Massive tornado outbreak strikes Oklahoma City metro area, dozens dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Globo14

Refugee
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=19219367

What a massive storm this was today. Reports are that it was over 2 miles wide. The saddest part is that the elementary school was just flattened and there are children still unaccounted for. The current death toll is 37, hundreds are injured, and I'm sure those numbers are only going to continue to rise.

The insane part is that this very same area was struck by an even bigger twister in 1999.

Growing up and living my whole life in the Midwest, tornadoes have always terrified me. My family used to watch funnel clouds pass outside while I hid in the basement. Still to this day, I panic when the Doppler lights up. Thoughts are with the survivors and those who lost loved ones. So, so sad.

It might have been funnier f you said see? Guns don't kill people, tornadoes kill people!

Might.

Insensitivity aside, it's a pretty shitty situation.

They look amazing when someone catches them on video, but the destruction they cause is unbelievable. And a whole school was destroyed. :depressed:

I fathom to guess that it will it be disclosed in time that Moore will be revealed to be one of the poorer/ disadvantaged neighbourhoods in Oklahoma city, and always a "Tornado risk" :down:

I fathom to guess that it will it be disclosed in time that Moore will be revealed to be one of the poorer/ disadvantaged neighbourhoods in Oklahoma city, and always a "Tornado risk" :down:

You would guess wrong. While not especially affluent, Moore is definitely not one of the poorer/disadvantaged areas in the OKC metro.

Last edited:
I remember being in a traffic jam on the highway in Oklahoma on the way to the Norman 360 show and seeing Moore's water tower off on the right (or was it the left?). It was kind of a landmark to tell how fast we were moving. I wonder if it's even still there. :sad: It's sad to think that that whole place is trashed. Those mile-wide tornadoes are the worst; a whole town can be erased in minutes.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/05/tornado-moore-oklahoma-photo.html

That first pic is chilling. Those little specks on the ground used to be houses.

While I actually lived in OKC, I went to Moore schools K-12. It's basically my second hometown. I missed the '99 tornado by abt. 2 miles. A certain section of SW OKC (effectively known as "Westmoore") is also part of Moore schools district and referred to by people (even those that live in OKC and don't know the difference) as "Moore".

So that's what you're talking about here. Not just 'Moore' (proper) but also some of OKC.
Parts of the "Westmoore" area are quite affluent but that's not going to show up in statistics cited for Moore. Moore itself, 'proper', is basically middle-class. But in terms of population, "Moore" - as is referred to in the national media is a lot bigger than the 40K people that live in Moore (proper). There were more people living in that area than in '99. And a lot of the housing and business development was pretty new (within the last 10 years). It's a booming place.

I don't feel like discussing it much further right now.

Um...anyway

Absolutely heartbreaking to see the devastation and human suffering there. Scientists say it was more powerful than the atomic bomb in Hiroshima. To think about it that way, I can't even wrap my mind around that. I wish scientists could devise some way to stop these storms.

Great people there too, their attitude and their strength is very admirable.

Back
Top Bottom