John Boehner, House Speaker, Will Resign From Congress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regardless of how you feel about his job as Speaker, I'm genuinely concerned that no other House Republican can keep everything together like he has. McCarthy's only been a Rep for 8 years, so I'm skeptical he has the experience or the internal gravitas among his caucus needed to keep the Establishment and Conservatives together. Of course I don't know what he's like on the inside, but from the outside he seems like an inexperienced choice.

Of course, it took LBJ 4 years to become Democratic Leader in the Senate and he was amazing at that, so who knows?

The article says this will help prevent the government shut down...can someone explain this to me? I would think without someone there to organize, it's going to make things worse.

This was a GOP establishment move to appease the uprising that is supporting Trump, Carson, and lesser extend Carly.
The hope is now Rubio / Jeb numbers will go up.

Last edited:
Say what you will about Boehner, but it's clear he's no fan of the tea party wing of his party, and I hope whoever replaces him doesn't capitulate to them any more than Boehner did.

When you hear people on the right railing against the GOP establishment their anger is directed towards folks like Boehner. They run on conservative principles, yet when they get to DC Boehner and his cronies are scared shitless of passing bills through that may trigger the threat of a government shutdown from Obama. The right knows he'll veto their wishes, but they want to fight his agenda even if it done so symbolically.

He felt the pressure from the conservative wing and didn't want to fight it coming up against a vote of 'no confidence'. He's a decent guy, but just got to DC, and forgot about his grassroots.

This mirrors the GOP primary race where the outsider-insurgents hold the top spots in polling against those already in the political class.

They run on conservative principles, yet when they get to DC Boehner and his cronies are scared shitless of passing bills through that may trigger the threat of a government shutdown from Obama.

I don't understand how the GOP base has not yet caught on to the fact that the GOP will never, ever, EVER ban/criminalize abortion. That's what it all comes down to, all their histrionics and lies about what Planned Parenthood does. It is simply not in the GOP's interest to do so. Much better to be screaming from the mountaintops about the sanctity of life, so long as that life ends at birth.

They run on conservative principles, yet when they get to DC Boehner and his cronies are scared shitless of passing bills through that may trigger the threat of a government shutdown from Obama.

Obama isn't the one threatening government shutdowns.

The call is coming from inside the house!

It's a chess game between both sides. The GOP is the one who always supposed to reach across the aisle, while the Democrats are rarely ever called on to reciprocate.

It helps that the Democrats are the ones on the correct side of the argument, of course :wink:.

The article says this will help prevent the government shut down...can someone explain this to me? I would think without someone there to organize, it's going to make things worse.

He'll be there until the end of October - the fiscal year ends next week.

Let the government shut down.

why? what does this accomplish? isn't it just a tantrum? seriously -- what on earth would this do for anyone other than briefly satisfy (satisfy what, i'm not sure) the angry children in the comments section of a conservative website?

I wonder if people know that lots of people who work for the government don't receive their paychecks during the shutdown. You know like... people who have bills to pay. And families to feed.

The GOP is the one who always supposed to reach across the aisle, while the Democrats are rarely ever called on to reciprocate.

This just simply isn't true. There are plenty of Republicans and Democrats reaching across the aisle. The problem is that the far right wing of the Republican party thinks that compromise is a dirty word (instead of the necessity it is in a democratic government). The shutdown of 2 years ago and the imminent threat of one now is entirely their creation.

I wonder if people know that lots of people who work for the government don't receive their paychecks during the shutdown. You know like... people who have bills to pay. And families to feed.

Yeah, but the government is bad and evil and overreaching and and stuff (which, of course, naturally explains why the politicians who rail against it are trying to get jobs in this government they supposedly can't stand), so who cares, right?

Seriously, I hope that whole mess can be avoided somehow, for your sake as well as the fact that Congress just needs to grow the fuck up for once. I'd love to think, if there was a shutdown, the GOP would actually get the flack for it, since it's their ridiculous platform that would be at the heart of the whole situation. But they'll no doubt find some way to convince their supporters that the whole thing is all Obama's fault somehow, 'cause he wasn't willing to compromise with them or some BS like that :rolleyes:.

The government can't afford to keep spending money that they don't have.
So I guess that boils down to whether you believe that continuing to increase the debt is worth keeping the government from shutting down. My belief is no.
Start cutting spending elsewhere so we're not constantly running deficits. If we were fiscally responsible, we wouldn't be in this predicament. That's certainly the fault of both parties.
This is equally the republicans and democrats fault. Both parties suck.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So you're ok with cutting defense budget right?

I don't know if bobsaget's post was a response to me, but I was just thinking about the Planned Parenthood thing in regards to the shutdown, since I'd heard that that was a big issue that could lead to that happening. If that's the case, that's what I mean by "ridiculous platform".

I agree that the government blows a lot of money on both sides, though. But I don't know that a shutdown is going to help fix that problem. Especially since my guess is that if the government did shut down, the parties would just try and find some sort of temporary solution to get it back up and going again as quickly as possible, in an attempt to avoid pissing off the public at large.

As a result, they'd continue to keep kicking the issue of out of control spending down the road, like they have before, and a few months or a year or so from now we'll be dealing with that problem all over again. And the cycle will just keep continuing. A shutdown is a mere band aid solution, if that.

the parties would just try and find some sort of temporary solution to get it back up and going again as quickly as possible, in an attempt to avoid pissing off the public at large.
This is a huge reason for our debt and lack of bipartisanship on both sides. Politicians are not willing to make the tough cuts and choices because someone won't be happy. Can't appease everyone all the time.

As a result, they'd continue to keep kicking the issue of out of control spending down the road, like they have before, and a few months or a year or so from now we'll be dealing with that problem all over again. And the cycle will just keep continuing. A shutdown is a mere band aid solution, if that.

This is why spending has to be cut. Major changes have to be done. We're just doing the same thing we did last time and that didnt work out too well since we're back in this hole again.

I agree with that. I'm just saying that I don't think shutting down the government will do much, if anything, to make your suggestions happen. I don't think Congress will take the shutdown as seriously as they should if it happens, and any "compromises" they make to end it will be superficial in nature and full of grandstanding, instead of a chance for them to actually genuinely work together and agree to make serious, hard cuts within their respective parties.

I agree with that. I'm just saying that I don't think shutting down the government will do much, if anything, to make your suggestions happen. I don't think Congress will take the shutdown as seriously as they should if it happens, and any "compromises" they make to end it will be superficial in nature and full of grandstanding, instead of a chance for them to actually genuinely work together and agree to make serious, hard cuts within their respective parties.

Basically we're screwed either way.
If we get shut down, they'll end up making BS compromises to end it.
If we don't get shut down, they'll end up making BS compromises to prevent it.
Blaming one singular party or one singular person for this will get us nowhere. But of course, we have an election coming up so everything will hinge on politics as usual. Blame the opposite party for everything and take no fault within their own party.
We need a leadership overhaul in our country. We need new leaders in congress and a new president. What's going on now isn't working and is worse than it's ever been.

Back
Top Bottom