New York's Finest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's a nice story

go back in a couple of days, and good chance he will be barefoot again , he will have sold those $100 shoes for $10

Funny, you say that because allegedly he's barefoot again. But, only because he felt the shoes were too valuable and chose to hide them somewhere to keep them safe.

And Headache, I definitely remember when Governor Pataki came along and started shutting down all the mental hospitals. If I recall, you were a Kings Park boy. If I'm mistaken, please forgive me. :wink:

So that story about the man who was killed, is that the one I've been hearing about all over today, the one that involved the New York Post taking that photo and splashing it across their front page and the photographer just standing there snapping away?

(I'm with all others who are outraged by the Post's decisions regarding that, by the way. From what I've heard about the Post it doesn't sound that out of character for them, sensationalistic is what they do as I understand it, but still...that's pretty cold nonetheless.)

And I agree with MrsS's post. The fact that mental health facilities are struggling because of budget cuts is just absurd. Of all the things that we can cut funding for, those places don't seem like they'd be among my first picks.

So that story about the man who was killed, is that the one I've been hearing about all over today, the one that involved the New York Post taking that photo and splashing it across their front page and the photographer just standing there snapping away?

Yes-he says he was using the flash to try to get the driver to stop, and that he was too far away from the man to help him. I know it's a crazy situation, but I just can't imagine standing there and taking pictures.

Moonlit, check out the story a little further on the photographer. He actually tried to help the man, but he was too far away. He was snapping photos but his camera was still set for outdoors and he had no idea what he was shooting until afterward. There were others who were closer, but did nothing. The Post of course is going to be the Post and shamelessly show the photo.

If you want an explanation from R. Umar Abbassi, the New York Post freelance photographer who captured the last moments of Ki Suk Han's life before Han was struck by an oncoming New York subway train Monday — why he didn't lend a hand, say — you're going to have to pay him, as CNN found out Tuesday evening.
"Reached by CNN, Abbasi was adamant that he would talk to the network only for pay," reports CNN's Michael Pearson.

The Post's Subway Photographer Will Only Talk to You For Money - National - The Atlantic Wire

I just don't get it...

Moonlit, check out the story a little further on the photographer. He actually tried to help the man, but he was too far away. He was snapping photos but his camera was still set for outdoors and he had no idea what he was shooting until afterward. There were others who were closer, but did nothing. The Post of course is going to be the Post and shamelessly show the photo.

By "tried to help the man", are you referring to his statement that he hoped his flash would be a warning signal?

'Cause if that's the case, yeah, I'd heard that one, and I can understand feeling helpless if you're too far away and don't think you'll get there in time. But even then, I'd still suggest maybe shouting out, at least, or trying to order someone who is closer to try and help him, or something. But if he didn't know what he'd been shooting...

Course, Pearl's article makes his claims sound really suspicious now. Either way, a tragic situation that really didn't need to end the way it did.

the photo was clearly rushed, as the settings are all off... The Q train has a yellow logo, not red. So it was clearly rushed... But the whole thing of him trying to stop the train? That's a load of BS.

I can't really blame him... He is a photographer after all. Its his job to take pictures. My favorite part of the whole thing is when CNN and NBC blast the Post for publishing the photo, and then show you the photo.

As far as helping the man? Apparently the pusher was still in the area. So you'd have to take care of him first, because who's to say he won't push you, too.

In all honesty, the best thing to do if you find yourself on the tracks is to run in the opposite direction of the train. Hopefully none of us ever have to be in that situation.

And Headache, I definitely remember when Governor Pataki came along and started shutting down all the mental hospitals. If I recall, you were a Kings Park boy. If I'm mistaken, please forgive me. :wink:

Correct sir. 9,000 patients lived there at its peak. Place was like straight outta Cuckoo's Nest.

image.JPG

Now? Abandoned.

In elementary school, every now and then we had to go into lockdown because somebody escaped. When it was shut down they simply let many of the patients go, or placed them in low security halfway houses where they could come and go as they please. Obviously many of them go and never come back.

So needless to say, today when I see a grown man in a teal dress and statue of liberty hat ride a bike down Lexington Avenue, it reminds me of my youth.

I can't really blame him... He is a photographer after all. Its his job to take pictures.

It may be his job, sure, but at that moment, trying to help a man in danger would be more important, I'd think. Even if he couldn't actively get to him, at least try and alert someone else closer by or something.

That said, however...

My favorite part of the whole thing is when CNN and NBC blast the Post for publishing the photo, and then show you the photo.

As far as helping the man? Apparently the pusher was still in the area. So you'd have to take care of him first, because who's to say he won't push you, too.

...these are both good points, too.

I just think he was too far away to help... but didn't want to look like a huge douche for simply snapping pictures, so he came up with some bogus story about trying to use the flash to get the engineer's attention and came off sounding like an even bigger douche than if he had just told the truth.

Helping someone who falls on the tracks is a tough call... It obviously depends on the circumstances. If the train is coming quickly, helping the person will likely put your own life at risk. Add in a deranged man still in the area and you've got a situation where, frankly, most of us wouldn't help, even if we wanted to.

sad terrible story...

Correct sir. 9,000 patients lived there at its peak. Place was like straight outta Cuckoo's Nest.

image.JPG

Now? Abandoned.

In elementary school, every now and then we had to go into lockdown because somebody escaped. When it was shut down they simply let many of the patients go, or placed them in low security halfway houses where they could come and go as they please. Obviously many of them go and never come back.

So needless to say, today when I see a grown man in a teal dress and statue of liberty hat ride a bike down Lexington Avenue, it reminds me of my youth.

Nice pic of the place. Back in the mid-2000's, we drove onto the property and checked out some of the abandoned buildings. We went there during the day. Pretty creepy. I didn't have the balls to go to the place at night.

On a side note- The cop who gave the homeless dude the socks and the shoes is from my current hometown of Holbrook, NY. Representin'! :hyper:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom