Military Coup in Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilsFan

Blue Crack Addict
With the military taking over state TV, social media are the primary sources of information, which makes information all the more difficult to confirm. But it appears that Erdogan is in exile, and has been denied asylum in Germany already.

a country's military violently overthrowing a democratically-elected government in a geopolitically critical nation is good news somehow?

edit: it seems like the people aren't going for this by the sounds of it and top army commanders are publicly distancing themselves already:

[tweet]754084118883864576[/tweet]

[tweet]754083678033158148[/tweet]

[tweet]754083428816056321[/tweet]

Last edited:
edit: it seems like the people aren't going for this by the sounds of it and top army commanders are publicly distancing themselves already:

Good. At least that's some reassurance that the world isn't politically reverting to 1800.

a country's military violently overthrowing a democratically-elected government in a geopolitically critical nation is good news somehow?

I'm going to take it that you have no idea who Recep Erdoğan is, or what he stands for. This is Egypt all over again. Exiling the Muslim brotherhood. Fighting for secularism. Fighting for human rights.

Erdogan is not a leader Turkey can be proud of (numerous human rights violations, less and less a secular state). But I'm not sure if this coup will achieve progress in Turkey.

I'm going to take it that you have no idea who Recep Erdoğan is, or what he stands for. This is Egypt all over again. Exiling the Muslim brotherhood. Fighting for secularism. Fighting for human rights.

the man and his governments have been repeatedly elected by the turkish people. if that's what they want they should have the right to a government that represents that. he may be terrible and unpalatable to our eyes but that shouldn't matter. he is not a dictator. if the turkish people no longer support him, they have every right to elect someone else in the next election.

i don't support violently overthrowing a democratically elected government for any reason, unless they have suspended elections and the people will not have a choice in the matter going forward. the turkish people have the right to decide their own government, point blank.

Much like in Egypt, the Turkish military is the one that protects secularism. If you think Erdogan was "democratically elected" I suggest you do some reading on that topic. He's far from it. He wants a damn Ottoman Empire with him as the the caliph to his Islamic caliphate. He censors the public, controls the media, and sympathizes with terrorist groups like ISIS and al Qaeda.

If he is removed from power with minimal bloodshed, this is phenomenal news. Let's hope no civil war breaks out, of course.

I must repeat: Erdogan was not truly "democratically elected," and democratic elections in this region of the world are often manipulated and tampered with.

Seriously, though, the fact the U.S. has an important Air Force presence in Turkey makes it a bigger concern for our government as this thing unfolds.

the man and his governments have been repeatedly elected by the turkish people. if that's what they want they should have the right to a government that represents that. he may be terrible and unpalatable to our eyes but that shouldn't matter. he is not a dictator. if the turkish people no longer support him, they have every right to elect someone else in the next election.

i don't support violently overthrowing a democratically elected government for any reason, unless they have suspended elections and the people will not have a choice in the matter going forward. the turkish people have the right to decide their own government, point blank.

You "just don't want to see more fuel added to that particular fire" either, Dave?

Knowing Turkey's use of censorship, I don't trust anything coming out of that country.

north american and western european journalists are reporting this. but i read on twitter just now that it was only one corps. i have no idea how big the turkish army is but that's certainly not the whole thing.

You "just don't want to see more fuel added to that particular fire" either, Dave?

i have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Last edited:
Given that even those who oppose Erdogan are calling for the people to resist the coup, I'm thinking the folks orchestrating it aren't the good guys either.

I just hope this can be resolved without a full scale civil war.

That's what I fear. That the perpetrators are not what they were initially reported.

Already conspiracy theories that this is a staged coup by Erdogan himself and he will arise as dictator tomorrow.

Don't believe conspiracy theories of course, but this is something he would do. He's a pretty terrible human being.

On the one hand, fuck Erdogan. On the other, I am not down with military coups.

So this is just great huh.

Erdogan is scum, and if you look up past instances of military dictatorships in a Turkish context, they're horrifying and just a different type of scum.

ok yea, i read up a little more. fuck this guy.

Welcome aboard.

I don't believe it. I mean, I don't want to, but I get the impression that's a move from a weak position trying to mask their holes by controlling what headlines get put out there.

I don't believe it. I mean, I don't want to, but I get the impression that's a move from a weak position trying to mask their holes by controlling what headlines get put out there.

Sadly I think he wins and now will be even worse. I think the country is 50% secular and 50% Muslim extreme.

Already conspiracy theories that this is a staged coup by Erdogan himself and he will arise as dictator tomorrow.

Don't believe conspiracy theories of course, but this is something he would do. He's a pretty terrible human being.

Bizarre, but this coup does look a little weak. A real coup would have blown the Son of a bitch up, or blown his plane out of the sky. This event will launch a full stage dictatorship for him now. No one will dare say a contrary word now.

Erdogan is not a leader Turkey can be proud of (numerous human rights violations, less and less a secular state). But I'm not sure if this coup will achieve progress in Turkey.

It failed.

More Erdogan, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom