PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The purpose of all these "outrageous" statements and stunts is not for something like this to actually happen, it's to get people talking about it and getting the issue into the public conscience...

I have a lot of problems with PETA, but I also don't understand why so many people take stunts like this seriously. Maybe PETA should use more ;) emoticons.

It's not weird when you consider that we are the one species that knows to make that shit into CHOCOLATE MILK!

or phish food.

i just think it's kinda weird. i wouldn't drink milk from another person's teet (who has been tested and found free of disease). so the thought of taking it from another animal is kinda weird to me too. i'm also lactose intolerant, so there's that. that doesn't stop me from the occasional brie, it's just weird to me when i sit and think about it.

And logically even if no one used animals for food at all it wouldn't be a sudden cessation of the practice, but something that slowed down and gradually stopped.

Thank you! I always hear this stupid argument; "OMG we'd be up to our eyebrows with cows and chickens OH NOES!!" :blahblah: Obviously everyone on the planet is not going to stop consuming animal products over night.

I have a lot of problems with PETA, but I also don't understand why so many people take stunts like this seriously. Maybe PETA should use more ;) emoticons.

Exactly, there is such a hatred for them, I don't agree with a lot of what they say but I have to give them credit for bringing the moral issue of animal rights into the public concience better than anyone else up until now.

Oh, PETA! You make being a vegetarian so much tougher.

:hi5:

i just think it's kinda weird. i wouldn't drink milk from another person's teet (who has been tested and found free of disease). so the thought of taking it from another animal is kinda weird to me too. i'm also lactose intolerant, so there's that. that doesn't stop me from the occasional brie, it's just weird to me when i sit and think about it.

:yes: when was the last time you saw an animal in the wild start drinking another's milk?

it's not like it's all that hard to tell who he is. how many people do you know with that many body piercings? srsly. that's kinda cool he turned art into functionality though. i would've never thought of that.

perhaps I could take Peta a bit more seriously if they didn't use tactics that are out of the Westboro Baptist Church playbook.

does anyone else think it is bizarre that humans are the only ones who consume other animals' milk and drink milk after pregnancy?

Yes. I think it's weird and gross and I don't consume any milk.

I'm also lactose intolerant, and it concerns me that more people aren't educated about the dairy lobby and the many studies that have shown the negative effects of consuming cow's milk.

does anyone else think it is bizarre that humans are the only ones who consume other animals' milk and drink milk after pregnancy?

I lived in America's Dairy Land (aka Wisconsin) for 26 years before moving to Seattle, so it should be no surprise that the idea had never even occurred to me until someone said the same thing to me.

My response: "Huh."

It's a very good question, but you can have my cheese when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

There was nothing I loved more than the warm, fresh milk right after may grandparents melked the cows.

So long ago. :(
Never thought of it, really. Was just natural for me either, and no one ever asked. The cats didn't complain either.

i never have liked milk.. never drank it as a kid but i love cottage cheese, yoghurt and cheese so as cori said, you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands too.

you can have my cheese when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

:up:

I'm a big fan of cheese and ice cream, but not milk. The weird thing is, after not drinking any milk at all since I was a teen, the day before this thread started, I picked up a litre of chocolate milk on a whim, as I was walking through the dairy section of my grocery store. It's been good, but I can't see it becoming a regular thing.

I actually do like cheese but not cottage cheese or cream cheese - I could never stomach those but interestingly a hard cheese like a cheddar never bothered my stomach that much. I can't do yogurt or sour cream at all though.

Milk, for me, is one of those things that tastes great - until you think about what it actually is that you're drinking. The same goes for eggs. The idea of drinking human milk disgusts me just as much as the idea of drinking anything's milk, when I think about it :|

I drank a lot of milk growing up - always had a full glass with dinner, it's just what we did in my family. It was tasty.

Nowadays I very rarely drink plain milk. But I eat a lot of cereal with milk and drink a lot of lattes, although I tend to mix up my latte consumption with soy milk. I can't even stand the idea of soy milk on cereal, though. (Yes, I'm a very picky eater.)

If I ever became lactose intolerant, I would cry for months.

If I ever became lactose intolerant, I would cry for months.

Haha!

You know people ask me this all the time - but believe me, if milk did to you what it does to lactose intolerant people you'd be sickened by the thought of it so I'm not sure you'd miss it that much. It really makes you develop a psychological barrier against it.

Mercifully I grew up with a Mom who was also lactose intolerant so that was very nice. I still remember sitting there in school as a little kid in tears because the teacher forced me to finish my milk because it was "good" for me.

Haha!

You know people ask me this all the time - but believe me, if milk did to you what it does to lactose intolerant people you'd be sickened by the thought of it so I'm not sure you'd miss it that much. It really makes you develop a psychological barrier against it.

Mercifully I grew up with a Mom who was also lactose intolerant so that was very nice. I still remember sitting there in school as a little kid in tears because the teacher forced me to finish my milk because it was "good" for me.

Oh my god that's horrific :shocked: I'm a big milk drinker, but I can completely understand how people feel like that about it. My best friend is lactose intolerant and finds it to be a real difficulty, other people just think she 'doesn't like it' :huh:

Oh my god that's horrific :shocked: I'm a big milk drinker, but I can completely understand how people feel like that about it. My best friend is lactose intolerant and finds it to be a real difficulty, other people just think she 'doesn't like it' :huh:

When I was 5 I probably did scream "I don't like it! It makes me sick!" which they of course took to mean that I was a picky eater.

I eat a lot of cereal with milk

I forgot about milk consumed with cereal! Although I use very, very little. Probably less than a half a cup. And I don't eat cereal daily, maybe a few times a week.

Oh, and yogurt. I loves me some yogurt.

I still remember sitting there in school as a little kid in tears because the teacher forced me to finish my milk because it was "good" for me.

That's horrible! I hope your mom bitch-slapped her.

does anyone else think it is bizarre that humans are the only ones who consume other animals' milk

No, because it's not true - orphaned mammals are sometimes adopted and nursed by lactating females of a different species.

6.jpg

7bee3e4556e32f4bc491b445bc07b8296e7.jpg

img_0506.jpg

image.html

It's less common in the wild, but not unheard of.

That's horrible! I hope your mom bitch-slapped her.

My school had a snack and school lunch program. My parents took me out of that and packed my own lunch. I remember there were 2 other kids in my class who did the same thing so I had company at lunch. I had a big crush on the boy so hey, worked out for me. :flirt:

When I was 5 I probably did scream "I don't like it! It makes me sick!" which they of course took to mean that I was a picky eater.

People who don't have issues with food/drink can't possibly empathize with those who do :down:

Back
Top Bottom