Much Ado About Rachel Maddow's Yearbook Photo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I remember when my mother saw her on tv and asked me who she was, she never watches that type of show other than CNN. She had commented "she's so pretty". I think she is too-now. But then she fit more into some stereotyped notion of beauty and apparently she doesn't now, so some people are freaking out? Her wit and intelligence makes her even more beautiful. And of course because she's gay, well the analysis of her looks goes into an even crazier dimension-ooh she "looked like a woman" back then lots o'lolz . And here I was thinking she looked exactly like a woman now, hmm.. Interesting how some people define what that is and think that every woman should fit into that.

340x_340x_rachel-maddows-yearbook-picture.jpg

Much Ado About Rachel Maddow's Smokin' Hotness

The reaction to Rachel Maddow's yearbook photo hit an all-time low when Senator David Vitter made some fantastic remarks on a Louisiana morning radio show about how crazy bizarre it is that Rachel Maddow ever passed for AN ACTUAL FEMALE:

MALE HOST: I wonder if Senator Vitter is ever going to post, like, maybe the video of the first time he was on the floor of the Senate. If I have to show the way I looked the first time I was on TV, you should do that too.
VITTER: We should go further back than that, how about high school yearbook?
MALE HOST: Oh yeah.
VITTER: De La Salle marching band.
MALE HOST: That'd be cool. Well you know, with Rachel Maddow they had that picture of her…
FEMALE HOST: Looking like a woman.
MALE HOST: Yeah it was really bizarre.
VITTER: [LAUGHS]: Must have been a long time ago.
ALL THREE: [HEAVY LAUGHTER]

Everyone freaked out and Vitter has since issued this post-it note sized apology letter:

Dear Rachel,

Regarding my remark during a radio conversation today, I apologize.

The hosts made their comment and I obviously chimed in. While we do not usually agree on the issues, I do not think you deserved that comment.

Sincerely,

David

"To queers, Rachel Maddow's photo might inspire a knowing smile or empathetic LOL. But amongst a certain kind of Conservative Human, it's inspired something else altogether: another chance to demonstrate their fundamental unease surrounding female masculinity by praising how "hot" Rachel could be if only she returned to pearls & a blowout. Judith Halberstam, in her book Female Masculinity, writes:

"The exclusion of butch women signals a widespread cultural anxiety about the potential effects of femaleness and masculinity. Presumably, female masculinity threatens the institution of motherhood: I suppose people think that if female masculinity is widely approved, then nobody will want to take responsibility for the trials and pains of reproduction."

The panic over a potential shift in our present gender paradigm underlies most homophobia these days, 'cause lawd knows what hell will break loose if women ever stop caring whether or not men could find them tappable.

In The Girls Next Door: Into the Heart of Lesbian America, Lindsy Van Gelder and Pamela Brandt challenge the "Orwellian" "dissing" of women who forego traditionally feminine-associated beauty rituals:

"One of the lesbian qualities that apparently seems strangest to the rest of the world is that we don't all dress to please men. Even stranger-since the measure of women's attractiveness in our culture is attractiveness to men -some of us are actively drawn to women who don't bother to meet that standard of beauty…"

On "lesbian taste" in general:

If we had to make one other generalization about lesbian taste, it would be that a lot of us are powerfully attracted to women, gay or straight, beautiful or not, who look as if they can take care of themselves."

You know, a woman like Rachel Maddow: fully & unapologetically authentic and unequivocally successful entirely on her own terms. Rachel Maddow doesn't give a shit if you find her ‘tappable.' Maddow told The Voice: "I'm not Anchorbabe, and I'm never going to be. My goal is to do the physical appearance stuff in such a way that it is not comment-worthy."

But he's a man so he can still judge any woman's looks

It's not just him, I find the reaction to the whole thing to be interesting. Granted she does look quite different now-but so do most people, from their hs or college yearbook photos. I have no idea how old she is, so I don't know how old the photo is. But let's get real, the big issue is that she's gay and she just looks so "feminine" there compared to how she looks now (stereotypically). According to some people..

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201002...Fair+(Media+Matters+for+America+-+County+Fair)

dcmaddow.jpg

Why in the flying fig would anyone say that she looks like a man now? Because she has short hair? Because she's gay? There is no way on god's green earth that she looks like a man.

Fig all those flying figgers.

Edited to remove all my figging "fucks." :wink:

Because she has short hair? Because she's gay?

cutting edge conservative thought holds that people are gay because no one has properly modeled traditional gender roles for them. perhaps with a little prayer, Rachel could start to wear pretty dresses and see how lovely she would look if she just grew her hair a bit, and maybe did her nails -- what fun! -- and stop with all that intellectualizing that men just don't want to hear after a long day at the office.

maybe then she'd be pretty. and less gay.

she looks more masculine in her high school picture

Why do you think so? I'm just curious :)

I watched her show last night, usually I don't because of baseball and other things. But I loved how she raked Fox over the coals for that whole Shirley Sherrod thing.

Yes I'd say she "looks like a man" because she doesn't fit into the rigid definition of female/feminine that some men have created (and some women too). In the old picture she does, especially a conservative definition. Therefore she's feminine and they would "tap" that. It's about that "fundamental unease about female masculinity"^ That's threatening to some people, so they attack it.

She defines that for herself and that's why I like her. It's just like it says in that article, she doesn't give a shit if you find her "tappable".

But he's a man so he can still judge any woman's looks

From your link:

MALE HOST: That'd be cool. Well you know, with Rachel Maddow they had that picture of her…

Yeah, it's a dick move from her as well.

For the record, I also don't like it when people make fun of Ann Coulter's looks, either. Why comment on her looks when she has so many other things that make her worthy of scorn and ridicule? :wink:

Why do you think so? I'm just curious :)

if I respond to this

I put myself at risk of being attacked,
so here goes anyways,

I did not say a a man, I said masculine,
some men look feminine, I am speaking about physical features,

in the movie, 'The Quick and the Dead" 1995

0.jpg

Who is prettier? Leo or Sharon Stone?

The current picture of Maddow, has better make up, her neck does not look bigger than mine, like the high school picture.

(long hair does not make a woman, unless you are incarcerated)

lookie lookie, they done some kinda of computer generated thing yonkies back when Leo was doin The Beach..........there was some documentary, maybe couple of years after Tit was out, yer man explained about Leo having feminine features along with symmetrical features that caused pretty boy attractiveness, coupled with his slim figure back then................and then the guy made Leo look a bit more masculine at that age and Leo suddenly looked all WRONG! but he has become more masculine looking now............however still kinda babyfaced when he shaves.

the girl Rachael in first college photo, its because her neck is thickish and her shoulders are bulky looking........its kinda obvious, and has been stated........thats prob what causes a whisper-behind-back scenerio.

I think I have wasted my time there now........:D:D

Back
Top Bottom