North Carolina No Longer Classified as a Democracy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
First, legislative power does not depend on the votes of the people. One party wins just half the votes but 100 percent of the power. The GOP has a huge legislative majority giving it absolute veto-proof control with that tiny advantage in the popular vote. The other party wins just a handful of votes less and 0 percent of the legislative power. This is above and beyond the way in which state legislators are detached from democratic accountability as a result of the rigged district boundaries. They are beholden to their party bosses, not the voters. Seventy-six of the 170 (45 percent) incumbent state legislators were not even opposed by the other party in the general election.

Second, democracies do not limit their citizens’ rights on the basis of their born identities. However, this is exactly what the North Carolina legislature did through House Bill 2 (there are an estimated 38,000 transgender Tar Heels), targeted attempts to reduce African-American and Latino access to the vote and pernicious laws to constrain the ability of women to act as autonomous citizens.

Third, government in North Carolina has become arbitrary and detached from popular will. When, in response to losing the governorship, one party uses its legislative dominance to take away significant executive power, it is a direct attack upon the separation of powers that defines American democracy. When a wounded legislative leadership, and a lame-duck executive, force through draconian changes with no time for robust review and debate it leaves Carolina no better than the authoritarian regimes we look down upon

Read more here: Point of View: North Carolina no longer a democracy | News & Observer

Is this the beginning of the fall of American democracy?

No Trump was the beginning, this is just a continuation of the GOP setting this country on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

No Trump was the beginning, this is just a continuation of the GOP setting this country on fire.

It certainly looks that way. But what is their agenda? What's their end game? Does the GOP really want to ruin the US? I mean this seriously, not rhetorically. What are they actually doing this for?

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

They want 1950s life again. You know, women cook. Black people aren't around. And we all just wait till Jesus comes back to rapture.

I honestly think we are doomed. We have elected a man who's an idiot, but the people who actually govern want the end of the world as it fits their beliefs.

The worse things get, the more suffering, the better

Over two millennia ago, a new hope was born into the world, a Savior who would offer the promise of salvation to all mankind," RNC chairman Reince Priebus and co-chair Sharon Day said in the statement.
"Just as the three wise men did on that night, this Christmas heralds a time to celebrate the good news of a new King. We hope Americans celebrating Christmas today will enjoy a day of festivities and a renewed closeness with family and friends."

Social media erupts over GOP statement about 'new King' | TheHill

Holy crap.

Is the GOP really a christian fundamentalism party? Over here I assume that's just pockets of the party.
Regardless, comparing jesus to trump is pretty funny in so so many ways.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Don't tell me you are one of the people who says there's nothing at all wrong with that statement, Diemen?

There is no question that the statement compares Trump to both Jesus and a King. All should be furious. The religious and the American Patriot alike.

I'm not sure if I'm more bothered by any comparison of Trump to a monarch or the fact that anyone could seemingly view Trump as... Christ-like.

I think it's an unfortunately worded statement, but I think it's meant as a "we celebrate the birth of a new king (Jesus) every year" kind of way and not a "this year we celebrate our new king Donald Trump" way.

At least that's what I'm telling myself on Christmas Day to preserve my sanity. ;)

They want 1950s life again. You know, women cook. Black people aren't around. And we all just wait till Jesus comes back to rapture.

I honestly think we are doomed. We have elected a man who's an idiot, but the people who actually govern want the end of the world as it fits their beliefs.

The worse things get, the more suffering, the better

You definitely sum it up in its entirety.

Two things we can confirm is that either is this guy brings us another third world war or gets assassinated.

Back
Top Bottom