It has been over a decade – how has your life really changed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In 2006 I was working an unfulfilling retail management job, living the typical mid-20s single life in a big city (not a ton of responsibility, but not a ton of direction either).

Three years later I'd meet my future wife, who would encourage me to find something I could be passionate about as a career. In 2010 we got engaged, I quit my job and we moved to Chicago so I could train to be a piano technician (I was a piano major in college and have always loved the piano). We got married in 2011, I completed my training (including an amazing, life-altering summer internship with the Boston Symphony Orchestra), we moved to Omaha in 2013 (my wife grew up in Nebraska and still has lots of family here), and I've been working as an independent piano tech for just about 5 years now. Life is pretty damn good, all in all.

Very cool Diemen. I've always admired those who took their love of music to next level (from the technicians in the studio and the mixing, board - to instrument repair - to studio musician - to church bands - to teachers - and yes, even to music critics). I read "Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles" by Geoff Emerick, Howard Massey, Elvis Costello (Foreword by) - a few years back...very engrossing....Anyway, I'm glad to see you found your passion.

Eyewubbee :wave:

Let's see... I graduated, got a job, got a cat, met this amazing woman, fell in love, got an even bigger beard, bought a house, got a better job, became a dad of an amazing little boy.

I guess it's been an eventful decade :D

Despite our differences in this forum, I bet- in the flesh- we would get along.

Geez digitize that sounds a bit rough of late. Take care, man.

Ahhh, my childhood dreams were also to drive trains. I'd still love to one day :)

I'm pretty jealous honestly. I've considered getting a PhD in English, but the US job market for academics is atrocious as well. I'm just trying to retire early if my more ambitious creative tasks don't pan out.

The research project on which I'm currently employed is an economic and environmental history of railways in Australia and New Zealand, so I might not be driving trains but I've managed to make them part of my professional life. I didn't even really intend to write railway history, but the project emerged from my previous work on New Zealand's political history.

And I never even applied for academic positions in the States because it looks like such a shitshow. I put applications in to European universities and would've taken one if I'd been successful, but I'm glad I've been hired by an Australian university - it's been a bit of a challenge moving to a new city where I know nobody, so going across the world would've been even harder. At least here it's just a short trip back down to Melbourne.

Though catching Axver's 150000 post count is unlikely!
Axver I totally understand your story! And yep I'm in Dunedin, and will absolutely buy you a beer. Perhaps when U2 will be play here next year (fingers crossed).

I'm going to have to think of something good for that 150,000th post aren't I. It's getting uncomfortably close...

Fingers crossed for a tour next year. And no doubt I'll be in Dunedin at some point in the near future to research at the Hocken Library. I love it down there. I'll be in Auckland in November, which is far less exciting to me. I'm thinking of a side trip to the Bay of Plenty though, as I've never been to Tauranga, Te Puke, Whakatane, or anywhere like that.

While those places you mention are perhaps not guide-book highlights the drive from Whakatane to Gizzy is amazing.
Hocken... must visit that place!

Shame I can't drive! I've always wanted to do the trip around the East Cape. On this visit I definitely don't have time to do the region justice even if I did rope in a friend to handle the driving. But Tauranga looks pretty enough from what I've seen.

I may be a North Islander but I'm much better travelled in the South. That whole eastern coastline north of Napier is a terra incognita for me.

Eyewubbee :wave:

Let's see... I graduated, got a job, got a cat, met this amazing woman, fell in love, got an even bigger beard, bought a house, got a better job, became a dad of an amazing little boy.

I guess it's been an eventful decade :D

teeethy!!! That's a pretty solid list
of good life stuff, glad to hear it!

I literally have no idea why, but I'm visiting this site for the first time in years. Then I stumbled upon this thread...

I was more of a "lurker" in here but mostly posted in PLEBA...:|...don't judge, I was a hormone filled 13 year old!! :lol: Almost 11 years later, I'm 23, been finally diagnosed with ADHD, which gives me a much greater understanding of myself. I've also got a much better hold on my depression and anxiety. I work at a dog daycare and I'm trying to get my career in dog training started.

Both this place and U2 were honestly my solace and I've made some lasting friends along the way.

It's crazy reading some of your stories/summarizations of the past 10 years, I'm happy to read lots of good things! :heart:

Last edited:
There have been a lot of struggles. I lost a 21-year-old sibling to suicide this year. That's... incredibly painful. My parents and remaining sibling are really torn up in a lot of ways, and it's tough to be around them, though I try to support them. The suicide is really hard to work through, and the financial situation doesn't help.
Holy cow man that's awful :hug: Sorry to hear!

Believe it or not...I too, love cats. Our home has three permanent residents and we have fostered kittens until their adoption (a heartwarming and heartbreaking experience)

Glad to see you've accomplishment so much in your education! Awesome job!

Cats are pretty damn great. My best friend used to house foster kitties, I really admired them for doing that. Giving a kitten away that you've raised with love and care seems incredibly hard to me. I'm already so attached to my 4 month old ones, wouldn't be able to part anymore at all! I don't know how you do it, but it's great that there are people who care for the little ones!

How has my life changed this past decade? How hasn't it changed is more like it.

In 2007, I was finishing my Bachelor's degree in Minnesota. Graduated in December, got a job in retail, started applications for grad school. Got admitted into several in California, which resulted in me moving to LA in the summer of 2008. Started a Master's program that fall, got a job as a TA, moved into my own apartment in the Valley in the spring of 2009, graduated with my Master's in 2012. Got a job, worked for a few months. And then in December 2012 I started dating my now-soon to be husband, also from Interf.

I applied for PhD programs in Europe, got accepted into several here, and finally moved to Germany in the spring of 2014 and started a PhD program in Linguistics. I got a job teaching English, have finished all the field research required for my work, and am now finishing my dissertation and working part time as an English teacher, and living with my wonderful partner in Berlin.

We are getting married next Friday, I hopefully finish my thesis and graduate with a doctorate degree next spring, and get a full time job in academia :)

Life has indeed changed since 2007!

Last edited:
How has my life changed this past decade? How hasn't it changed is more like it.

In 2007, I was finishing my Bachelor's degree in Minnesota. Graduated in December, got a job in retail, started applications for grad school. Got admitted into several in California, which resulted in me moving to LA in the summer of 2008. Started a Master's program that fall, got a job as a TA, moved into my own apartment in the Valley in the spring of 2009, graduated with my Master's in 2012. Got a job, worked for a few months. And then in December 2012 I started dating my now-soon to be husband, also from Interf.

I applied for PhD programs in Europe, got accepted into several here, and finally moved to Germany in the spring of 2014 and started a PhD program in Linguistics. I got a job teaching English, have finished all the field research required for my work, and am now finishing my dissertation and working part time as an English teacher, and living with my wonderful partner in Berlin.

We are getting married next Friday, I hopefully finish my thesis and graduate with a doctorate degree next spring, and get a full time job in academia :)

Life has indeed changed since 2007!
Impossible not to smile reading this!

35 now, 25 then (obviously). 10 years ago, September 2007 was actually the month I got engaged to the woman who is now my wife. In October of 07, I bought our house that we still live in. I still have the same job that I had 10 years ago, although I've definitely paid my dues and have built myself up quite a bit within my career (Agriculture). Definitely make more money, and definitely spend more money then I did 10 years ago. The sayings "Gotta spend more money to make more money" and "More money, more problems" apply here.

I now have a wife and 2 kids (ages 4 & 6), that's definitely the biggest change. My parents and even grandparents are still alive and well. I still have pretty much the same friends now that I did then. But whereas we used to go out drinking until 4am every weekend, now we have usually called it a night by midnight, and only do that a handful of times a year. Some friendships went past their expiration date, but they were only temporary figures anyway. The friends I have now will hopefully be my friends for life. I still like playing guitar, whenever I can find the time. U2 are still my favorite band, and I still visit Interference nearly every day.

I used to smoke a pack a day 10 years ago, and now I only smoke the occasional cigarette when drinking with certain people, so that's good. Have put on a little weight, that's not so good. I feel like I've calmed down overall about things. The future is no longer this frightening dark tunnel, I've kind of got a plan now. I don't worry too much about what people think, and it takes a lot more to get under my skin now. I don't freak out about finances so much anymore. I don't care who has a nicer house, nicer car, more money than I do anymore.

I suppose in many ways, my life is kind of the same. I still feel 25, until I'm actually in the presence of 25 year olds. I feel very fortunate, overall. I hope the next 10 are as good to me as the last 10 were.

I'm still an officer in Army Reserves (moving up the ranks) and I love it.

I finished my MBA in 2008 and now own my own business that consults with Intel, Allstate, and my main client - IBM Watson Commercial Operations (specifically Watson Health - some amazing Big Data projects around cancer research ).

I have a son that helps my wife understand "maleness" a little more (she had no brothers and an absentee father). We've been married for 15 years now! She is a Sr. Project Manager at Blizzard. (yes, I get to go BlizzCon every year!)

I love being a Soldier - but I also love being a civilian. I'm not great at anything, but I think I am pretty good at a great many things. I was just born this way I guess...

If you were to see me in the street you might think I'm a Nazi (tall, blonde hair, blue eyed, male with a military hair cut). But I'm not. I spend most of my energy making the world a more peaceful and beautiful place for everyone....

Felt like chiming in on this old thread ... in 2006 I was working for the internal production company of a major cable network doing mildly interesting stuff. I was offered a job at a hungry, young production company, made myself indispensable, and my career took off. I’ve been there 10 years and have produced cable series on a wide variety of topics and traveled extensively across the US and even internationally. Its been a great ride, but I need a change — am taking steps to move into narrative fiction. Eventually, we will likely move west (my husband’s great job keeps us in DC for the time being).

In 2006, I had just gotten together with my husband, and we were pretty madly in love. I didnt think then that we’d be legally married in 10 years. We were on the front lines of enormous (but very simple) social change. We went to protests and demonstrations in front of the White House, and were there celebrating when SCOTUS legalized SSM a few years later.

Marriage has been a profound experience in many ways, and I am grateful for my husband every day. We moved from a cheap apartment to a decent apartment to buying a townhouse in the heart of DC and will very soon be moving into one of the few remaining single family homes within the district. We have a dog, and occasionally talk about kids. Right now, we’re career-focused and consumed by real estate. We also travel widely.

Also in the past 10 years I lost a beloved grandmother to dimentia and then an immediate family member in an accident. I myself was seriously injured while exercising. So there’s been trauma as well. I also have two awesome nephews who I don’t see enough.

Life for the most part is equal parts love and work, and I’m grateful to have both.

Last edited:
I haven't posted here since 2013. I read occasionally but left posting for a couple different reasons. I sure wish my life could be what it was like a decade ago. Three years ago I went through a horrible situation, not anything I'd ever want to talk about here but I made it through.

Two and a half years ago I became the caregiver for my Mom, she is now dying of cancer and coming home tomorrow for hospice care. I don't know how long she has left and how I'm ever going to do it even with their help.

Throughout it all people have never failed to disappoint me. Most of all my own "family" other than my Mom but that really was no surprise . Friends who are too "busy". I've met strangers who have treated me with more kindness and in little ways most days made my own family. I've been forced to open up more to people, my guard is always up but it's a daily process.

One good thing is that I'm not the same person at all that I was before all this. For the better. I've done things I never thought I could. I have better self esteem and self confidence. I have zero tolerance anymore for less than what I deserve, zero tolerance for certain types of people. Pain of the highest order forces you to filter.

My Mom had about a year during which she was better. Last October we did early voting together and I had tears in my eyes as we voted for a woman for President. Instead we got a ridiculous misogynist narcissist who is ruining what was left of this country. Life really is unfair, to my Mom and to all of us.

U2 isn't even on my radar anymore, I know they went out on tour. The first time I had tickets but couldn't go because I was taking care of my Mom. I went to one Bruce concert when we had a home health aide. I have had very little for me and that is a hard life. I hang on hoping there's a better life for me somewhere down the line...but most days it's hard to hold on to that hope.

I have one friend from here who I still stay in touch with, she has been a true and loyal friend and supported me throughout. And I hope I have been and done same for her.

:hug: MrsS. It is very, very hard. I did what you are doing for my grandmother, but had help. My parents were mostly involved and I was the primary one when they went overseas. She was dying of Alzheimer's for many years. It really takes a toll on you and you forget to take care of yourself most of the time. It's a very selfless thing but it isn't easy.

I wish peace for your Mom in her last days and an easy journey. Thoughts and prayers your way.

Sending loving thoughts, Mrs. S. Take time for yourself, too. Then you'll be able to give more to others, Listen to some good music and let Bono's beautiful lyrics and voice remind you of some good things. God bless.

i was in college.

i did a lot of drugs.

i (barely) graduated from college.

i joined the army.

i got married.

i quit the army.

i moved halfway across the country twice.

i got a career in a good industry.

i got divorced.

i got laid off.

i did a lot of drugs.

i was homeless.

i got an apartment.

i got a girlfriend.

i got a job.

i got a much better career in a much better industry.

i bought a condo.

i'm going to marry my girlfriend.

my life is amazing now.

that pretty much sums up the last 10 years for me.

Last edited:
it's been a crazy 10 years. i thought for a long time that i couldn't really make a post in this thread that didn't turn into 10,000 boring words about myself - apparently i just needed to smoke some high-octane weed and not think too much about it. :hi5:

i'm super excited about the next 10.

it's been a crazy 10 years. i thought for a long time about how to make a post in this thread that didn't turn into 10,000 words - turns out i just needed to smoke some high-octane weed and not think too much about it. :hi5:

It was a good post. I enjoy your posts, especially the political ones a year or so back! Always sobering and inspiring to read about hardship and resilience and overcoming shitty shit. All the best, sir.

For myself, I stopped posting here regularly, largely because I got burnt out on politics, got tired of arguing all the time and came to enjoy reading and listening more. Philosophy, theology, history, foreign languages...all very enjoyable pursuits these days.

I'm happy, though, that a lot of the kinds of things I used to argue about all those years ago are now more mainstream ideas.

I was in high school. I was a centrist. My only real hobby was following sports.

I'm in my mid-20s and have a full-time job at a small business. I am a far leftist. My hobbies are following sports, going to concerts, and drinking.

it's been a crazy 10 years. i thought for a long time that i couldn't really make a post in this thread that didn't turn into 10,000 boring words about myself - apparently i just needed to smoke some high-octane weed and not think too much about it. :hi5:

Can you tell me the Bae-veC story in full some time? It sounds like it could be a movie. Very interesting.

In 2006 I was 14 and just starting high school. From the ages 14-18 I was an apathetic robot with no emotions portrayed. Probably borderline depressed but repressed. Moved about three hours north to Orlando to attend UCF for my undergrad where my true "coming of age" story began. I discovered music and I discovered sexuality simultaneously! As I started my undergrad I sort of let all of my emotions out. It was easy to do when I was disconnected from my friends of a former life, being alone in a new world. I learned really quickly that those folks were never really my friends, but more of just circumstance. So, I quietly slipped out the back door from my former life and started anew when I finished my first year of undergrad. This included three things: making new friends, exercise, and coming out. I found balance to my chaos in running, and expression in music. I made some great friends, who to this day I would say are all my best friends. I finished undergrad in aerospace engineering and another in some long drawn out computational title with a bunch of astronomy stuffs.

As I finished, I had my only real non-flingy experience with someone in the form of unrequited love for a solid two years. The kind where you knew the true thing from the get go but you don't give up on because you want it. Anyways yeah, real damaging, hate people now etc.

I really wanted to do Astro for a phd but lacked the pure physics background for it so I was universally rejected on all of my applications at the time. But, in darkness came light. Grad school didn't like my scrappy jack of all trades/master of none profile, but one mentor at NASA did. She gave me a chance at an internship working on what is effectively strategic mission analysis for NASA's Journey to Mars. It was the break I needed after so many downers at the time. I made the best of it, absolutely killed it, really gave me some fire.

During that time I realized that I couldn't be complacent. I needed to have life experiences. I am a space explorer as much as I am a world explorer. I wanted to live abroad, and I didn't want to settle down. So, I chose to do a masters in the same subject I did my internship in, but over here in England. I chose the program because it offered to put me on a six month assignment living in Italy working in industry, living in France, and living in the Netherlands working at ESA. The project was a massive success, and saw a flurry of proceedings and publications. I got to see some 20 countries on four continents. Really, the whole of the moon.

But, in the meanwhile, my social life collapsed. I experienced a number of issues upon moving abroad that absolutely spiked my anxiety and put me out of proper rest. For two months I was left without a proper home by my university because they inexplicably cancelled my loans. Moved hostel to hotel to Airbnb etc etc whatever I could find, some 15-20 times in those two months. All in the meanwhile, I was doing a degree. When that was over, I went home for three weeks (but home is SFla/Orlando/NYC/DC these days so it's a lot of moving around to see family). January was exams. February was end of 2nd semester work. March was moving to Italy and the project - we hit the ground running and every single weekend on the project I went somewhere new in Europe to make the most of it). When it was done, I spent a month in Australia and New Zealand at a big conference and otherwise exploring.

I'm lucky. Very. I got to see a lot. More than plenty do in a lifetime. But, I'm tired. I haven't slept in the same bed for over three weeks since March of 2016. I miss my friends. I accidentally ended up "back in the closet" per say, not by shame or by choice, but rather because everything just moved so fast and the friendships around me weren't that strong. Every new city you go... you meet someone new... they don't wanna touch you with a ten foot poll. You're blacklisted, because you lack permanence.

So yeah, I've finally wrapped up this massive life experience. My body probably aged ten years in one, and I'm just super excited to do nothing for a few weeks come Monday. Come January I have another gig at NASA in Houston for four months - I fear short term now, and am already imagining how my next set of social experiences may fair. I have eight weeks to shake my cynicism, put a smile on, and be prepared to start again.

Sorry for the sloppy writing.

You're doing pretty well mate :up: sounds like one hell of a life you've lived. be kind to yourself. I'd seek therapy if you can - I know it's been a huge help for my anxiety :)

Back
Top Bottom