Mayor of Houston Subpoenas Church Sermons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is ostensibly a "church sermon" should be publicly available anyway. Are they not preaching to the masses or just the paying customers?

Besides, I want to know what certain mosques are teaching. Don't you?

I'm sure we can find an article on Breitbart calling for as much.

What is ostensibly a "church sermon" should be publicly available anyway. Are they not preaching to the masses or just the paying customers?

Besides, I want to know what certain mosques are teaching. Don't you?

I'm sure we can find an article on Breitbart calling for as much.

Exactly, we've heard cries from the right asking for deeper digging into mosques, Rev Wright's church, etc...

I guess their memories aren't what they use to be...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Exactly, we've heard cries from the right asking for deeper digging into mosques, Rev Wright's church, etc...

So when has a Republican or conservative mayor or governor sent a subpoena
to a Moslem cleric?

My memory seems to have failed me. :scratch:

These subpoenas are actually in response to the lawsuit that was filed by right-wing pastors against the city. This is typical legal business, not an assault on religious liberty.

Well those people are clearly racists.

Weak?

So, the great Reverend Wright is not a racist?

Racism implies there's a power dynamic at work. Reverend Wright is not a racist for the same reason that all members of racially marginalized groups can't be racist. They have no power.

Racism implies there's a power dynamic at work. Reverend Wright is not a racist for the same reason that all members of racially marginalized groups can't be racist. They have no power.

I don't agree with this. Institutional racism requires a power dynamic, but individuals of all races can be racist.

I don't agree with this. Institutional racism requires a power dynamic, but individuals of all races can be racist.

Individuals of all races can be prejudiced. But there's a difference between prejudice and racism. Racism requires a power structure, whereas prejudice doesn't.

Racism requires a power structure, whereas prejudice doesn't.

If you're arguing that minorities can't be racist then I'm going to have to strongly disagree. Let's take the dictionary definition of racism as a starting point:

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

There is an implied power structure in the 1st and 2nd definition, but I don't think one has to be a member of the majority race to hold the views in the 1st definition, and the 3rd definition certainly would seem to apply to people regardless of their place in the power structure.

I can agree with the power structure to a point, but there are contexts where a minority may have power.

I've been called (generally mild) racial slurs on the street. Given the situation, is that prejudice or racism? I'd argue racism as I felt mild physical threat due to my race.

Sent from

Back
Top Bottom