Personhood Amendments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday Phil (husband) and I were talking about something and he said something like, "I guess if Romney wins, things probably won't change for us anyway..." and I said, "Maybe not for YOU but they might for me...."
exactly! i'm not knocking phil at all since i think he's a nice guy and all, but i've heard other people make similar comments. they're all guys.

I really hate people sometimes. All rape is horrible, no matter how you try to phrase it. By qualifying it with "forcible", you're trying to somehow create varying degrees of rape, which is downright wrong.
exactly. there's non-forcible rape?

"hey girl can i rape you?"
"uhhh no i don't think so"
"aww come on, please?"
"well....okay"

no. all rape involves a man forcing himself on a woman. if we've got to put labels on "kinds" of rape then fine, there's violent and non-violent, but even that i think is a bit ridiculous. no matter whether the woman was passed out drunk or some jerk broke into her home and beat her into submission, she's traumatised. to make it out to be some sort of contest or something as to what's bad rape or good rape or something is unnecessary. whatever happened to just saying rape is wrong no matter what?

exactly! i'm not knocking phil at all since i think he's a nice guy and all, but i've heard other people make similar comments. they're all guys.

exactly. there's non-forcible rape?

"hey girl can i rape you?"
"uhhh no i don't think so"
"aww come on, please?"
"well....okay"

no. all rape involves a man forcing himself on a woman. if we've got to put labels on "kinds" of rape then fine, there's violent and non-violent, but even that i think is a bit ridiculous. no matter whether the woman was passed out drunk or some jerk broke into her home and beat her into submission, she's traumatised. to make it out to be some sort of contest or something as to what's bad rape or good rape or something is unnecessary. whatever happened to just saying rape is wrong no matter what?

I think someone might consider statutory (is that the right word??) rape a non forcible rape situation. A 17 year old male has sex with his 15 year old girlfriend while parents are downstairs. Parents find out....

I agree though, rape is rape. Regardless of it being extremely violent or if the gal is drugged.

:rolleyes: Way to elevate the discussion, Piers.

Yeah, that was my reaction, too. Oooh, you're so bold, sitting there with the camera pointed at his empty chair! One of the TVs at the gym last night was on CNN, so that's the only reason I saw it.

I can't stand that guy.

Another TV was tuned to MSNBC (not a channel I watch often, to be honest; I'd even say I see more of Fox News than I do of MSNBC, but ANYWAY), and on Rachel Maddow's show, she was demonstrating how public figures have had many appalling things to say about rape over the years. So gross.

I know! So if somebody rufies you at a bar and then rapes you that's somehow a less bad rape because they didn't also beat the shit out of you at the same time? Then again if you were at the bar, obv you were dressed provocatively and deserved it according to some of these enlightened individuals.

One of the news channels last night had a "pull out" headline on the screen. I laughed.

(Inwardly. I can't appear to be laughing or talking to myself at the gym. It's unseemly.)

It's fine for other people to do it. :wink: Me, I'm the one bobbing her head to the iPod's rhythm, even if the feet are moving to a different beat.

Rep. Steve King: I’ve Never Heard Of A Girl Getting Pregnant From Statutory Rape Or Incest | TPM2012

Sigh.

Yes, so apparently he meant "I don't know anyone PERSONALLY this has happened to."

Well, then I'm so glad he decided to make a statement about it.

Please alert the media: I've never heard of a man raping a woman.

.... oh sorry, I meant I didn't PERSONALLY know any men who raped women. Jeez, get the context right!

But what an odd thing to say in any context :huh:

Seriously, what is wrong with these folks?

I think someone might consider statutory (is that the right word??) rape a non forcible rape situation. A 17 year old male has sex with his 15 year old girlfriend while parents are downstairs. Parents find out....

I agree though, rape is rape. Regardless of it being extremely violent or if the gal is drugged.
oh i agree, i think the term statutory rape is stupid. it isn't rape. like you said, it just means a 17 year old guy had sex with his girlfriend who's probably just one, maybe two years younger than him. yet he gets arrested and slapped with a charge that carries the word rape with it (statutory rape yes, but still) and in some states even has to register as a sex offender. talk about an overreaction. yet add a couple years to both people and make her 18, him 20 and suddenly it's cool.

granted i'm not talking about 40 year old teachers who have sex with a 15 year old student or anything like that, i'm talking consensual sex that because one person is a minor carries this term.

I think statutory rape is still rape because to me rape is defined by the lack of consent, not the presence of physical violence. There doesn't need to be physical force involved with a lack of consent. If someone is not of consenting age, or someone is unconscious, or someone has verbally objected and is too terrified to physical fight back, it is still rape.

I think statutory rape needs to be redefined. I also don't think it is fair for an 18 year old guy who had consensual sex with his 16 year old girlfriend to be labeled as a sex offender. But if the 18 year old had sex with a 12 year old, or a 25 year old had sex with the 16 year old, then its wrong. Even if its consensual, the elder participant likely has issues to be going after someone so much younger than them.

It does vary by state. In MI, first degree is 13 and under and third degree is 13-16. 17 is a gray zone even though you're still a minor (but since statutory rape is criminal you'd probably be tried as an adult at 17).

I think statutory rape needs to be redefined. I also don't think it is fair for an 18 year old guy who had consensual sex with his 16 year old girlfriend to be labeled as a sex offender. But if the 18 year old had sex with a 12 year old, or a 25 year old had sex with the 16 year old, then its wrong. Even if its consensual, the elder participant likely has issues to be going after someone so much younger than them.
Lies is right. An 18-year-old can have sex with a consenting 16-year-old in PA, for example. So can a 19-year-old, but not a 20-year-old, as I believe it's a floating four year rule until the younger party turns 18. I don't know what the bottom age for that is, though, if it goes any younger than 16.

Todd Akin renews vow to stay in Missouri Senate race after rape comments

He really should stay in.

Why the hell should he get out? The GOP establishment did not support him at all in the primary. Again, why should he care what they think or want.

Also, anyone, any of us can have an opinion that is wrong, state it, and then change our mind and say that. He is now saying the right things about rape.

It is always wrong. period. :shrug:

We have had people say they are against gay marriage, then they change their mind. Dick Cheney and Barack Obama in 2008 both said they believe same sex marriage should not be legal. Now, they both say it should be legal.

I still would not vote for Dick Cheney. But, I can't say his opinion about gay marriage is wrong.

If I lived in MO, I would not vote for Akin. But, I can't say he should withdraw.

First, let me say this: Steve King is a fucking douchebag idiot. I am so sorry on behalf of my state for unleashing him onto the world. I don't know how the hell he's still in office.

Also, I guess Kirk Cameron has come out in support of Akin's comments, too. What a shock, I know :rolleyes: (how very Christian of him!).

Unfortunately, I have found this to be a prerequisite to be a Republican as of late. I find their platform stances in 2012 to be absolutely abhorrent when it comes to healthcare and social issues.

This is precisely why I cannot put down a vote for that party. No, the Democrats aren't perfect, either, far from it.

But dear god, the Republican Party is just frightening. On so many issues. They're horribly out of touch economically, and on social issues they are massive hypocrites and stunningly outdated in their views. I know there are some moderate Republicans out there, and I will be more than happy to listen to them, even vote for them individually if I think they've got some good ideas.

As a whole, though, no. I can't respect or support their stances. Not if they keep catering to a far right base.

Another TV was tuned to MSNBC (not a channel I watch often, to be honest; I'd even say I see more of Fox News than I do of MSNBC, but ANYWAY), and on Rachel Maddow's show, she was demonstrating how public figures have had many appalling things to say about rape over the years. So gross.

I love that she makes a point of constantly discussing issues related to the topic of women's health and rights on her show. I think it's great that she's up on all those stories and she talks about some things that don't get as much attention as they should.

But every time I see a segment about that on her show, I get so depressed and angry afterwards. I seriously did not realize this was that fucking complicated an issue for some people. My body. Not yours. You don't control it, I do. WHAT about that is so difficult to understand?

On a lighter note:

:giggle: I particularly like that second one.

And because I mentioned Steve King earlier, I just have to share this hilarious bit from a recent episode of Stephen Colbert's show about him. Enjoy, everyone:

Steve King's Dogfighting Defense - The Colbert Report - 2012-07-08 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Breaking: Todd Akin has just released a picture of the female anatomy for his supporters.

A01mx3wCAAAWn55.jpg:large

Romney's telling him to get out too and he still won't go

Rush Limbaugh urged Todd Akin to withdraw from his Senate race on Tuesday, calling the Missouri congressman's recent comments about rape "stupid."

Akin, who is challenging Senator Claire McCaskill for her seat, provoked ire when he tried to explain his anti-abortion stance over the weekend. He said that pregnancy from rape was "really rare," adding, "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down." His outrageous comments have drawn fire from both sides of the aisle.

On Tuesday, Limbaugh joined the chorus of conservative voices calling on Akin to drop out. "This was an absolutely ridiculous thing to say, to start qualifying rape in any way, legitimate — I know he apologized for it, but it's still an indication that there's more there that could potentially bubble up and be harmful," he said.

Directing his message at Akin's supporters, Limbaugh explained that his own opinion had nothing to do with the congressman's position on abortion. He said that winning the White House and Senate was crucial for the GOP, and that Akin would ultimately threaten that.

"I don't want a Joe Biden on our side," Limbaugh remarked. "We don't need any unforced errors."

Back
Top Bottom