Ongoing Mass Shooting Thread #3... that's right, a third thread. Because 'Murica.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even if you rid of it. Removing every gun in America is not going to go well. Would everybody that owned immediately become a criminal?
Oh for fucks sake. Like you actually think that's what anyone would advocate for. People are dead, get your grandstanding out of here for at least a day, please. What a pathetic attempt, at that.

Even if you rid of it. Removing every gun in America is not going to go well. Would everybody that owned immediately become a criminal?

It’s not an overnight thing. It’s not even a change for a decade. That’s generational.

Accepting a process that could take 20-30-40-50 years to fully implement is still progress. Gun buyback programs. Antiquitization of certain classes of firearms. Grandfathering programs. Remote lock and key programs for sporting.

Oh for fucks sake. Like you actually think that's what anyone would advocate for. People are dead, get your grandstanding out of here for at least a day, please. What a pathetic attempt, at that.

Sorry, I'm new. It just seemed like cursing out a whole amendment doesn't move the ball forward for safety.

I'll lay low

We tax the shit out of tobacco.

Tax the shit out of guns and ammo. Use the revenue to fund training, education and buy back programs.

Ban expanded magazines and modifications that increase fire rate.

Require nationwide licensing for all gun owners.

Close the gun show loop holes.

Allow victims to sue the manufacturers.

This isn't hard.

I still get angry to the point that I need to take a walk to calm down whenever I think of Newtown.

I know the feeling.

This is the second mass shooting in about two weeks' or so time. Just gonna point that out, too.

Seriously, whenever we get our next Democratic president, and a Democratic majority in Congress, they need to go all in on passing as much gun control legislation as they possibly can. If the anti-gun control crowd doesn't like it, tough shit. Really well past the point of caring or wanting to cater to them. Our allies managed to figure this shit out ages ago, so we should be able to do the same.

Dana Loesch is evil. THIS is what she tweeted this morning. She and the rest of the fucking NRA can go to hell.

Drf8LMLVYAADvxy.jpg:large

There were apparently 50 or so survivors of Las Vegas at this bar last night. Some didn't make it home.

Yeah, I heard about that :|.

You know, maybe everybody who's survived a mass shooting and/or lost somebody to a mass shooting should gather outside the White House, all the while holding photos of those who died, and do a sit-in. Make the politicians have to look at them as they go to work every day.

You don't think the copious amounts of money they get from the NRA influence them? We're not talking 2nd amendment repeal here, we can't get anything passed. You're telling me, if the NRA weren't donating that money we still wouldn't get any legislation passed?

I’m saying they feel no guilt accepting that money whatsoever, and do not feel indebted to the NRA. They might fear crossing the NRA, but those people elected under NRA support do not feel like they’re doing the wrong thing.

I’m saying they feel no guilt accepting that money whatsoever, and do not feel indebted to the NRA. They might fear crossing the NRA, but those people elected under NRA support do not feel like they’re doing the wrong thing.
I seriously think you're underestimating the nra's financial interests and overestimating the number of true believers in the GOP.

I seriously think you're underestimating the nra's financial interests and overestimating the number of true believers in the GOP.

Define “true believers”. I’m not suggesting they are all religious about their guns. I’m suggesting they are not bothered by it.

You’re a smart person. Most people who post here are smart people. I think where we all struggle a bit is to comprehend why not-smart does what not-smart does. So I’m not just talking about the folks receiving money, but their constituents as well.

Not saying I’m necessarily correct, but I really think those GOP congresspeople answer just as much to their constituents as they do to the NRA.

Gun control is very popular. Don’t something like 85% of the American public want expanded background checks?

Why doesn’t something popular like that get passed?

Define “true believers”. I’m not suggesting they are all religious about their guns. I’m suggesting they are not bothered by it.

You’re a smart person. Most people who post here are smart people. I think where we all struggle a bit is to comprehend why not-smart does what not-smart does. So I’m not just talking about the folks receiving money, but their constituents as well.

Not saying I’m necessarily correct, but I really think those GOP congresspeople answer just as much to their constituents as they do to the NRA.

Gun control is very popular. Don’t something like 85% of the American public want expanded background checks?

This is pretty much my same response so I'll just repost.

Sensible gun control is overwhelmingly favored. It doesn't get passed because of NRA money.

The NRA's likes to pretend that they get their funding from regular Joe gun owner. They do not. It's a small percentage. They get dunded by gun manufacturers, who are quite literally the only ones who lose if sensible gun control is enacted.

There are a few in the house who would not support any kind of gun control - whether it's their own beliefs or because of the district they represent. This is a very small percentage, and the numbers bare that out.

If not for gun manufacturer money, we'd have more common sense gun laws.

Last edited:
A man who survived a mass shooting in Las Vegas last year was among those killed in Wednesday's attack in California, his family says.

Telemachus Orfanos, 27, died alongside 11 others when a man opened fire at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, north-west of Los Angeles.

He escaped death last year when a gunman killed 58 people in Las Vegas.

A number of survivors of that shooting, the worst in modern US history, have said they were at the bar on Wednesday.

"My son was in Las Vegas with a lot of his friends and he came home. He didn't come home last night," his mother told ABC News.

"I don't want prayers, I don't want thoughts, I want gun control", she said.

"It's particularly ironic that after surviving the worst mass shooting in modern history, he went on to be killed in his hometown," his father told the Ventura County Star.

This is America.

Thoughts and prayers x100 should help his grieving family.

Horrific.

I heard over 90% from Ari on MSNBC. It's hilarious to say the GOP are just doing what their constituents want. No nra influence here.

I heard over 90% from Ari on MSNBC. It's hilarious to say the GOP are just doing what their constituents want. No nra influence here.
I will say that as the GOP sheds moderates like a Golden Retriever sheds hair, the constituents likely begin to actually fall more in line with what the NRA is spewing.

I’m not sure it’s “hilarious” at all.

And supporting expanded background checks is absolutely a whole lot of nothing. That’s one of those things, like “o if ur on the no fly list u kant by a gun.”

That shit won’t stop a fly. People support it from the right because it doesn’t stop them.

Every poll I’ve seen tends to be around 2/3rds support for ~something~. And it usually boils down to 90% democrats and 50% republicans. And I can guarantee you that within that 50% of republicans, they are less likely to prioritize it as important, feel strongly about it, or care.

You guys are giving a lot of people way more credit than they deserve.

The point is, LN7, that even if 90% support something as fluffy as expanded background checks, it doesn't matter, because the GOP is still voting against it. So, yeah, they don't give 2 shits what their constituents want when it comes to gun control. They are bought and paid for and it's pretty head in the sand to think otherwise.

Last edited:
The point is, LN7, that even if 90% support something as fluffy as expanded background checks, it doesn't matter, because the GOP is still voting against it. So, yeah, they don't give 2 shits what their constituents want when it comes to gun control. They are bought and paid for and it's pretty head in the sand to think otherwise.

Ultimately, though, it’s not 90%. That’s the thing. Even in the scenario where a real public opinion is 90%, you’re misidentifying who “their constituents” are.

Their constituents are republicans. Make no mistake, we have hit an all time low on who-represents-who. They don’t represent the 90%. They represent the easier-to-obscure-gives-less-of-a-shit 60% from within that 90%.

You’re making this out to suggest I’m defending them. I’m rationalizing. If 90% believed in something and it didn’t get done, people would do something about it. But it’s not 90-10. It’s not that black and white. There’s a segment within that 90% that doesn’t give a shit.

That seems to suggest exactly what I’m saying. Republicans have required scores murdered in mass shootings to even reach half support for “stricter gun laws.”

How much of that 15% increase in republicans form 2016 to now do you think were *enlightened*? How much of the original 35% do you think were staunch in their support for stricter gun laws?

Answer: very few on both.

Back
Top Bottom