Military Coup in Turkey - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Military Coup in Turkey

With the military taking over state TV, social media are the primary sources of information, which makes information all the more difficult to confirm. But it appears that Erdogan is in exile, and has been denied asylum in Germany already.
__________________

PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 16,261
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Best news in a long time.
__________________

LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 20,845
Local Time: 12:08 PM
a country's military violently overthrowing a democratically-elected government in a geopolitically critical nation is good news somehow?

edit: it seems like the people aren't going for this by the sounds of it and top army commanders are publicly distancing themselves already:

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,166
Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post

edit: it seems like the people aren't going for this by the sounds of it and top army commanders are publicly distancing themselves already:


Good. At least that's some reassurance that the world isn't politically reverting to 1800.
iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Best news in a long time.

Pennsylvania connection. Pocono Power. Dot is my current location.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1468624098.954226.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	10787
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1468624116.804352.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	10788


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Oregoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 16,261
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
a country's military violently overthrowing a democratically-elected government in a geopolitically critical nation is good news somehow?

edit: it seems like the people aren't going for this by the sounds of it and top army commanders are publicly distancing themselves already:

I'm going to take it that you have no idea who Recep Erdoğan is, or what he stands for. This is Egypt all over again. Exiling the Muslim brotherhood. Fighting for secularism. Fighting for human rights.
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #7
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,060
Local Time: 12:08 PM
A shoo-in for EU membership, now?

Turkey's EU minister calls on soldiers to disobey orders: NTV | Reuters
Bluer White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,777
Local Time: 06:08 PM
Erdogan is not a leader Turkey can be proud of (numerous human rights violations, less and less a secular state). But I'm not sure if this coup will achieve progress in Turkey.
Popmartijn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 20,845
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I'm going to take it that you have no idea who Recep Erdoğan is, or what he stands for. This is Egypt all over again. Exiling the Muslim brotherhood. Fighting for secularism. Fighting for human rights.
the man and his governments have been repeatedly elected by the turkish people. if that's what they want they should have the right to a government that represents that. he may be terrible and unpalatable to our eyes but that shouldn't matter. he is not a dictator. if the turkish people no longer support him, they have every right to elect someone else in the next election.

i don't support violently overthrowing a democratically elected government for any reason, unless they have suspended elections and the people will not have a choice in the matter going forward. the turkish people have the right to decide their own government, point blank.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 16,261
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Military Coup in Turkey

Much like in Egypt, the Turkish military is the one that protects secularism. If you think Erdogan was "democratically elected" I suggest you do some reading on that topic. He's far from it. He wants a damn Ottoman Empire with him as the the caliph to his Islamic caliphate. He censors the public, controls the media, and sympathizes with terrorist groups like ISIS and al Qaeda.

If he is removed from power with minimal bloodshed, this is phenomenal news. Let's hope no civil war breaks out, of course.

I must repeat: Erdogan was not truly "democratically elected," and democratic elections in this region of the world are often manipulated and tampered with.
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,060
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Seriously, though, the fact the U.S. has an important Air Force presence in Turkey makes it a bigger concern for our government as this thing unfolds.
Bluer White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 20,845
Local Time: 12:08 PM
well in any case it seems like this thing is dead in the water. the military has been ordered back to barracks.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 16,261
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
well in any case it seems like this thing is dead in the water. the military has been ordered back to barracks.

Knowing Turkey's use of censorship, I don't trust anything coming out of that country.
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #14
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,060
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
the man and his governments have been repeatedly elected by the turkish people. if that's what they want they should have the right to a government that represents that. he may be terrible and unpalatable to our eyes but that shouldn't matter. he is not a dictator. if the turkish people no longer support him, they have every right to elect someone else in the next election.

i don't support violently overthrowing a democratically elected government for any reason, unless they have suspended elections and the people will not have a choice in the matter going forward. the turkish people have the right to decide their own government, point blank.
You "just don't want to see more fuel added to that particular fire" either, Dave?
Bluer White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,352
Local Time: 09:08 AM
Given that even those who oppose Erdogan are calling for the people to resist the coup, I'm thinking the folks orchestrating it aren't the good guys either.

I just hope this can be resolved without a full scale civil war.
trojanchick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 20,845
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Knowing Turkey's use of censorship, I don't trust anything coming out of that country.
north american and western european journalists are reporting this. but i read on twitter just now that it was only one corps. i have no idea how big the turkish army is but that's certainly not the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
You "just don't want to see more fuel added to that particular fire" either, Dave?
i have no idea what this is supposed to mean.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 16,261
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Given that even those who oppose Erdogan are calling for the people to resist the coup, I'm thinking the folks orchestrating it aren't the good guys either.

I just hope this can be resolved without a full scale civil war.

That's what I fear. That the perpetrators are not what they were initially reported.
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 16,261
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Already conspiracy theories that this is a staged coup by Erdogan himself and he will arise as dictator tomorrow.

Don't believe conspiracy theories of course, but this is something he would do. He's a pretty terrible human being.
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 20,845
Local Time: 12:08 PM
ok yea, i read up a little more. fuck this guy.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #20
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,875
Local Time: 02:08 AM
On the one hand, fuck Erdogan. On the other, I am not down with military coups.

So this is just great huh.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
turkey

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×