London's burning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to derail the thread, but while Afghanistan was directly tied to 9/11, it has been shown that the Iraq war had nothing to do with it.

But I'm inclined to agree with Earnie. The rioting has devolved into something far removed from racism. It's mob mentality, groupthink, and just plain thuggery at its worst.

Yes but it all started as race. Then it escalated into plain thuggery. There shouldn't of been any riots in the first place, and it certainly shouldn't of escalated to other parts of the UK.

not that we are profiling
but he does fit the description of a rioter.

I think what we're saying is that he isn't in London at the moment.

If he were. . ..well, we know where he'd be. . . out with the other blacks.

The whole thing is incredibly sad and disheartening.

I also find it sad how an event like this brings the worse out in humanity. Not just on the streets in London but everywhere, I've seen some really horrible comments made on news websites and even in here.

The whole thing is incredibly sad and disheartening.

I also find it sad how an event like this brings the worse out in humanity. Not just on the streets in London but everywhere, I've seen some really horrible comments made on news websites and even in here.

I've been thinking the same thing. What drives people to behave like this. I don't know anyone that I consider a friend who would ever do the things these people are doing. Who are these people? I keep wondering that.

Though as I think about it, I've had a few students (only a few), who I could see doing this type of thing--and to be honest, I've had a hard time understanding them too. . .

To be honest these riots aren't too rare, even peaceful protests recently turned into riots and violence. The education costs protests recently ended up in thousands of pounds of damage in the streets of London.

out with the other blacks.

this phrase always makes me giggle. "the blacks." possibly because we knew a family with the last name Black. and so you'd hear things like, "will The Blacks be coming to the picnic?" and when used in the context above, it's almost adorably anachronistic, like hearing your grandmother trying to be PC or whatever but getting it terribly wrong. like "the gays" or, "oh, him? i didn't know he was a gay."

but, yes, back to the blacks ....

/random

Trouble in Manchester now, girlfriend was sent home from work early due to gathering of youths outside on the high street. Good thing too, shop near where she works is up in flames and the big shopping centre being attacked.

So wait, you agree with me? Last night had nothing to do with race.

I'd say in London it still has alot to do with race, however the troubles in other areas of the UK is just plain thuggery. Like i have said before the rioters don't even know what they're rioting over now. It has nothing to do with race were i live, its just silly uneducated yobs causing chaos on the streets. I am no racist but the majority of the people committing the crimes are black, it's obvious to see that. However people are to scared to say, people hide behind that social barrier of no-one can say black.

I am no racist but the majority of the people committing the crimes are black, it's obvious to see that.

that is not a correct statement

the majority of the people committing crimes are breaking the law and should be punished.

actually you belong to "the group' that is doing the vast majority of the crimes.

that is not a correct statement

the majority of the people committing crimes are breaking the law and should be punished.

actually you belong to "the group' that is doing the vast majority of the crimes.

You don't half chat some bull, you. Mr.contradiction.

You don't half chat some bull, you. Mr.contradiction.

Old-African-American-woman-with-daughters-C142-29-41.jpg

blacks, must be rioters and looters

or are the majority of the looters young males between the ages of 16 and 32

that is the group you are in?

Am I wrong?

Old-African-American-woman-with-daughters-C142-29-41.jpg

blacks, must be rioters and looters

or are the majority of the looters young males between the ages of 16 and 32

that is the group you are in?

Am I wrong?

For a start woman have been looting aswell, so that statement is wrong.

if you had to describe the 7 - 8 people milling around the victim, would you describe them as.

a. blacks

b. young males

I would choose b. If they were all black youths, i would describe them as young black youths. If not then i wouldn't say they were black.

( I see you edited the video out of your initial reply)[/QUOTE]

it weren't the video i wanted,there is a video of two girls who are basically gloating about the fact they have looted businesses.

ok,

so if you see a video of a 20 year old black male throwing a brick through a store window

you would say a black youth threw a brick through a store window?

( I see you edited the video out of your initial reply)

it weren't the video i wanted,there is a video of two girls who are basically gloating about the fact they have looted businesses.

still I didn't write that only young males are looting

I wrote a 'majority' of the looters are young males.

I still believe that is correct.

still I didn't write that only young males are looting

I wrote a 'majority' of the looters are young males.

I still believe that is correct.

You are correct. I also have said the majority of the rioters are black?

Am i correct?

You are correct. I also have said the majority of the rioters are black?

Am i correct?

race is a funny thing,

It has taken me over 50 years of living,
to understand, to let go of bias that is so prevalent and innocuous that most of us don't even see it.

when we say things like, 'I have many black friends, etc." that means there is a bias

race is a funny thing,

It has taken me over 50 years of living,
to understand, to let go of bias that is so prevalent and innocuous that most of us don't even see it.

when we say things like, 'I have many black friends, etc." that means there is a bias

I do have black friends, good friends at that. Who do not condone these riots, same as i didn't condone the riots of the educations costs. Which by a matter of fact was majority white people rioting.

The rioters are disgusting creatures..never been happier to live in an area largely free of 'the richness of diversity' than right now with these disgraceful events.

Back
Top Bottom