Mass Shooting at South Carolina AME Church

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a bit disappointed that most of the discussion around this massacre has been about guns, and less about the very real danger of white supremacy. I feel like this same gun control discussion has been played out on this board ridiculously frequently.

EDIT: Have realised much of the discussion on the above has moved into the Confederate flag thread. Continue on.
White supremacy is a much greater threat to our national security here in the US than foreign terrorism is. But people don't like to talk about their family, friends, and neighbors like that so it persists.

Exactly. Being accused of being racist seems to be one of the worst things you can be accused of, to a lot of people.

So the conversation stalls at "that thing you said was kinda racist" because the brain kicks into "OMG I'M NOT A RACIST HOW DARE YOU," and people can't and/or won't examine their behaviors and prejudices.

I can safely say that nearly every single white person I know is absolutely terrified of being publicly branded a horrible and sincere racist.

I was talking with my sister about gun control today and I showed her that image from the last place about the rate of gun violence in other countries and she asked me about total homicide rates compared to the US. Anyone know of the answer, or a similar image with that information?

I was talking with my sister about gun control today and I showed her that image from the last place about the rate of gun violence in other countries and she asked me about total homicide rates compared to the US. Anyone know of the answer, or a similar image with that information?

List of countries by intentional homicide rate

It's...not good. I mean, there are more violent countries than the US. Much more violent. But if we're comparing the US to countries that aren't total shitholes, the homicide rate is through the roof.

Human development index top 25, ranked by homicide rate (low to high):

0.2 Singapore
0.3 Iceland
0.3 Japan
0.6 Switzerland
0.7 Slovenia
0.7 Sweden
0.8 Denmark
0.8 Germany
0.8 Luxembourg
0.8 Spain
0.9 Austria
0.9 Italy
0.9 Netherlands
0.9 New Zealand
0.9 South Korea
1.0 France
1.0 United Kingdom
1.1 Australia
1.2 Ireland
1.6 Belgium
1.6 Canada
1.6 Finland
1.8 Israel
2.2 Norway
4.7 United States

Our homicide rate is 114% higher than the next country on the list. Lest we forget, here's the gun violence chart again:

zaP2vMe.jpg

The correlation between gun violence and overall homicide rate is pretty strong, no? I'm guessing that's because, surprise surprise, guns are quite useful for the purpose of killing people.

The situation here is fucking disgraceful, honestly. This is the supposed land of opportunity and our homicide rate (#110) is nestled between Yemen (#109) and Niger (#111).

But yeah, sure, we're doing great compared to Honduras. No reason to fix anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom