Kony 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
solutions owned and directed by the people of the region
that's the key :up:

re. the dodgy funding, yeah that is disturbing, but not sure what that would mean exactly re. IC's affiliations - all kinds of donors do give to all kinds of causes... heck, it's just come out in the press here that Gaddafi gave 50 million to Sarkozy's last election campaign :ohmy: (although Sarkozy is also viewed as the devil incarnate by many so maybe it's no surprise lol!)

you can bet even organisations like the One Campaign probably have all kinds of supporters including the American fundamentalist Christian right... it's surprising how many "normal" people seem to support fundamentalist whackjobs - a lot of American "Christians" i've met have been extremely right wing which both scares me and repulses me... maybe there is nothing deeper or sinister to this funding other than IC simply being perceived as a positive cause?? hopefully anyway! i guess it's hard for NGOs to control who gives them money unless they return the cheques and politely refuse lol

Yes, that part of his quote made me think it was a sort of "I'm going to support this without actually supporting it" comment.

I salute a strategy that generates this much interest if it¹s targeted towards lasting meaningful solutions

So ... not actually saluting it then? ;)

i think the people of accusing IC of money grabbing are a bit silly - they're not holding a gun to anyone's head - the option is there, that's all... people should make informed choices about which charities/causes they support - i certainly do! (which is why i didn't feel comfortable about donating to this as something doesn't feel quite right to me, although i do applaud their attempt at raising awareness of the issue, and they seem to have achieved that already) and if people give away their money without thinking about it and without fully supporting something, then they're just stupid and jumping on the bandwagon!

blimey, things are getting weird - have you seen the latest news about Jason Russell? sounds like he's had some kind of breakdown...

I have to say this whole thing is very odd. I've known about the organization for years because a friend of mine who is in a signed Christian band has been very active with them, so this sudden fame and vitriol is very weird for me. And then this news just puts it in another bizarro world for me.

I don't know how, I assume he was the only naked man masturbating in public and vandalizing cars and yelling in that area on that day. Unless someone faked the video.

the CEO of Invisible Children has issued a statement, so something's gone on at least

Don't do E or shrooms in public days after your viral, self-aggrandizing charity video goes public, folks.

Maybe providing a more compelling reason not to help in this istance, if one were so inclined, would be a better argument.
He's a despicable human being. I can't see a reason not to plaster his face across the world and bring him to justice, finally.

Yes, he is a despicable human being but he's not the only person out there who had child slaves. He is one of thousands of people guilty of this. He got away. If we can catch him and arrest him, great, but vengeance does not put food in the bellies of starving children, build homes, or provide clothing. We can track him down to the end of the world but in the end will it really be improving the lives of his victims? There are other things that are more important.

I'm pretty sure that catching Kony would do absolutely nothing whatsoever to end child soldiers, or any other atrocity.

And if the articles/videos from actual Ugandans saying "this will not help/this is not what we need" doesn't change your mind, then you have to ask yourself why you still want to help via this organization.

Jason Russell's family released a statement saying he's been diagnosed with brief reactive psychosis and continues to require hospitalization.

Regardless of criticisms about the goals and tactics of his NGO, I feel really bad for the guy--it's no one's fault he had an embarrassingly public psychotic episode, but it sure is someone's fault that some asshole filmed it then gave it to the media so we can all once again prove what kind of voyeuristic hypocrites we are.

Jason Russell's family released a statement saying he's been diagnosed with brief reactive psychosis and continues to require hospitalization.

Regardless of criticisms about the goals and tactics of his NGO, I feel really bad for the guy--it's no one's fault he had an embarrassingly public psychotic episode, but it sure is someone's fault that some asshole filmed it then gave it to the media so we can all once again prove what kind of voyeuristic hypocrites we are.

:up:

yeah i have my reservations about this NGO, but i feel really sorry for the guy and his family... they clearly weren't expecting any of this to go viral... his video was way too personal and focused on him and his family, which i guess made him incredibly vulnerable... people can be so nasty, it's scary! who needs "Big Brother" spying on our every move when we have each other? what a horrible society we live in...

they clearly weren't expecting any of this to go viral

They've been trying desperately to make their videos go viral for some time. Every one of their videos is designed that way

I wonder what has a greater affect on one's mental health: Public scrutiny over an ill advised viral video or having to suppress your obvious homosexuality because of your religion?

They've been trying desperately to make their videos go viral for some time. Every one of their videos is designed that way

god i am so naive sometimes, i just believe what people tell me

so, i'm not sure if i believe you or them now :lol:

Believe meeeeeeeeee

you can still watch them. They've been throwing shit at the wall for years and finally something stuck (and if you see any of the other videos, 'shit' is the appropriate term)

Regardless of my feelings about the whole thing, I do feel bad for the guy. Even if he's a money-hungry, egotistical maniac, I wouldn't wish mental illness on anyone. Scary.

Oh, he's not the egotistical one who proclaimed himself to be the child of Bono, Oprah and Spielberg? I honestly didn't realize this was a different guy who freaked out.

Oh, he's not the egotistical one who proclaimed himself to be the child of Bono, Oprah and Spielberg? I honestly didn't realize this was a different guy who freaked out.

no, that was the same guy i think!

No that is the same guy who freaked out and was on the Oprah show etc.-Jason Russell

I was just talking about the Jedidiah guy who joked about keeping the money. He's "director of ideology". He's just not the guy who freaked out.

Back
Top Bottom