Ongoing Mass Shooting Thread #3... that's right, a third thread. Because 'Murica. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,569
Local Time: 04:24 AM
Neither did I. Talk about eye-opening.

Good on them for breaking ties, though. Hopefully more companies who are connected will follow suit.
__________________

Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:16 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 21,320
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
Didn’t even know these type of partnerships existed. Insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Neither did I. Talk about eye-opening.
i'm sure it's basically the same thing as buying a membership to AAA, you get a bunch of discounts at all kinds of retailers if you show your card. it's nothing new or unique to the NRA.
__________________

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
mama cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,293
Local Time: 11:24 AM
i believe this generation of hard-right pro-gun dinosaurs are making a massive rod for their own backs right now, they can't stop the turning tide and i reckon they're terrified... young people are the future leaders - they may not have money, but they sure have the power
mama cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat...
Posts: 6,663
Local Time: 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Churchill was a mediocre military man and politician who had rightly been consigned to the backbenches. That he managed to get back to the centre of British politics is remarkable, and he was indeed pretty quotable under adversity, but the guy couldn't even hold onto government at the end of the war - despite the attempt of WWII nostalgists to cast him as the greatest of "great men".

His legacy is of course complex, and he deserves some credit, but the cult of Churchill is just insane. Rankings of "great people" are a bit silly, but it's not hard to rattle off names of people with greater claims to praise.
While the cult of Churchill is indeed a bit overblown, I do think his reputation as one of the greatest Britons is well deserved.

It's true he was a mediocre military man, and that his political career, before and after being PM, was unremarkable. He was also a drunk, a crank, unabashed imperialist and probably a white supremacist. And if you delete his years as PM, he'd be a figure with an interesting, adventurous, but otherwise unremarkable life.

But deleting the war years is a pretty big deletion. That's like saying if you delete the Civil War Lincoln was just an average lawyer. Saving Europe from fascism is a big fucking deal, and his leadership of Great Britian during those years was remarkable. There was no other politician on the scene who could have done what he did. Hitler occupies England and the war turns out very differently.

So yeah, even if all he did was save his country and help keep the world from plunging into a generation of darkness, that alone would secure his place in history.
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 21,320
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
He was also a drunk, a crank, unabashed imperialist and probably a white supremacist.
yea, and i'm "probably" breathing today.

Quote:
Saving Europe from fascism is a big fucking deal
TIL that a few eloquent speeches saved europe from fascism.

Quote:
Hitler occupies England and the war turns out very differently.
sure, except for the simple fact that an invasion of britain during world war II was 100,000% impossible and never would or could have happened.

Quote:
So yeah, even if all he did was save his country and help keep the world from plunging into a generation of darkness, that alone would secure his place in history.
oh that's right. it was churchill personally who did all that, not millions of airmen, sailors, soldiers and civilians from around the world.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat...
Posts: 6,663
Local Time: 11:24 AM
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 21,320
Local Time: 05:24 AM
(sigh)

you were just owned, and i gave you the facts to back it. all you're doing is spouting opinions about "greatest britons" and "saving the world". next thing you'll be telling me he personally flew a spitfire during the blitz.

so anytime you want to have that conversation about winston churchill, let me know sparky. i've probably forgotten more about your military history than you'll ever know.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat...
Posts: 6,663
Local Time: 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
sure, except for the simple fact that an invasion of britain during world war II was 100,000% impossible and never would or could have happened.
Yeah. Because "100,000%" impossible is a fact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
oh that's right. it was churchill personally who did all that, not millions of airmen, sailors, soldiers and civilians from around the world.
This isn't even good rubbish. Surely you can't be this obtuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
yea, and i'm "probably" breathing today.
Forget the breathing. Try thinking today.

"DaveC". LOL.
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 21,320
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Yeah. Because "100,000%" impossible is a fact!
i apologize for using numbers that were too large for you to handle.

but the point remains the same. the idea that the nazis could have successfully invaded, conquered, and occupied britain is fucking laughable. the fact you honestly presented it as a possibility confirms that you have zero clue of what you're on about.

Quote:
This isn't even good rubbish. Surely you can't be this obtuse?
okay, you've made your point. i take it back. the guys fighting on the front lines and the people getting bombed in their homes weren't the important ones. it was the fat old racist drunk making speeches on the radio and flashing the V-for-victory sign with his fingers that defeated hitler.

Quote:
"DaveC". LOL.
why the hell did you edit your post to add this in? am i supposed to feel insulted that you're apparently laughing at my very common name or something?
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat...
Posts: 6,663
Local Time: 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
but the point remains the same. the idea that the nazis could have successfully invaded, conquered, and occupied britain is fucking laughable.
Absolutely. Thank God for Churchill. Glad we agree!

Poor DaveC.

What did Churchill ever do to you give you such a case of the sads?
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 21,320
Local Time: 05:24 AM


i know that you're not actually a stupid person, so you'll have to forgive my confusion as to why you insist on acting like one.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #52
War Child
 
Iggy Fizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: A planet far, far away
Posts: 718
Local Time: 03:24 AM
It's remarkable how people are the same just about everywhere - no one ever wants to give credit or assign positive attributes to anyone they deem 'not on their side'. Dems can never credit Reagan, Repubs the same with Clinton (Bill not Shill).

It is sad, but it is what it is.
Iggy Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat...
Posts: 6,663
Local Time: 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Fizz View Post
It's remarkable how people are the same just about everywhere - no one ever wants to give credit or assign positive attributes to anyone they deem 'not on their side'. Dems can never credit Reagan, Repubs the same with Clinton (Bill not Shill).

It is sad, but it is what it is.
I think the three greatest US Presidents of the 20th century were TR, FDR & Reagan. You don't get three people more different in personality and ideology than that. I also think Bill Clinton was a pretty good President (though obviously not transformative in the way that those three were).

Churchill hatred is in vogue because, let's face it, he was a naked imperialist and his views on race weren't exactly progressive.

It should be possible for people to acknowledge that and still recognise the absolutely crucial role he played in rallying a defiant Britain against Hitler's aerial onslaught (no DaveC, I'm not saying Hitler flew the planes himself). To say nothing of Dunkirk. You simply can't dismiss the importance of Churchill's leadership in the early days, before the Americans showed up, in ultimately winning the war. A war which no doubt would have unfolded differently had Britain been appeasing rather than defiant towards Hitler.

Hitler didn't want war with Britain, and he didn't want to invade initially. He just wanted them to roll over, and when they didn't, he unleashed hell on the island (and made plans to invade, Operation Sea Lion). As for it being "100,00% impossible" for Hitler (no, not him personally) to occupy Britain...well, certainly there were logistical challenges, it's true that as things stood in the air war, such an invasion had little chance of success. But that's the point....all of that was because, in large part, Britain had a leader that mobilised his country. Who in parliament was going to do that? Halifax? LOL. And in any event, I'm certain there weren't many people who thought it was "100,000% impossible" that Hitler (not him personally, his army) would or could overrun Europe.

Churchill certainly didn't underestimate Hitler's threat. Had Hitler not had to worry about Britain, who knows what he could have done. To dismiss Churchill's leadership is to dismiss the role of leadership and personality in studying how historical events unfold. Dismissing Churchill's role in saving Britain as nothing but slogans and V symbols , or that he defeated fascism with simply eloquent speeches is like saying Hitler conquered Europe with nothing but speeches at Nuremberg. It's absurd. Leaders matter.

Anyway, this thread has been derailed enough. Back to common sense gun control.
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #54
War Child
 
Iggy Fizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: A planet far, far away
Posts: 718
Local Time: 03:24 AM
Wait, Hitler had an army?
Iggy Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 17,306
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7323.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	11796
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
probably a white supremacist.
Let's ask the people of southern Asia to weigh in on that one.
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #57
The Fly
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 296
Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
(sigh)

so anytime you want to have that conversation about winston churchill, let me know sparky. i've probably forgotten more about your military history than you'll ever know.
At least I was claiming that about my own history/political system/one time job
Wide Awake n AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,061
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4044.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	11805
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Trump cannot even handle the sight of blood, and has openly talked about this fact.
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Meanwhile, Alex Jones is begging David Hogg for an interview because YouTube deactivated his account for a second time, and Jones thinks it's because Hogg pointed out that he's called Sandy Hook a false flag.
__________________

PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×