Mandatory Health Insurance part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So you don't believe the Supreme Court legislated today? I'm just trying to clarify.

No. If they tried to bash the law down then they would have been activist. Now if Romney wants to run on a repeal and replace with something he thinks is better then that would be a solution but to hope that the SCOTUS would do the dirty work is lazy.

No. If they tried to bash the law down then they would have been activist. Now if Romney wants to run on a repeal and replace with something he thinks is better then that would be a solution but to hope that the SCOTUS would do the dirty work is lazy.

OK, while I'm pleased at the decision (though this is still not really a great law), if the justices had come to a legal finding that carried the opposite ruling, that doesn't mean they are activist justices! That sort of logic would mean that the courts can never overturn any legislation, which is patently ridiculous.

OK, while I'm pleased at the decision (though this is still not really a great law), if the justices had come to a legal finding that carried the opposite ruling, that doesn't mean they are activist justices! That sort of logic would mean that the courts can never overturn any legislation, which is patently ridiculous.

Well technically Roberts is saying the mandate is unconstitutional but he's looking at it as a tax and of course the government can tax. He's saying that it's not his responsibility to overturn a tax because that would be activist.

As usual a ruling is more complicated than the talking heads make it out to be.

Well technically Roberts is saying the mandate is unconstitutional

No, that's not what he's saying.

Things are constitutional or they are not. They are not "technically" unconstitutional much like you can't be a little bit pregnant.

As usual a ruling is more complicated than the talking heads make it out to be.

This is ironic.

Well technically Roberts is saying the mandate is unconstitutional but he's looking at it as a tax and of course the government can tax.

^because this is exactly how the talking heads are spining it on the am dials as we speak.

Sounds like those that would have to pay would be an individual who chooses not to have ins, but can afford it.

For those who cannot afford to own ins, as long as they can prove they're financial situation, they will be exempt from this mandate.

Will there be some that this will hurt, potentially. No system is perfect. But overall everyone should have access to basic health.

I can't wait for the Romney/Obama debates.

I do understand that implementing something for a state is different than implementing something for all 50 states, but shut your damn yap about it being a bad law, Romney.

IT'S YOUR FRIGGIN' LAW! It was based on your state mandate!

If you want to argue state vs nation, fine, but Romney does not appear to be doing that. How far can you backpedal away from something you created yourself?

I can't wait for the Romney/Obama debates.

I do understand that implementing something for a state is different than implementing something for all 50 states, but shut your damn yap about it being a bad law, Romney.

IT'S YOUR FRIGGIN' LAW! It was based on your state mandate!

I really believe that is a non-starter. When his GOP opponents used it in the primaries, I said the same thing. The argument for states deciding for themselves, that the majority of MA residents supported it and it passed in a open process with bi-partisan support is much different.

I would not want a popular law supported and passed in Utah, or Texas to become a federal law, unless a majority of the U S people and a biparisan group of their representatives supported it.

After, all that said, I go on the record personally supporting ACA, better than nothing, a half-measure. It is much like DADT,that Clinton got passed.

I really don't think is is fair to spread those nasty (unsubstantiated) rumors,

I believe when he was in that bathroom stall he was only reaching into the next stall for tissue paper.

My Facebook feed is a hilarious stream of ridiculous and antiquated ideas and statements right now. My favorite, religions people somehow thinking this is somehow "evil" and prayers need to be said for the country. Utah is fun.

Prayer solves everything, don't you know?

Twitter is so very entertaining right now. Sarah Palin: Obama lies, Freedom Dies. :lmao: I wonder what she tweets when Bono lies?

:lol:

That's a sound, coherent argument if ever there was one!

maybe Rush will fufill his promise to leave since this passed.. One can only hope..

Limbaugh: I'll Leave US If Health Care Reform Passes (VIDEO)

and btw Rush, Costa Rica has Universal Health Care too. :D

Not to mention, didn't Rush go to Hawaii, I think, for some medical procedure some time back. And doesn't that state have the sort of "evil" healthcare he's complaining about?

Sigh. It's fun when stupid people talk.

Hawaii has had an insurance mandate for a very long time, although if I understand it correctly, it's a mandate for the employers who operate there, not for its citizens. Something about how it was implemented around the time of ERISA (the act that governs many employer-provided health plans), which I believe was back in the '70s?

One of our contacts at one of the Hawaii medical plans we use explained it to me in a very long-winded, roundabout way recently. Nice guy, but man, can he talk.

I don't see how this is a good thing. Another tax? Forcing me to buy something?

If you can't afford to get sick--DON'T.

If people can't stay healthy and eat right, it shouldn't be my responsibility to pay for them.

Liberty died today..with thunderous applause :(

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling.

So how would you propose someone born with a weak immune system should prevent any illnesses?

And that's just one example that falls outside your limits. There are millions more.

Last edited:
So how would you propose someone born with a weak immune system should prevent any illnesses?

And that's just one example that falls outside your limits. There are millions more.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully they can get a job that provides health insurance.

I don't see how this is a good thing. Another tax? Forcing me to buy something?

If you can't afford to get sick--DON'T.

If people can't stay healthy and eat right, it shouldn't be my responsibility to pay for them.

I do understand, somewhat where you are coming from, I fall more into the category of someone that pays for a lot more government services than I use.

There are those that are irresponsible with their choices and expect to have services provided to them at no or little costs.

Back
Top Bottom