MERGED --> Da Vinci Code - What's up??? + 'The Da Vinci Code' Fizzles at Cannes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I know I started with the middle one:wink:...it actually works well as a standalone, since a lot of it follows Will's storyline and since he was just introduced in The Subtle Knife it does really work well by itself!

Pullman apparently hates CS Lewis, for the whole bible allegory thing:hmm:

LJT said:
Yes I know I started with the middle one:wink:...it actually works well as a standalone, since a lot of it follows Will's storyline and since he was just introduced in The Subtle Knife it does really work well by itself!

Pullman apparently hates CS Lewis, for the whole bible allegory thing:hmm:

If you're at all interested in the theology behind it, you've GOT to read the last one. The first one too, b/c it has all the background info on Lyra and how her world works. The third one though, that's where the beef is. The end is kind of weird/dumb, but I've always been more interested in the theological implications rather than the fantastical story line.

Shall do....to kill God though would have rather large theological implications :wink:

More books to add to my reading list:drool:

Teta040 said:
...for me, the most provocative thing about the book is probably the only thing that is really true, and the easiest to believe...the broader concept of the book is how the "Founding Fathers" of the Church in its earliest years as a "state religion" (post 314-AD) may have used various nefarious methods to marginalize the role of women in the church, for many reasons, the LEAST of which being (IMO) a population reluctant to abandon goddess-oriented pagan belief systems with their Earth Mother fertility rltuals, including nature worship.

You bring up some excellent points, and for me, the feminist perspective, and how Magdalene's role was changed from a position of power to a common whore, was one of the most compelling parts of the novel, especially within the context of other historical facts you mention.

VintagePunk said:

You bring up some excellent points, and for me, the feminist perspective, and how Magdalene's role was changed from a position of power to a common whore, was one of the most compelling parts of the novel, especially within the context of other historical facts you mention.

that's exactly the point in the book I'm at (at Teabing's castle, and explaining the Holy Grail to Sophie) :wink:

OK, I finished listening to the book last night and I thought it was an interesting "read", but very predictable. I guessed the bank account number, the identity Teacher was, the last password, and where the grail actually was. The book says it over and over and the irony is that it's right: the answers are so glaringly obvious! Even people like me who've never studied religious symbology and stuff like that can easily pick up on the clues.

Oh i must be an idiot then, 'cos nothing was in any way obvious to me :huh: :|

What do i know eh? I'm obviously of low intelligence apparently :shrug:

meaning i can't be clever if i can't work thing out like other apparently more intelligent people do!

meaning i can't be all that clever if i can't work things out like other apparently more intelligent people do! :sad:

susanp6 said:
meaning i can't be all that clever if i can't work things out like other apparently more intelligent people do! :sad:

I said I found the book to be predictable, thus it was disappointing for me. I never said anyone was stupid or unintelligent. I was talking about my opinions of the book, not other people. You liked the book, I got it. I thought it was OK, but definitely not the most challenging (from a religious/theological aspect) fictional novel I've ever read. The stuff about the DaVinci painting was a terrible stretch. Everything else was just a combination of themes, myths, and religious history that have already been discussed elsewhere ad nauseum.

It will probably make a good movie though. I'm going to watch it tonight...

It still makes me feel as if i'm so slow to catch on to things though :( it doesn't feel too good when you notice that lots of other people seem to 'get' stuff so much easier, that's all i'm saying - sorry if i implied that you insinuated anything about me :( i didn't mean to sound that way (i always put things wrongly, prob 'cos it just gets to me)

You can d/l anything if you really want to :D

We're gonna watch something else tonight though. I'll probably see it in the theater first, rather than a promo copy (sometimes black and white or has a red line) on my tiny computer screen with subtitles in another language.

I'll see it next week.

But what I'm royally pissed off at is that I can't see the Last Supper painting in Milan in July because it's booked solid by these freaks who probably never heard of it before the book came out. Thanks a lot. :|

That's what happens when a thing becomes popular! But it's good surely that people learn about it? I wish i were able to go&see it! Can't believe that i never noticed before that there's a woman in the last suppper, considering i've looked at it loads of times! :ohmy:

I've waited to see it for art reasons since I was like a fetus and now somebody who read a paperback and is going on a Da Vinci Code tour gets to see it instead of me. I'm hella pissed. :madspit:

I can truly understand that frustration - i'd love to see it so much too! :ohmy:

Have you been to the Louvre too?

susanp6 said:
That's what happens when a thing becomes popular! But it's good surely that people learn about it? I wish i were able to go&see it! Can't believe that i never noticed before that there's a woman in the last suppper, considering i've looked at it loads of times! :ohmy:

It's John isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom