Mass Shooting at South Carolina AME Church

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's now being reported that his father gave him the gun. It is also being reported the police found a prescription drug on the Charlestown murderer.

Sounds like the parenting skills of Adam Lanza's mother.

why are these people all able to get guns so easily? and in the case of Adam Lanza, so many powerful semi-automatic guns?

it IS about guns.

it IS about race.

like, that's exactly what this is about. a likely mentally ill racist used a gun to murder 9 people.

RACE and GUNS.

I'm so fucking angry today. Because of our insane gun culture, this racist scumbag was able to murder 9 innocent people. Because he's a lone white male, we're not allowed to call him a terrorist. Because he was a white male he was able to be taken into custody alive. This country is so fucked up.
Agreed. Horrible stuff.

Why is a person's life taken by a gang member of less importance to the media and to the president? It's because they can't play their "race card" and push their agenda.

No, it's because it's a MASS shooting.

It's a senseless mass shooting where race was a factor. You turning a blind eye to that and rushing to throw the term "race card" makes you just as agenda driven as the ones you blame. What a shame... disgusting

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

There's a point where a message has to be sent to these psychos. They become exactly what they want when they have these mass shootings. Their name becomes famous, they sit in an isolated area and then either rot in prison or die. That's simply not enough. Now, do we need to chop off all of his fingers and gouge out his eyes? No, probably not. But they allow these scumbags a quick and pain less death.
Will it stop people from doing these shootings and heinous crimes? No. But if these shootings were properly handled instead of a massive media coverage about their names and lives and if these murderers actually had to suffer for their actions, a lot of these nuts probably wouldn't be as common. This isn't a gun issue like many of the liberal nutjobs like to make it, because every time a gun is involved, all deaths need to be disregarded so we can focus on guns again. Because if someone is driven to commit mass murder, there is absolutely no way they can find access to a weapon if guns are illegal. (Sarcasm) It's a morality issue and won't be fixed, but treating these situations better instead of always blaming guns would be a step forward. But of course, no one can gain political leverage from that, so it won't happen.

he could have stabbed 9 people to death with a kitchen knife just as easily. you're totally right.

coming from Texas, one of the capital punishment capitols of the world, you well know that it's your high rate of executions that keeps your crime rate so low. criminals in Texas always think twice about murder because they fear the death penalty. the thought of capital punishment has prevented so many murders, it's really great that you have it. especially when you look at the much higher murder rates in states like Connecticut, Vermont, Iowa, and North Dakota, which have outlawed the death penalty.

No, it's because it's a MASS shooting.

It's a senseless mass shooting where race was a factor. You turning a blind eye to that and rushing to throw the term "race card" makes you just as agenda driven as the ones you blame. What a shame.

saying someone is "playing the race card" is actually playing the race card.

Racism isn't a mental illness. I think lumping people with mental illnesses in with people like this does an injustice to mental illness.

This is a racist who had easy access to guns and used them to murder people he hated. This needs to be politicized immediately or it will happen again. This needs to lead directly, right now, to a discussion about gun control.

President (not gonna bring us together) Obama wasted no time in pulling out his race card and pressing his anti-gun agenda.

Excuse me? How much more plainly racist does a violent act need to be before it's justified calling out racist acts for what they are? You don't wear the flag of apartheid-era South Africa and Rhodesia without having some pretty plainly obvious racist leanings. Not to mention the stars and bars on his front license plate. Not to mention him plainly telling a survivor that he was doing this because black people need to go.

It's not "pulling out the race card" if you accurately describe the motivations of the racist asshole who perpetrated this crime.

Excuse me? How much more plainly racist does a violent act need to be before it's justified calling out racist acts for what they are? You don't wear the flag of apartheid-era South Africa and Rhodesia without having some pretty plainly obvious racist leanings. Not to mention the stars and bars on his front license plate. Not to mention him plainly telling a survivor that he was doing this because black people need to go.

It's not "pulling out the race card" if you accurately describe the motivations of the racist asshole who perpetrated this crime.

Dieman,

I did not say Dylann Roof is not a racist. The facts are showing he is a racist.

I did say that Obama used this to again further divide Americans and push his agenda. I guess you do not agree with this, but I'm not alone in viewing his speech as divisive.

Obama says church shooting shows need for reckoning on guns - AOL.com

He also lied when he said that mass killings do not occur in other advanced countries.

They do. In Norway a murderer killed 70 children and adults a few year ago.

Senseless murders occur all over the world. They have in the past. They will in the future. There is evil in this world.

It is sad. It is tragic.

My hope is that we will try to discuss the reasons these events occur and how we can better prevent them. Hopefully we can stop the next one.

I did say that Obama used this to again further divide Americans and push his agenda. I guess you do not agree with this, but I'm not alone in viewing his speech as divisive.

i think that calling this "divisive" is an attempt to distract from the real issues at play -- that's what's "divisive," calling any attempt to deal with tragedies such as this one "divisive." you're trying to make the issue about Obama and not about racism and guns.

He also lied when he said that mass killings do not occur in other advanced countries.

in no other country do they happen with as much frequency. which is exactly what he said:

so there's no "lie" here -- it's obvious to anyone that mass shootings happen in other places, hence the sentence that followed the first sentence.

zoloft-may-cause-unwanted-side-effects.jpg

Not gonna blame Zoloft. But, I think Holmes, Lanza, and one of the Columbine shooters were all on it. Maybe affects younger folks differently.

Not ashamed to admit I take another anti-depressant. Works for me. If I skip a couple days my dreams take on a more aggressive-tone. Example I might get in a fist-fight in my dream. Then I know I probably missed taking my SSRI.

Brain chemistry can make people do crazy things. But on the other hand he has to be conscience that what he is doing is wrong.

Came out today that he had a lot of black friends on FB. But only posted a few photos and only created a profile in 2015. Psychologists are trying to analyze his FB behavior.

My question is if he is such a loner freak. How can he be smart enough to know about obscure apartheid era flags. Or did he have some kind of mentor?

Dieman,

I did not say Dylann Roof is not a racist. The facts are showing he is a racist.

Senseless murders occur all over the world. They have in the past. They will in the future. There is evil in this world.

It is sad. It is tragic.

My hope is that we will try to discuss the reasons these events occur and how we can better prevent them. Hopefully we can stop the next one.

And here you continue to push your agenda of diminishing any white on black racism. And you continue to lie, Obama did not say that.

the iron horse is just another right winger - they are excellent at changing the topic. So now we are all discussing gun crimes in other countries and Obama's race baiting instead of the fact that an openly white supremacist was given a gun as a gift and went about shooting black people dead in a place where they would gather.

I am so far away from this issue, so excuse me if I'm wrong, but I can't see how this is about anything but guns and race. I can't see how it's about anything else?

My question is if he is such a loner freak. How can he be smart enough to know about obscure apartheid era flags. Or did he have some kind of mentor?

Hardly obscure, these flags (and colonial regimes) are quite popular amongst white supremacists I would imagine. All it would take to learn about it is a quick browse through Wikipedia.

I am so far away from this issue, so excuse me if I'm wrong, but I can't see how this is about anything but guns and race. I can't see how it's about anything else?

In my view, this is first and foremost about white supremacy, the gun issue (whilst still important) is secondary.

I must say I find the whole 'he must be mentally ill!' narrative a bit discomforting, for what it's worth.

It's a tic of gun enthusiasts/right wingers that I'm not sure they even realize they are consciously employing. They demand that we not talk about guns when gun violence occurs. Then when we are allowed to talk about gun violence, they emphasize how they're not dangerous. They're not comfortable talking about gun control in the wake of gun violence because the argument that guns aren't dangerous can't be made in good faith. So they lash out at the idea of talking about guns and put the other side on the defensive by accusing them of "politicizing a tragedy," when really those in favor of gun control just want to begin the steps of preventing more tragedies.

If you have come out against gun control, you have enabled this shit. If you have ever accused people of playing the race card or said that racism is over or that white privilege doesn't exist, you have enabled this shit.

I really don't care if this guy is mentally ill, racist, or both. The issue is how that was able to be expressed and it comes down to a fundamental cultural problem: firearms are sacred. "Our founding fathers had guns and John Wayne had a gun, so why shouldn't I? I'm an American, dammit! Don't even talk about it. Don't even think about it. You're simply trying to enslave me, you fascist piece of shit."

So fucking on and so fucking forth. The loss of children at Sandy Hook failed to impact this aspect of our culture, so I doubt the death of 9 grown African Americans will cause white America to rethink anything. It's horrible.

Last edited:
His agenda is far beyond gun control, the issue here is hate and his plan to spread that hate.

I would not be surprised if he was trying to impress any random white supremacist group since he clearly planned the entire scenario.
He walked into a place of Worship knowing he would be safe as he acted out his evil deed targeting a kind, peace loving group and purposely left a witness to tell the story.

Spreading hatred is malignant and eats up all that is good. The anger generated from his hateful act generates more seeds of hate. Hate is a crime that needs harsh sentencing.

Guns are not the root cause, it is the hatred pulling the trigger.

Personally, I see him as a terrorist and he should be tried as a terrorist in a civilian court.

He is not a terrorist. Terrorists commit crime in an attempt to force some form of political change - Gavrilo Princip killed Franz Ferdinand in a concerted attempt to destabilise Austrian control in the Slavic region. The Dawson's Field hijackings in 1970 were in response to the British role in the establishment of Israel and their subsequent occupation of Jordan. The Aum Shinrikyo sarin gas attacks in 1995 were directed at the Japanese government in an attempt to reinstall a monarchy. Al Qaeda hijacked planes and ran them into the World Trade Centre to create instability in Afghanistan in the Middle East.

This is a hate crime.

The gunman literally said this when he stated "these people are raping our women and taking over our country", when he carried the flag of regimes of hate in South Africa, when he murdered people in a place of safety and worship. There's no long term plan here, there's no actual attempt to enact any political action here. This is a hateful, vile human being with access to firearms and a desire to act on that hate.

He is not a terrorist. Terrorists commit crime in an attempt to force some form of political change - Gavrilo Princip killed Franz Ferdinand in a concerted attempt to destabilise Austrian control in the Slavic region. The Dawson's Field hijackings in 1970 were in response to the British role in the establishment of Israel and their subsequent occupation of Jordan. The Aum Shinrikyo sarin gas attacks in 1995 were directed at the Japanese government in an attempt to reinstall a monarchy. Al Qaeda hijacked planes and ran them into the World Trade Centre to create instability in Afghanistan in the Middle East.

This is a hate crime.

The gunman literally said this when he stated "these people are raping our women and taking over our country", when he carried the flag of regimes of hate in South Africa, when he murdered people in a place of safety and worship. There's no long term plan here, there's no actual attempt to enact any political action here. This is a hateful, vile human being with access to firearms and a desire to act on that hate.

He wants to start a civil war. This is what he told someone he personally knows.
Sounds like terrorism based on hate.
Suspect Heard Talking of 'Starting a Civil War'

I know this may be shocking to some, but believe me when I tell you there are people who hate others in every country on earth. The one big difference is access to guns, which means a far, far, far less frequent number of not only mass shootings, but gun crimes in general, particularly in developed countries like in Europe. One only needs to look at statistics to determine that this is true.

So it is absolutely a gun control issue. And in this case, also one about race.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Maybe it's because I'm currently in Europe, surrounded by so much history dating back thousands of years, but relatively speaking, the U.S. Civil War was not all that long ago. 150 years ago, right? Clearly for some, particularly in the south, the wounds are still fresh. But at some point Americans from all walks of life, on the left and right, are going to have to have an honest dialogue, not only about race, but gun control, and only then will things begin to heal.

Otherwise, things will only continue to get worse.

I would not be surprised if he was trying to impress any random white supremacist group since he clearly planned the entire scenario.
He walked into a place of Worship knowing he would be safe as he acted out his evil deed targeting a kind, peace loving group and purposely left a witness to tell the story.

I have heard of instances where perpetrators of white supremacist attacks also had an online presence within white supremacist forums, always possible he wanted to prove something to his fellow internet fascists.

Exactly, his face is already plastered all over the media.

This will drive the news for days. Forget that 60 plus people who have been murdered in Baltimore since May. I can't remember the number for Chicago or L.A.

A news leak about pills found on him is not confirmed yet, but I'm guessing he's another Adam Lanza. Red flags all around him, but no one took them seriously.

President (not gonna bring us together) Obama wasted no time in pulling out his race card and pressing his anti-gun agenda.

And Fox News turned this into a case of anti-Christian persecution to support their agenda and claimed without evidence that the shooter had to be atheist instead of saying that it was based on racism, which it clearly was.

Also, 10 black people are killed by a white supremacist and you still bring up the murder rate in predominantly black communities out of faux concern? Shame on you.

Back
Top Bottom