Mass Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Just gets sadder and sadder.

Everyone at work is keeping eye on the news. One woman left early to get her son, who is a Kindergartener in Long Island. She was very emotional.

There needs to be tighter gun control. There's no way this issue can be neglected anymore.

2 Shootings in the same week.. c'mon lets talk about this problem now.

Just had a conversation with my 15 yr old son, and even tho he didn't say much I know he is distressed by this. I plan on hugging him as soon as I get home. :sad:

I seriously want to home school my daughter.

PS. is it true that the shooter's dad has also been found dead?

edit. It was the shooter's mother. she was a teacher there.

I seriously want to home school my daughter.

PS. is it true that the shooter's dad has also been found dead?

The reports go that his father was found dead in New Jersey and the gunman went to the Connecticut school to kill his mother who was a teacher there.

No words are strong enough here.

I'm not sure about that. If this isn't a turning point, what possibly could be?

nothing

with each 'new' incident the arguments remain the same.

1. the gun was not the problem, the law breaker was
2. in Texas or (insert state here) people have the right to carry everywhere, and they will give examples of when a law abiding person used his gun to stop a bad person.
3. we have enough laws on books, we don't need new laws, we just need better enforcement
4. look what just happened in China 22 kids, not 18 were killied where guns are banned by a knife, people that want to kill will find a means to do so.
5. because bad people do bad things, we should not lose our Constitutional rights, why should bad people control what rights good people have

( I could probably write 10 more)

2012-12-14T173712Z_1364288230_GM1E8CF04D901_RTRMADP_3_USA-SHOOTING-CONNECTICUT.JPG

I'm as cynical about this as deep, which is terrible.

Nothing is going to happen. Our culture is fucked at a profound, irreconcilable level. DEY TOOK ERR GUNS DEY TOOK ERR JRBBBS

So it was a family thing? Holy shit.

Of course, the brother will say they were abused by their parents and crap like that. Whatever. That's not an excuse to kill anyone, especially children!

From the other thread:

That all said, it still crushes me that these things continually happen in the US. What's wrong with our society and culture? Why does this stuff not happen in other countries where firearms are just as readily available?

Which other comparable western democratic country firearms "just as readily available"?

According to the Washington Post, Switzerland and Israel.

Israel is essentially a militarized state under a constant threat of violent attacks, so I don't think they are a good point of comparison.

So aside from Switzerland, every other western nation has seen it fit to restrict access to firearms.

I feel like that annoying parent that says "I don't know what I would do if it was my kid", but I can't help but have this overwhelming feeling of sadness. These kids are maybe a year or two older than my daughter. Their worst crime in life is maybe not sharing or not cleaning up after themselves.

I feel like that annoying parent that says "I don't know what I would do if it was my kid", but I can't help but have this overwhelming feeling of sadness. These kids are maybe a year or two older than my daughter. Their worst crime in life is maybe not sharing or not cleaning up after themselves.

it is truly is unimaginable
to send a child to school, and then never see them again

as Americans we are all going to be talking about this, why? because it is so relatable, we all have young innocent children in our lives.

HuffPo is reporting that the gunman had four guns with him.

The thing about tightening gun control is that there's got to be a way to prevent illegal sales of gun. It is possible to go online and get a gun, just like buying drugs off the internet. I wouldn't be surprise if that is how this psycho got his firearms.

We should all have that feeling. I don't have any kids and I do.

He killed the principal too. 20 kids and 6 adults.

I feel sick too. This guy must have shown some signs. People need to stop being in denial of signs like that. I heard on the radio that he had lots of angry stuff on his Twitter.

As others have noted, nothing meaningful will get done with regards to gun control. If anything, schools will start hiring armed security guards to patrol the premises. America is all kinds of fucked right now, and I'm kinda glad I don't live there anymore. If I ever have kids, Europe is where I'll raise them.

There was a demand for more safety and security at airports in the aftermath of 9/11 and other high-profile plane bombings. So why is it that these tragic events cannot provide any traction for meaningful action on gun laws?

Michael Bloomberg:

"With all the carnage from gun violence in our country, it's still almost impossible to believe that a mass shooting in a kindergarten class could happen. It has come to that. Not even kindergarteners learning their A,B,Cs are safe. We heard after Columbine that it was too soon to talk about gun laws. We heard it after Virginia Tech. After Tucson and Aurora and Oak Creek. And now we are hearing it again. For every day we wait, 34 more people are murdered with guns. Today, many of them were five-year olds. President Obama rightly sent his heartfelt condolences to the families in Newtown. But the country needs him to send a bill to Congress to fix this problem. Calling for 'meaningful action' is not enough. We need immediate action. We have heard all the rhetoric before. What we have not seen is leadership - not from the White House and not from Congress. That must end today. This is a national tragedy and it demands a national response. My deepest sympathies are with the families of all those affected, and my determination to stop this madness is stronger than ever."

HuffPo is reporting that the gunman had four guns with him.

The thing about tightening gun control is that there's got to be a way to prevent illegal sales of gun. It is possible to go online and get a gun, just like buying drugs off the internet. I wouldn't be surprise if that is how this psycho got his firearms.

Actually, I would be surprised if those guns and ammo weren't legally bought. In the majority of these types of massacres, the weaponry has been obtained legally.

From the Newtown Patch:

The man identified in media reports Friday as the shooter has told friends that he thinks his developmentally disabled brother may have committed the crime, Patch has learned.
A close friend of Ryan Lanza who would not be identified told Patch that he spoke to Lanza as Lanza made his way home from work to Hoboken. Lanza also took to his Facebook page to rail against CNN naming him as the suspect in the shooting in Newtown, Conn. ...
Lanza’s mother, Nancy, a school teacher, is believed to be among the dead.
Patch was among the media outlets to highlight and link to reports naming Ryan Lanza as the alleged shooter. Police haven't yet officially confirmed the identity of the gunman.

There are reports that the actual shooter, Adam Lanza, used his brother's ID to get into the school.

But wasn't the real Ryan Lanza also with him? Isn't he in custody and being questioned by police?

There was a demand for more safety and security at airports in the aftermath of 9/11 and other high-profile plane bombings. So why is it that these tragic events cannot provide any traction for meaningful action on gun laws?

In 'murica, real change is diverted by people making the same defensive arguments because they like guns. They want to feel safe and secure, and having a means of protecting oneself provides that. In addition, the Constitution provided the right to bear arms in order to offer a sense of security in wartime, which was and is grossly misapplied to our present context. As long as this holds true, nothing will change.

That's where parenting comes in. People like Mikal with little kids, please don't give in to fear. Don't teach your children that they should fear guns, or that they need one to feel safe. Teach them self-defense. Make them feel comfortable in their own skin. Point to these horrible tragedies and change their thinking not so that these calamities will stop, but so that we can start making real progress in modifying what is obviously a flawed system. I'm not calling for a gun ban. I'm calling for us to step back and think what guns actually offer us and why our children need them. The culture isn't going to change overnight, it will take decades, but I hope that, in time, the response to a call for gun restriction isn't "hell NO, you stay away from my gun" but "alright, yeah, maybe this isn't working." Because it isn't, at all. And the former response is going to handily drown out the latter, again.

Wow. It was very irresponsible of media to report that name if that's the case. I don't think these names should be reported at all, they should not be made into celebrities.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom