Mandatory Health Insurance part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering the how conservative the SCOTUS is right now (Citizens United, anyone?), I wouldn't be surprised to see the individual mandate struck down.

It was a shitty healthcare reform effort that was a hand-out to (SURPRISE!) private insurance companies instead of providing a public option, and a tactical error to try and get it done before the summer recess in Congress to leave the Republican misinformation machine time to rile up the locals at town halls.

Excellent summation. :up:

images

Chief Justice Roberts saves Affordable Health Care Act. :up:

Scalia must have been getting too embarrassing for Roberts.

I assume we'll be hearing for Roberts' head on a platter soon. Conservatives are never wrong, they are just back stabbed by traitorous activist judges.

the spin i'm hearing right now is that this will be a huge loss for Obama because the mandate being considered a tax.

So those millions of people without insurance right now (poor, middle class) will now have to pay new taxes, thus it's a tax on the base that Obama is trying to win over.

Of course I have no idea how any of this is going to work going forward (and Obama stating the Mandate is NOT a tax back in 2009). I'm sure once the dust settles, there may be some interesting aspects, but I think there is more good news than bad from this.

Those tweets have to be satire right?

ETA a quote about Chief Justice Roberts from Matthew Cooper of The Atlantic:

"When John Roberts was nominated to be chief justice in 2005, a very prominent liberal lawyer told me that he was reassured. Roberts, he noted, was a practicing attorney with years of trials under his belt -- unlike the academic Antonin Scalia or Clarence Thomas with his slew of government jobs and no real private practice experience. The real world experience of Roberts, this liberal lion thought, would make the Chief -- and the court -- less rigid ideologically."

More hilarity:

“Just because a couple people on the Supreme Court declare something to be ‘constitutional’ does not make it so. The whole thing remains unconstitutional.”

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)

My Facebook feed is a hilarious stream of ridiculous and antiquated ideas and statements right now. My favorite, religions people somehow thinking this is somehow "evil" and prayers need to be said for the country. Utah is fun.

Both CNN and FOX initially reported that the individual mandate was struck down.

Fuck your stupid, shitty cable media, America.

Obama on taxes and Merriam-Webster dictionary - YouTube

Roberts: It's a tax!

Seriously the U.S. public should decide with this election and it's not the Supreme Court's duty to legislate. Obama was elected and if they don't like it they can always elect someone else in November. Not only that, it's likely that the Republican plan won't be the same as the status quo because most people don't want the current system so it's going to be some years before this all gets sussed out, but the U.S. system is going to change nonetheless.

the spin i'm hearing right now is that this will be a huge loss for Obama because the mandate being considered a tax.

So those millions of people without insurance right now (poor, middle class) will now have to pay new taxes, thus it's a tax on the base that Obama is trying to win over.

Of course I have no idea how any of this is going to work going forward (and Obama stating the Mandate is NOT a tax back in 2009). I'm sure once the dust settles, there may be some interesting aspects, but I think there is more good news than bad from this.

I would say most of the people without health insurance who will be paying the 1% tax are young and lower income and so unlikely to vote against Obama anyway. Obama has a pretty steep lead with people under 30.

There are only 5 states that are up for grabs(Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Colorado, Nevada) and I don't think this will impact Obama's chances in any of those states. All 5 are actually leaning towards Obama right now and unless Romney picks Bob McConnell of Virginia as his running mate, Virginia will being going Blue and that automatically wins the election for Obama.

Obama on taxes and Merriam-Webster dictionary - YouTube

Roberts: It's a tax!

Seriously the U.S. public should decide with this election and it's not the Supreme Court's duty to legislate. Obama was elected and if they don't like it they can always elect someone else in November. Not only that, it's likely that the Republican plan won't be the same as the status quo because most people don't want the current system so it's going to be some years before this all gets sussed out, but the U.S. system is going to change nonetheless.

Well, the likely Obama victory in November will cement this then. Republicans need to back to go back to the drawing board if they want to retake the White House in 2016. They need a platform that is more centrist and has little or nothing to do with the old school Republicans from the 1920s and 1950s and more to do with Reagan and Bush Sr., which they have drifted from.

What are they legislating??

Roberts said he can't knockdown a law that people think is bad. As a tax it is constitutional.

This is just right wing echo chamber code for when something doesn't work out like you anticipated.

No I'm talking about how Roberts interpreted it. Of course the right wanted the mandate struck down but now it's not a mandate but a tax.

Back
Top Bottom