Ongoing Mass Shooting Thread #3... that's right, a third thread. Because 'Murica.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agree.

If cops fear for their lives, then what chance do these kids and teachers have ?

We must pause and think about the convenience and fun that law abiding gun owners by right should be able to enjoy, unencumbered, when it comes to assault weapons.

What are the lives of a bunch of 4th graders sliced to ribbons when Johnny Bumpstock wishes to go shoot targets of Nancy Pelosi at the range this weekend? Would you allow saving more lives to deny him this American pleasure?

Priorities, please.

We must pause and think about the convenience and fun that law abiding gun owners by right should be able to enjoy, unencumbered, when it comes to assault weapons.

What are the lives of a bunch of 4th graders sliced to ribbons when Johnny Bumpstock wishes to go shoot targets of Nancy Pelosi at the range this weekend? Would you allow saving more lives to deny him this American pleasure?

Priorities, please.

Throughout human history sacrifice has been shown as a direct path towards happiness. While some cultures began by sacrificing external objects, animals/people in some form of appeasement to a God/spirit, in return for harvest or general well-being….others turned towards self sacrifice.

We saw this as mythology and religion grew. Christ being an obvious example. Yet further east sacrifice became more about ego/self. Buddha was a prince before enlightenment. Walked away from it all to study himself and reach liberation, only to teach the dharma to the world until his last breath. Service to others over service to self.

We have more recent examples of sacrifice. Mandela. Ghandi. MLK. Those that gave up so much of their life or their very own for the betterment of society.

We just past a national holiday dedicated to all of those who put themselves on the line to protect our way of life.

Yet millions of Americans, Gun Corporations, and our own elected officials determine the sacrifice of some freedom around the purchase of a gun is too much to ask. That children being shot at school, people going for groceries, or watching a movie is the acceptable price to pay to live in a fantasy land and stroke ones ego. All to protect an object that makes them feel secure, when in reality the sacrifice is we are all made insecure in every aspect of our lives

Did anyone go to a March For Our Lives today? I did, four years later back at another one. I'm not under any delusion that it will make any difference, but at least it's one small thing that I can do.

Grateful to live in a state that does have common sense gun laws.

Did anyone go to a March For Our Lives today? I did, four years later back at another one. I'm not under any delusion that it will make any difference, but at least it's one small thing that I can do.

Grateful to live in a state that does have common sense gun laws.

It’s strange when people point to Chicago to say that gun laws do t work, when it’s states that really decide gun laws and they should look at your state (Massachusetts) with its common sense gun laws (people do still hunt in New England) and especially … Hawaii.

Hawaii is the case that proves that gun laws are meaningless without federal action because guns can simply come in via other states.

Not so easy when you’re 2,000 miles out in the ocean.

It’s strange when people point to Chicago to say that gun laws do t work, when it’s states that really decide gun laws and they should look at your state (Massachusetts) with its common sense gun laws (people do still hunt in New England) and especially … Hawaii.

Hawaii is the case that proves that gun laws are meaningless without federal action because guns can simply come in via other states.

Not so easy when you’re 2,000 miles out in the ocean.

But as the speakers pointed out at the march MA also has gun manufacturers such as Smith and Wesson and Savage(appropriate name, guess they think that's funny) that are exporting and selling the same guns that MA bans. AR 15s and AK-47s and the others that fall under the MA assault weapons ban. So that's hypocrisy in my opinion, and I'm not against capitalism.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1535715349894668290?s=21&t=nOsa-px5qsCVu-5QpNrVdg

This is what a bill looks like when you have zero negotiating power.

I feel like the Dems are trapped with this. Nothing in it will really solve the problem. If they agree both sides can say they passed something. Yet when another horrendous shooting occurs the GQP can say “See, we came together to pass laws and they won’t work, we are done forever trying”

If the Dems don’t agree then the GQP argues in bad faith

But as the speakers pointed out at the march MA also has gun manufacturers such as Smith and Wesson and Savage(appropriate name, guess they think that's funny) that are exporting and selling the same guns that MA bans. AR 15s and AK-47s and the others that fall under the MA assault weapons ban. So that's hypocrisy in my opinion, and I'm not against capitalism.

Agreed.

So seems the gun deal is on life support because the GOP is very concerned that men, who may have slugged their girlfriend a few times after a couple of beers and a rough sports team loss, or maybe put their first wife in a hospital a decade or so ago, might now lose their gun rights. What is one supposed to do if a fight gets out of hand and she suddenly claims abuse?

Poor things.

Please, think of the men who want guns.

Should police really be assuming anything when children are being gunned down? What a tragic failure.

Uvalde police never tried to open doors to classrooms where shooter was inside, Express-News reports

A source told the San Antonio Express-News that police may have assumed the doors were locked, according to a new report.

Author: Teresa Velasco
Published: 7:27 PM CDT June 18, 2022
Updated: 7:27 PM CDT June 18, 2022

SAN ANTONIO — According to a new report by the San Antonio Express-News, a surveillance video shows police never tried to open the doors at Robb Elementary leading to the classrooms where the shooter went inside.

The report cites law enforcement close to the investigation as their source.

That source reportedly told the Express-News that police may have assumed the doors were locked and the shooter could not have locked the doors from the inside. Pete Arredondo, the district police chief in charge of law enforcement's response at Robb, has said previously that he went through a ring of keys provided by a janitor in order to try and gain entry.

The Express-News, however, reports that he was instead trying other doors nearby in an attempt to locate a master key.

The classroom doors at Robb Elementary are designed to lock automatically when they are closed with a key as the only way to open the doors on the outside, the source told the newspaper.

So I know this might be another "hot take", but I'm coming back to this...

I don't have a solution. Unlike other countries, there's one hundred million more guns than people in the U.S. Mass confiscation of guns is a non-starter. Maybe a few specific gun models could be confiscated on a state-by-state basis if there was a Huge push in the state. Maybe.

DaveC's post about Canada was helpful. I'm for any new laws (on top of our many, many current laws) if they're reasonable (in my mind), can pass a legislative body, and can hold up in court.....because not everyone agrees on what's reasonable and what isn't. That's for sure.

Do I think new gun laws will curb school shootings? No. Not on its own, at least.

I'm just curious, then, how long, exactly, do we have to keep waiting, then, for these reasonable laws that can pass a legislative body and can hold up in court to become a thing?

'Cause we'vel iiterally got them now. The Democrats have offered a lot of valid ideas to at least start trying to tackle this problem.

And guess what? One party still refuses to come on board with any of it. And it ain't the Democrats. Yet another attempt to try and pass bipartisan gun control laws falls apart because one party just can't seem to move even the slightest inch on supporting any sort of reform. We've been trying this method for the better part of a decade (even longer than that, really), with no major positive results. All that's happened is we continue to do nothing, and more mass shootings continue.

So I'm just curious, how much longer do you think we need to keep trying things the way you suggest before we finally just say, "Fuck it" and try a more drastic and bold move instead? Like, say, mass confiscation of guns.

(And mind, I'm not even saying that'd be a perfect plan, or wouldn't be fraught with its own risks. But hey, at least we'd actually be trying to do something, which is a hell of a lot more than what we're doing now.)

Hot takes are good takes, MA :D

I'm on board with all you just mentioned, minus the mass confiscation bit.

I don’t have a problem with a buyback/confiscation of assault weapons. A reasonable definition can be worked out, and then acted upon. Same with bump stocks and high capacity magazines. Really, these things only exist to kill lots of people very quickly (no matter your stance on feral hogs).

Australia did it. And if Australia can do it …

Seriously. Australia can't do anything right and they figured it out, bunch of donkos that they are

They have the communication between concerned citizens and the government worked out though...

1c43a1d4-0b5a-4794-b641-9fe3187f557d_text.gif

Yk4WAj.gif

Could you repeat that? Heaps of people constantly giving thoughts and prayers drowned you out.

Just wait a moment, I’m sure they’ll finish soon.

Sounds like they’ve just started up again.

Oh wow, they just keep going and going.

You know what, try again after I come back from visiting my federally subsidised GP. Whatever y’all are praying for has to end soon, surely.

Yep

Best of both worlds.

Show they passed something, and can claim it’s worthless to the base thanks to the courts

So, just to recap, according to the Supreme Court, it's totally cool to carry around guns freely. Sure, there's been a shitton of mass shootings, and we just had Sandy Hook, Part 2 a month ago, but hey, that's just an unfortunate side effect of the freedom to carry a gun.

But, based on what seems inevitable with their upcoming decision on Roe vs. Wade, they'll be damned if women get to abort a fetus. Because that's a precious life you're destroying!

Fucking insane.

Back
Top Bottom