Mass Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This tragedy has sparked some incredibly inane commentary and behavior. I mean this morning I was sickened by the substitute assholes that they had sitting in for Glenn Beck, they were TRYING to make a point on their view of gun control but ended up making a mockery and laughing about the deaths of these children.

BUT I think this has to be the worst of them so far:

Ted Nugent Blames Connecticut School Shooting on "Politically Correct Culture"

Some blabbermouths already are using the Connecticut school massacre to promote their anti-gun agenda even though more gun laws won’t prevent a psychotic from getting a gun and killing us.

... The ugly and dangerous truth is that we live in an embarrassing, politically correct culture that exalts and rejoices in the bizarre; aggressively promotes an “anything goes” value system; and vilifies, condemns and mocks traditional societal values and customs at every opportunity.

... More laws and more restrictions won’t fix our culture. The problem we face is much deeper and more insidious. What ails us is a spiritual bankruptcy of cultural values that actually matter. More laws and restrictions can’t cure that.

... As with most things, the cure to this mess begins and ends with the family. Traditional family values have been under siege for decades by our culture of contempt. In the absence of a solid family, the whole thing slowly unravels and rots.

First of all Ted calling people "blabbermouths" is just head scratching.

Secondly, Ted talking about family values is downright hilarious.

Thirdly, what is he talking about? So family values would have cured his mental illness? Family values would have removed assault rifles from his home? Wow, this elusive phrase "family values" must be like magic or something.

A quick scan of the "personal life" section of Nugent's Wikipedia makes makes what Nugest wrote seen like Keith Richards advocating for stronger anti-drug laws to me.

He did? I didn't know that. Great role model. He should worry about his own problems. What happened to the girl, are they married?

Actually she was 17.

From wikipedia:

He has had two wives and has eight children, including three out of wedlock in two liaisons almost 30 years apart. In the late 1960s, prior to his first marriage, Nugent fathered a boy, Ted (Mann) and a girl, whom he gave up for adoption in infancy. This did not become public knowledge until 2010. The siblings were adopted separately and had no contact with one another. The son learned the identity of his birth father in 2010 through the daughter's quest to make contact with him and their birth parents. According to a news report, Nugent over the years had discussed the existence of these children with his other children.[25]

In 2005 Nugent was involved in a legal battle for not paying enough child support for a child he had out of wedlock in 1995.[26] It was finally resolved when Nugent was ordered to pay $3,500 per month in child support.[27]

He was married to his first wife, Sandra Jezowski, from 1970 to 1979. They had three children, son Theodore Tobias "Toby" Nugent, and daughters Sasha and Starr Nugent. Sandra died in a car crash in 1982. His second marriage was to Shemane Deziel, whom he met while a guest on Detroit's WLLZ-FM, where she was a member of the news staff. They married on January 21, 1989. Together they have two children, son Rocco Winchester Nugent, and daughter Chantal Nugent.

In 1978, Nugent began a relationship with seventeen-year-old Hawaii native Pele Massa. Due to the age difference they could not marry so Nugent joined Massa's parents in signing documents to make himself her legal guardian, an arrangement that Spin magazine ranked in October 2000 as #63 on their list of the "100 Sleaziest Moments in Rock"

Upon further reading it's unsurprising to discover that Nugent is a collossal piece of shit.

Didn't Steven Tyler do something similar in the 70s?

Was that some sort of foul, creepy-ass 70s rock star trend?

From Wikipedia:

In 1975, Tyler convinced the parents of 16[46] year old groupie Julia Holcomb (sometimes spelled Holcolm) to sign over guardianship to him so that he could live with her in Boston. They dated and did drugs together for three years.[47] Holcomb was referred to as "Diana Hall" by the editor of the Aerosmith autobiography Walk This Way in an attempt to conceal her identity, but other sources have confirmed her identity.[48][49][50] Pressures leading to their split included both their age difference (Tyler was 27 when they first met), a house fire, and a pregnancy that resulted in an abortion.[51][52] Band member Ray Tabano wrote in Walk This Way that the abortion "really messed Steven up" because the child was a boy.[53] Tyler wrote, "It was a big crisis. It's a major thing when you're growing something with a woman, but they convinced us that it would never work out and would ruin You go to the doctor and they put the needle in her belly and they squeeze the stuff in and you watch. And it comes out dead. I was pretty devastated. In my mind, I'm going, Jesus, what have I done?"[53] However, Julia Holcomb has said that Tyler was snorting cocaine while watching the abortion and offered some to her.[54] Julia Holcomb — after 36 years of silence about her relationship with Tyler — has recently revealed her regret for having the abortion, has joined the Silent No More organization of women who have regretted their abortions, and has converted to Catholicism.[55][56]

Yes Steven Tyler is hardly a good role model either. But at least he's not going around spouting off about traditional family values. Considering how Nugent has lived his life, well... hypocrite much? Of course people can change, but in his case I think it would be best to zip it.

If any of these lawsuits are successful, I think schools will increase security as much as possible because of that-if for no other reason.

MERIDEN, Connecticut (Reuters) - A $100 million claim on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor is the first legal action to come out of the Connecticut school shooting that left 26 children and adults dead two weeks ago.

The unidentified client, referred to as Jill Doe, heard "cursing, screaming, and shooting" over the school intercom when the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, opened fire, according to the claim filed by New Haven-based attorney Irv Pinsky.

"As a consequence, the ... child has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined," the claim said.

Pinsky said he filed a claim on Thursday with state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr., whose office must give permission before a lawsuit can be filed against the state.

"We all know its going to happen again," Pinsky said on Friday. "Society has to take action."

Pinsky's claim said that the state Board of Education, Department of Education and Education Commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from "foreseeable harm."

It said they had failed to provide a "safe school setting" or design "an effective student safety emergency response plan and protocol."

Pinsky said he was approached by the child's parents within a week of the shooting.

Here's another one for you to roll.

Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

~Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Do you care at all about the context of that quote? (hint: it's a similar context that gave birth to the 2nd amendment).

This.
Is.
Not.
An.
Excuse.

At all.

I bet Australia has a black market for guns too and you see the stas there.

This excuse needs to die in the fiery pits of hell.
I did not imply it to be an excuse for not implementing gun control laws. My point is that no matter what laws are implemented, they will not stop regular citizens, killers and mentally ill people from obtaining guns in the black market and hence tragedies like this one from happening again.

In the end, gun control laws only alleviate the problem, but they do not provide a complete solution.

I did not imply it to be an excuse for not implementing gun control laws. My point is that no matter what laws are implemented, they will not stop regular citizens, killers and mentally ill people from obtaining guns in the black market and hence tragedies like this one from happening again.

In the end, gun control laws only alleviate the problem, but they do not provide a complete solution.

Of course there is no complete solution. But I take issue with the black market argument. Firstly, where do you think most of the black market guns come from? Secondly, not everyone has the connections to know where to get a black market gun. How long do you thing it would take someone to find those connections? Most of the mass shootings are perpetrated by mentally ill individuals who are usually triggered by something recent, so if you eliminate the immediacy to obtain you might be able to reduce the numbers of these incidents.

In 2012, there were shootings in malls, movie theatres, places of worship, as well as schools. Putting armed personnel in schools will do nothing to address the larger issue of access to assault weapons.

What a dumb article! That whole line about how they don't go into police stations because that's where the guns are sums up the problem with this article. One it's a lie, shooters enter police stations ALL the time. Two it really negates the issue that gun nuts NEVER want to address; police are trained on how to react. An armed teacher is not trained on how to deal with the actuality of killing an attacker. Untrained gun owners can often do more damage than good. Then there's the issue of gun storage in a school.

But seriously a horrible article. The "party of principle" part is by far the funniest part of that website.

Nothing provides a complete solution. But making it harder for lunatics and idiots to get a gun is certainly one heck of a step towards the right way!

How many mentally ill people would find their way on the black market to get a gun, and how many can just randomly go to the fucking wall mart to buy bullets for their legally obtained gun?

Yeah, I'd say those numbers will be QUITE different. And that alone should prevent multiple cases of these lunatics shooting other people dead.

Where is this black market? When this argument comes up it makes it sound like its just like your city's local farmers market for guns and drugs.

Most of society don't even know where you would go find these type of illegal guns anyway

We don't have nutjobs shooting up schools, movie theatres, malls, etc. in Australia with guns acquired on the black market due to our strict gun laws. How many times do people have to cite Australia to point out that gun control WORKS?

We don't have nutjobs shooting up schools, movie theatres, malls, etc. in Australia with guns acquired on the black market due to our strict gun laws. How many times do people have to cite Australia to point out that gun control WORKS?

We have a black market which is where nearly all guns which are used in Canadian murders originate. And guess what is the source of that black market? Guns from the US, which come across the border illegally.

Back
Top Bottom