamid and three others, all wearing stars reminiscent of those worn by Jews during the Holocaust, were escorted out by police and Trump campaign officials, Trump commented on the disturbance.

"There is hatred against us that is unbelievable," Trump said. "It's their hatred, it's not our hatred.""

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:41 AM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: definitely Osaka
Posts: 7,120
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post

"There is hatred against us that is unbelievable," Trump said. "It's their hatred, it's not our hatred.""
well someone has to learn English
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:03 AM   #145
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 66,288
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
"After Hamid and three others, all wearing stars reminiscent of those worn by Jews during the Holocaust, were escorted out by police and Trump campaign officials, Trump commented on the disturbance.

"There is hatred against us that is unbelievable," Trump said. "It's their hatred, it's not our hatred.""

No them. Only us.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #146
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 08:49 AM
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...illing-america

I stumbled on this article today and I found it relevant to some of the points made in this thread, and something I've been saying for awhile. A culture of ignorance is exactly what is causing the huge riff between our so called leaders in Washington today. It's exactly why we're debating science or if immigration should be limited by religion in the year 2016. There's a large section of our society pulling the rest of the country down, retarding it's growth. It has nothing to do with intelligence or religion. It's where you fall on that spectrum from egocentric to world centric, from pre-modern to post-modern and beyond. The egocentric pre-modern folks may or may not be the minority(I'd like to believe they are), but they're extremely loud because they are losing control, and they are afraid.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #147
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,266
Local Time: 10:49 AM
Monty Python Founder: Political Correctness Can Lead To An Orwellian Nightmare

Monty Python Founder: Political Correctness Can Lead To An Orwellian Nightmare | Daily Wire
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 09:49 AM
This is downright funny. Triumph trolls the PC College crowd


Oregoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: definitely Osaka
Posts: 7,120
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
This is downright funny. Triumph trolls the PC College crowd


I marginally care about PC but Triumph is always funny regardless of the inappropreateness of his jokes
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #150
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Political Correctness

Anyone wanna take a crack at defending this, or at defending the legions who *did* take a crack at defending this?

Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #151
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,357
Local Time: 01:19 AM
Kicking Milo Yiannopoulos' ass is something we should all promote as reasonable human beings.
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #152
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
Anyone wanna take a crack at defending this, or at defending the legions who *did* take a crack at defending this?

What is there to defend? Can't we all find a video, comment section, website and say "defend this". What is your point?

I'm curious as to what you think this has to do with "political correctness"?
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #153
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Political Correctness

Point me in the direction of a story that has more to do with political correctness than a story in which an invited speaker is threatened with violence because of his political views, while security stands idly by.

I actually don't have any ill will toward the principles of BLM - I backed nearly every point they made in their infancy. But the stifling of dissenting opinions on college campuses is getting out of hand, and we really can't afford to make this a Left vs. Right (or white vs. black, for that matter) issue.

And yes, we can all play the "find something outrageous on the Internet" game. However, it isn't anywhere close to honest to say this is a universally agreed upon outrageous incident. Several university departments have supported the actions of the students, and professors have resigned over his mere presence at the school.
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:43 PM   #154
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Kicking Milo Yiannopoulos' ass is something we should all promote as reasonable human beings.

Are you the type to say, "well, let's take a look at those cartoons before passing any moral judgements, here," too?


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #155
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
Point me in the direction of a story that has more to do with political correctness than a story in which an invited speaker is threatened with violence because of his political views, while security stands idly by.

I actually don't have any ill will toward the principles of BLM - I backed nearly every point they made in their infancy. But the stifling of dissenting opinions on college campuses is getting out of hand, and we really can't afford to make this a Left vs. Right (or white vs. black, for that matter) issue.

And yes, we can all play the "find something outrageous on the Internet" game. However, it isn't anywhere close to honest to say this is a universally agreed upon outrageous incident. Several university departments have supported the actions of the students, and professors have resigned over his mere presence at the school.

So I'll admit I didn't watch the whole clip, truth is most of what Breitbart posts and twists I can't waste my time on.

I didn't see any violence in the sections I viewed, was there any?

I hate that Breitbart and now his viewers and commenters make every move that a black person does into a "BLM" movement. Did these protestors id themselves as part?

Ultimately the question is about the security, at what point do you stop free speech? Right?

Oh, and I loved the part that a bunch of white college kids started chanting "get a job", lol
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:49 AM   #156
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Political Correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
So I'll admit I didn't watch the whole clip, truth is most of what Breitbart posts and twists I can't waste my time on.



I didn't see any violence in the sections I viewed, was there any?



I hate that Breitbart and now his viewers and commenters make every move that a black person does into a "BLM" movement. Did these protestors id themselves as part?



Ultimately the question is about the security, at what point do you stop free speech? Right?



Oh, and I loved the part that a bunch of white college kids started chanting "get a job", lol

Truth be told, I've no love affair with breitbart either, as they've completely sold out for the web traffic pro-Trump coverage brings. I do have a bit of a soft spot for Yiannoppoulos, though, I can't deny this.

Apparently the guy threaten to "swing on him," or something to that degree, and the girl gets a hand within seemingly an inch or so of his face. No actual violence, but we certainly can't start moving in a direction where we decide this is a productive way of settling differences of opinions.

I'd have to watch the whole video again to get quotes, but it seems as though all news sources are in agreement in identifying them as BLM activists, and I don't believe they or the school has said otherwise (I believe someone got an interview with the guy)

I think there's an interesting discussion about what constitutes yelling fire in a crowded theater to be had though. I think this is what the anti-PC crowd and the progressives are generally disagreeing about.
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:39 AM   #157
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,357
Local Time: 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
I do have a bit of a soft spot for Yiannoppoulos, though, I can't deny this.
I'm baffled as to how any half-reasonable person could, honestly. At best he's an amusing cartoon character for wannabe edgy 15 year olds.
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #158
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I'm baffled as to how any half-reasonable person could, honestly. At best he's an amusing cartoon character for wannabe edgy 15 year olds.

At first glance, it's completely understandable to conclude that this man is the devil. But if people take the time to look further into his views than the attention-whoring sound bytes, it becomes obvious that somewhere near 90% of it is completely tongue in cheek.

Plus, it's hard not to root for the other team when you've got people continuously trying to silence him


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #159
Refugee
 
nbelcik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,592
Local Time: 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
At first glance, it's completely understandable to conclude that this man is the devil. But if people take the time to look further into his views than the attention-whoring sound bytes, it becomes obvious that somewhere near 90% of it is completely tongue in cheek.

Plus, it's hard not to root for the other team when you've got people continuously trying to silence him


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

He's a professional asshole. In no way is that admirable, even if 90% of what he says is tongue in cheek as you claim, which probably isn't true.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
nbelcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #160
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Political Correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
He's a professional asshole. In no way is that admirable

Here's where we disagree. To varying degrees, I see the value in cultural rabble rousers. From the communists of the 60s, to the punks of the 70s, to our current anti-PC crowds -- there's something to be gained from subverting the popular culture of the time, even if people believe that the popular culture is generally good.

With no counter cultural movements, the slope toward an echo chamber can become quite steep.
__________________

Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×