Obama General Discussion, vol. 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Highest consumer confidence in 7 years, best job gains in 15 years, inflation in check, nearly tripled dow jones, hell, even gas prices are down.

I blame Obama.

:up:

Ill just go ahead and say it, well done Obama.

Anytime the economy is doing well its good for everyone.

Noticed the gas station behind my house is advertising unleaded for....$1.80 a gallon. No shit!

Can't remember the last time i saw gas this cheap.

Again, well done Obama. :applaud::up:

According to what I have read, Al Sharpton has been to the White House more than 70 times.

That to me, would be like a Republican president having the Grand Wizard of the KKK over for guidance and input.

I remember the night he won the election, Juan Williams (a black Fox News contributor) was asked about Obama being so far left politically would that be his policy.

Williams responded that he believed Obama would govern from the center (not the far left) and bring us together.

I really hoped he would.

He didn't.

That to me, would be like a Republican president having the Grand Wizard of the KKK over for guidance and input.

riri_zps9700e0bf.gif

According to what I have read, Al Sharpton has been to the White House more than 70 times.

Do you honestly believe Al Sharpton is the equivalent of the Grand Wizard of the KKK? Or is this just bullshit hyperbole?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Maybe Billy Graham or some other mega-famous squawking preacher (who is white, considering that's really what you're trying to say without actually saying it) would have been a more apt comparison, and potentially made your point.

I remember the night he won the election, Juan Williams (a black Fox News contributor) was asked about Obama being so far left politically would that be his policy.

Williams responded that he believed Obama would govern from the center (not the far left) and bring us together.

I really hoped he would.

He didn't.

And who's fault is that, his own or the "do nothing that is remotely supportive of anything Obama wants to do lest ye be labeled 'liberal' (which apparently many conservatives think is a horrendous insult, although I don't know a single true liberal who is actually upset when someone calls them that)" Congress he's had to deal with for the past 6 years?

Senator Robert Byrd - D - WV used to be a KKK member. He was President Pro Tempore of the US Senate. That meant he was third in line to the US Presidency. Talk about some baggage they let slide.

I really hoped he would.

He didn't.

He also visited with Bush. Get your facts and analogies straight, otherwise you are just another race baiter.

Senator Robert Byrd - D - WV used to be a KKK member. He was President Pro Tempore of the US Senate. That meant he was third in line to the US Presidency. Talk about some baggage they let slide.
Do you care to explain why you brought this up? The man denounced the KKK for decades and is now passed, what does this have to do with the current conversation? Are we to bring up past Republicans as well?

Do you seriously believe Obama is really far left? Seriously?

For fuck's sakes, if Obama is far left then I must be so fucking far off the charts that I can't see the centre let alone where you're sitting. :laugh:

I hope everyone is loving their gas prices! ........(even though American oil companies are going to go out of business and we're gonna lose millions of jobs).......it's sure great now!

I hope everyone is loving their gas prices! ........(even though American oil companies are going to go out of business and we're gonna lose millions of jobs).......it's sure great now!

:lmao: Is this based on your vast knowledge of how much oil prices have fluctuated throughout history?

Look, American oil companies will go out of business if they don't adapt, but that will be a long time from now.

You mean the oil business acts like every single other industry when prices are volatile? Who would ever have guessed.

When I moved out to LA, everyone told me how unaffordable gas would be. Lmao.

$2.59 during the holidays :up:

How did these poor oil companies manage to stay in business before 2005 or whatever, when oil prices started getting really insanely high?

Even if the low cost of oil is bad for some in that industry, its almost universally good for every other industry on the planet, as well as the consumer.

I heard the other week that when the oil/gas prices dip like this, sales of SUVs and other big cars go up.

That never fails to baffle me. "Whoo-hoo! Cheap gas, so I can afford a giant gas-guzzler! Prices will never rise again!"

I heard the other week that when the oil/gas prices dip like this, sales of SUVs and other big cars go up.

That never fails to baffle me. "Whoo-hoo! Cheap gas, so I can afford a giant gas-guzzler! Prices will never rise again!"

Tell me about it. And good luck selling a used vehicle like that when the economy has imploded along with a gas high (like back in '08)...you figure people that would refrain from buying something so unnecessary would avoid making such a purchase for the rest of their lives, but your average person is the same sort of idiot that thinks driving an extra 20 MPH over a ten mile drive is going to stop them from being late to work or will drive five miles out of their way to purchase gas that is five cents cheaper a gallon.

Some people buy those big SUVs because they have large families, or they haul stuff around (business), they like to sit up high, or maybe they are just big people themselves and cannot fit into smaller cars.

Of course there are some people who buy them for status or whatever. Most people i know who drive these big SUVs also have other vehicles. The ones who don't, that i know personally, typically don't drive that far.

I would not rush to call someone's purchase of an SUV unnecessary unless you know that persons particular situation.

Right, I mean, I understand needing them for families or just for more room in general. But ... would the price of gas drive that decision? I mean, if you need an SUV/bigger vehicle, you need a bigger vehicle. My post wasn't intended as "HURR DURR YOU GAS GUZZLERS, BUY A PRIUS."

Does a drop in the price of gas really drive people to buy new cars in general? Because you seem to only hear news blurbs about the bigger cars increasing in sales when the gas dips. :shrug: It's not like oil price drops equals car price drops in general. (Or does it? Seriously, that's why I'm asking.)

I don't know if there is a relationship in what type of cars are selling and the drop in gas prices. This time of year is normally slow for auto sales in general, which is why a lot of car retailers have their big year end sales, more incentives and rebates, etc.

I did hear on the news the other day that car sales were up recently. Not sure if thats related to gas prices or economic growth as a whole. But i have the opinion that cheaper oil is good for the economy overall, which could be related to increased car sales.

I don't own an SUV because i really don't need one, but i did buy a new car in early November. Though that had nothing to do with cheaper gas prices or the economy, i just do what i do.

Do you seriously believe Obama is really far left? Seriously?

For fuck's sakes, if Obama is far left then I must be so fucking far off the charts that I can't see the centre let alone where you're sitting. :laugh:
hahaha, i know. sadly though, on america's political spectrum, he is considered to be left, if not far left. looking at it globally, i'd say he's a centrist.

i'm like you though, i'm far left by american standards but still far left by global standards. i took a german politics class about a year or so and it was funny discussing issues in germany and watching as they got more extreme in leftist orientation, it just became me and one other classmate agreeing with them.

this baffles me too. if gas were FREE, yes free, as in it cost me nothing, i'd still pick an economical car any day. they're usually cheaper than the gas guzzlers anyway (going purely off prices of new cars) so it's really win-win. you mean i can pay less for gas AND less for the car itself? niiiiice.

i'm hoping i can buy a new car some time in 2015 and believe me, i'm looking at the teensy cars. i know families probably can't live with something that's only got two doors or has four but is small, but i also don't get people who buy huge suvs and trucks (i know said people so i'm not assuming just because a woman is driving her suv alone that she's single and childless) when they have no dogs or kids or anything to haul around. oh well.

KhanadaRhodes said:
this baffles me too. if gas were FREE, yes free, as in it cost me nothing, i'd still pick an economical car any day. they're usually cheaper than the gas guzzlers anyway (going purely off prices of new cars) so it's really win-win. you mean i can pay less for gas AND less for the car itself? niiiiice.

i'm hoping i can buy a new car some time in 2015 and believe me, i'm looking at the teensy cars. i know families probably can't live with something that's only got two doors or has four but is small, but i also don't get people who buy huge suvs and trucks (i know said people so i'm not assuming just because a woman is driving her suv alone that she's single and childless) when they have no dogs or kids or anything to haul around. oh well.

my thoughts exactly, I was looking at getting a car this summer and was looking at fuel-efficient options but decided that the time wasn't right then. Even still, I would stick to the same criteria (small and efficient), no matter what the price of gas.

My grandfather just bought a giant SUV last month, and I have no idea why considering he lives completely on his own and has nothing to haul or carry. But he likes to sit up high and he feels safer in it, so if it makes him happy I have a hard time saying he shouldn't do it.

On thing i noticed that surprised me was that many of the big SUVs can cost as much (or more) than a sports car. I guess i was ignorant to that somehow, though i shouldn't have been. But anyway, if a person drops 70 grand (or more) on a new SUV and then complains about high fuel prices then something is not right with them. You would think someone who could afford the cost of the vehicle wouldn't complain about the operating costs as well.

Having said that, of course, its nice to see cheaper oil and gas now as we've been getting screwed for years. Today the station near me is $1.73 per gallon. Thats awesome. :up:

Back
Top Bottom