It has been over a decade – how has your life really changed? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #21
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Wow. This thread is a bit mind blowing. I've lurked on here since well before 2006 but barley ever post.
Why?
Mostly cause I find it so intimidating. All these regulars who I presume are so cool, confident, faultless, together, know each other so well etc.
Then these wee testimonials show how these terrifying avatars are really real people going through the same shit as me, the struggles and pain. And Galeongirl is on the autism spectrum! Shit! Me too! Mind blown.
So yeah. Even for lurkers like me who you all know nothing about and never see my name pop up, I'm still here, and you lot and this place has been and still is really important for me.
Behind every anonymous face on the internet rests a story. Everyone has their struggles, everyone had their issues, but they all brought us to where we are now. And most people pretend to be cool on the internet anyway. Though not me, I really am cool in real life.

Why not post more? Don't let anyone intimidate you, we might come across as a bit clique-y sometimes but most people are pretty cool here. Just don't barge in on the community like topics, just say hi or something like you just did with this post. Start posting here and there, EYKIW is a great place to start, and people will easily accept you into the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
We had a long PM chain going for a while, haha. Reckon that helped build my confidence
Yeah, those were the days. Then you grew up and got a life and all and left me behind.

Nah I guess we both got too busy with life. Would be fun to catch up some day. I swear I'll be coming to Melbourne in a few years for a holiday!
__________________

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,936
Local Time: 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
Graduated high school, graduated college, got a job as an engineer. I studied computer science because I thought it would lead to better job security (it has), but my passions have always been literature and storytelling. I regret not going that path in college, but the grass is always greener.
It's funny, I often wonder what would've come of me if I had chosen a more "employable" path. I've been very lucky so far pursuing History. The job market is fucking awful, really. I began university expecting to go into politics, and certainly I'd enjoy greater job security if I had followed that path into, say, the public service. I also toyed with town planning.

Truth be told, though, my childhood ambitions were to drive trains and write. I can't see well enough, so being a train driver was never on the table. If I weren't legally blind, I'd probably be driving a coalie somewhere in New Zealand right now, the draft of a novel at my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Wow. This thread is a bit mind blowing. I've lurked on here since well before 2006 but barley ever post.
Why?
Mostly cause I find it so intimidating. All these regulars who I presume are so cool, confident, faultless, together, know each other so well etc.
Then these wee testimonials show how these terrifying avatars are really real people going through the same shit as me, the struggles and pain. And Galeongirl is on the autism spectrum! Shit! Me too! Mind blown.
So yeah. Even for lurkers like me who you all know nothing about and never see my name pop up, I'm still here, and you lot and this place has been and still is really important for me.
This really is the only forum I post on where I'm a regular. There are a couple of others where I post now and then, but I've never been able to fit into the community or become a regular, so I hear you. I got my start on EYKIW back when it was more active, then the setlist parties for the Vertigo Tour. I actually thought I was slowly checking out of Interference in 2007, and then the Superthread happened in 2008. I'm not sure I posted more than a couple of times in places like B&C until then.

I remember when one of my colleagues a few years ago made a comment to me about "you're a cool guy, you know everybody and you hang out with bands". I thought she was taking the piss because all I could hear in my head was the laughter of the people who knew me in high school. It took me a while to realise these people I worked with didn't know me in high school and didn't have any preconceived ideas about me being some awkward loner who was easy to wind up.

I've forgotten which part of New Zealand you're in - is it Dunedin? But when I'm next in the right neck of the woods, come join me for a beer if you want. It's always better to have company, much as I like nursing a pint while reading a book.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
prbiker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 15,611
Local Time: 07:52 AM
Well...in the past 10 years I graduated from high school and graduated from college 3 months ago. Now I'm just job searching, but anywhere away from home - there's no work here in my field of interest. I have a Bachelor's in TV Production, and surprisingly I've found about 10-15 vacant, full-time positions across the U.S.. The best-case scenario would be to have moved out and start working somewhere by the end of the year, but it's looking a bit grim. Other than that, life is pretty good.
prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #24
Refugee
 
nbelcik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,592
Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
Well...in the past 10 years I graduated from high school and graduated from college 3 months ago. Now I'm just job searching, but anywhere away from home - there's no work here in my field of interest. I have a Bachelor's in TV Production, and surprisingly I've found about 10-15 vacant, full-time positions across the U.S.. The best-case scenario would be to have moved out and start working somewhere by the end of the year, but it's looking a bit grim. Other than that, life is pretty good.


We're in the same boat man. I just graduated college in June. I'm going to be working in Portland living with my parents for a year or two and then head onto grad school to get a masters in public policy. 10 years ago I had just moved to Portland from Charlottesville, VA with my family and was starting middle school. Crazy how much has changed in the past 10 years. I joined Interference back in 2011/2012 and mainly lurked back then but occasionally I post now. This is a pretty cool community.
nbelcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #25
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,622
Local Time: 05:52 AM
In 2006 I was working an unfulfilling retail management job, living the typical mid-20s single life in a big city (not a ton of responsibility, but not a ton of direction either).

Three years later I'd meet my future wife, who would encourage me to find something I could be passionate about as a career. In 2010 we got engaged, I quit my job and we moved to Chicago so I could train to be a piano technician (I was a piano major in college and have always loved the piano). We got married in 2011, I completed my training (including an amazing, life-altering summer internship with the Boston Symphony Orchestra), we moved to Omaha in 2013 (my wife grew up in Nebraska and still has lots of family here), and I've been working as an independent piano tech for just about 5 years now. Life is pretty damn good, all in all.
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #26
Refugee
 
TinKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 1,025
Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
It's funny, I often wonder what would've come of me if I had chosen a more "employable" path. I've been very lucky so far pursuing History. The job market is fucking awful, really. I began university expecting to go into politics, and certainly I'd enjoy greater job security if I had followed that path into, say, the public service. I also toyed with town planning.

Truth be told, though, my childhood ambitions were to drive trains and write. I can't see well enough, so being a train driver was never on the table. If I weren't legally blind, I'd probably be driving a coalie somewhere in New Zealand right now, the draft of a novel at my side
Ahhh, my childhood dreams were also to drive trains. I'd still love to one day

I'm pretty jealous honestly. I've considered getting a PhD in English, but the US job market for academics is atrocious as well. I'm just trying to retire early if my more ambitious creative tasks don't pan out.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen
Three years later I'd meet my future wife, who would encourage me to find something I could be passionate about as a career. In 2010 we got engaged, I quit my job and we moved to Chicago so I could train to be a piano technician (I was a piano major in college and have always loved the piano). We got married in 2011, I completed my training (including an amazing, life-altering summer internship with the Boston Symphony Orchestra), we moved to Omaha in 2013 (my wife grew up in Nebraska and still has lots of family here), and I've been working as an independent piano tech for just about 5 years now. Life is pretty damn good, all in all.
Dude, that's fucking awesome.
TinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #27
Refugee
 
TinKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 1,025
Local Time: 04:52 AM
I'm also kinda surprised at how young a lot of us are here. More < 30 year olds than I thought.
TinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,074
Local Time: 05:52 AM
It has been over a decade – how has your life really changed?

It's super interesting reading all of this! I appreciate everyone's testimonials, and I love hearing the positive role that Interference has played in many roles, as it has in mine.

Let's see... well, I was 14 ten years ago and now I'm 24, so that's a rather big shift in itself. At 14, I was kinda nerdy and awkward (like many here). I'm not sure that's entirely gone away (not that it necessarily should!), though I'm at least more comfortable now. I was also pretty emotionally intense at the age of 14, something that hasn't really faded at all.

I went through high school super involved in debate, and loved that, along with general STEM studies. I spent five years at UT-Austin after that and truly had an amazing time, getting to study engineering and lots of liberal arts as well. I discovered that I really love both, and I greatly enjoyed my studies in general, for their variety and the intensity of engineering. I wasn't very into partying and I didn't drink at all, but I found a nice niche of friends. And I had engaging and fun internships in New York, San Diego, and Dallas. There were some difficult moments... my family's financial situation basically collapsed during my time at UT, for instance, which was painful to watch. But I'm very positive about my time there.

I now work at a management consulting firm in Dallas. I mostly find the work pretty interesting, but I struggle with the hours sometimes, especially as of late (80 hours per week is very different than 60 hours per week). One weird facet of my life here is that I'm traveling for work more than I'm home. Usually nowadays, it's just down to Austin, but I spend 4 nights per week there and often go other places than home (Dallas) on weekends. I love this for now, but recognize that it comes at a cost, and that I won't love it forever.

There have been a lot of struggles. I lost a 21-year-old sibling to suicide this year. That's... incredibly painful. My parents and remaining sibling are really torn up in a lot of ways, and it's tough to be around them, though I try to support them. The suicide is really hard to work through, and the financial situation doesn't help.

I've varied a bit on religion over the years, in ways not terribly atypical for a progressive white Southern young adult. I was raised Christian but by reasonably progressive parents; we mostly went to Episcopal church. My mom turned a lot more conservative as I became an atheist at the end of high school (2010ish), which was a struggle. I'm back more towards Progressive Christianity (I don't at all think that homosexuality is sinful, and traditional Christian doctrine of hell strikes me as abhorrent and absurdly unlikely - some big rifts I have with a lot of Christian teaching in the US), with a rather substantial dash of agnosticism. I readily admit that I don't think there's any solid evidence that God actually exists, but I have some hope that He does, and I think it benefits me and the world around me for me to act on that hope. But I also admit that I could trend back towards atheism, though I hope I don't right now. Regardless, religion is a topic of very real interest to me.

I've had a couple of relationships, both of which ended painfully in the last year. The first was a six year relationship; the second was a six month relationship. The latter was really tied up constantly with my religious adventures, and the breakup there is still painful for me to work through.

But all in all, I'm very blessed, even as life is a continually interesting adventure.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #29
Refugee
 
kiwilad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Malmsbury Villa
Posts: 1,474
Local Time: 12:52 AM
Thanks Galeongirl, sound advice and you're right, I need to post more! It can get a bit habitual to just sit back and watch, avoiding conflicts etc, but ultimately that's not really very fulfilling.
Though catching Axver's 150000 post count is unlikely!
Axver I totally understand your story! And yep I'm in Dunedin, and will absolutely buy you a beer. Perhaps when U2 will be play here next year (fingers crossed).
Thanks guys
kiwilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Meanwhile I'm pretty damn okay alone with my kitties. Perhaps the crazy cat lady life ain't so bad!
Believe it or not...I too, love cats. Our home has three permanent residents and we have fostered kittens until their adoption (a heartwarming and heartbreaking experience)

Glad to see you've accomplishment so much in your education! Awesome job!
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
In 2006 I was working an unfulfilling retail management job, living the typical mid-20s single life in a big city (not a ton of responsibility, but not a ton of direction either).

Three years later I'd meet my future wife, who would encourage me to find something I could be passionate about as a career. In 2010 we got engaged, I quit my job and we moved to Chicago so I could train to be a piano technician (I was a piano major in college and have always loved the piano). We got married in 2011, I completed my training (including an amazing, life-altering summer internship with the Boston Symphony Orchestra), we moved to Omaha in 2013 (my wife grew up in Nebraska and still has lots of family here), and I've been working as an independent piano tech for just about 5 years now. Life is pretty damn good, all in all.
Very cool Diemen. I've always admired those who took their love of music to next level (from the technicians in the studio and the mixing, board - to instrument repair - to studio musician - to church bands - to teachers - and yes, even to music critics). I read "Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles" by Geoff Emerick, Howard Massey, Elvis Costello (Foreword by) - a few years back...very engrossing....Anyway, I'm glad to see you found your passion.
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:54 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
Eyewubbee

Let's see... I graduated, got a job, got a cat, met this amazing woman, fell in love, got an even bigger beard, bought a house, got a better job, became a dad of an amazing little boy.

I guess it's been an eventful decade
Despite our differences in this forum, I bet- in the flesh- we would get along.
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:55 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
Hello again nbc
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:02 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
And Aeon is probably his facebook friend, hoping to bring back a conservative to help defend fascism. Or something.
Obergruppenführer John Smith never accepted my friend request...
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:04 AM   #35
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,936
Local Time: 10:52 PM
Geez digitize that sounds a bit rough of late. Take care, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
Ahhh, my childhood dreams were also to drive trains. I'd still love to one day

I'm pretty jealous honestly. I've considered getting a PhD in English, but the US job market for academics is atrocious as well. I'm just trying to retire early if my more ambitious creative tasks don't pan out.
The research project on which I'm currently employed is an economic and environmental history of railways in Australia and New Zealand, so I might not be driving trains but I've managed to make them part of my professional life. I didn't even really intend to write railway history, but the project emerged from my previous work on New Zealand's political history.

And I never even applied for academic positions in the States because it looks like such a shitshow. I put applications in to European universities and would've taken one if I'd been successful, but I'm glad I've been hired by an Australian university - it's been a bit of a challenge moving to a new city where I know nobody, so going across the world would've been even harder. At least here it's just a short trip back down to Melbourne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Though catching Axver's 150000 post count is unlikely!
Axver I totally understand your story! And yep I'm in Dunedin, and will absolutely buy you a beer. Perhaps when U2 will be play here next year (fingers crossed).
I'm going to have to think of something good for that 150,000th post aren't I. It's getting uncomfortably close...

Fingers crossed for a tour next year. And no doubt I'll be in Dunedin at some point in the near future to research at the Hocken Library. I love it down there. I'll be in Auckland in November, which is far less exciting to me. I'm thinking of a side trip to the Bay of Plenty though, as I've never been to Tauranga, Te Puke, Whakatane, or anywhere like that.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:42 AM   #36
Refugee
 
kiwilad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Malmsbury Villa
Posts: 1,474
Local Time: 12:52 AM
While those places you mention are perhaps not guide-book highlights the drive from Whakatane to Gizzy is amazing.
Hocken... must visit that place!
kiwilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:18 AM   #37
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,936
Local Time: 10:52 PM
Shame I can't drive! I've always wanted to do the trip around the East Cape. On this visit I definitely don't have time to do the region justice even if I did rope in a friend to handle the driving. But Tauranga looks pretty enough from what I've seen.

I may be a North Islander but I'm much better travelled in the South. That whole eastern coastline north of Napier is a terra incognita for me.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,783
Local Time: 07:52 AM
It has been over a decade – how has your life really changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
Eyewubbee

Let's see... I graduated, got a job, got a cat, met this amazing woman, fell in love, got an even bigger beard, bought a house, got a better job, became a dad of an amazing little boy.

I guess it's been an eventful decade

teeethy!!! That's a pretty solid list
of good life stuff, glad to hear it!
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:26 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict
 
Bonogirl777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: At Tim Horton's with Kristen and Val talking about Tan Adam and fashion disasters.
Posts: 25,705
Local Time: 07:52 AM
I literally have no idea why, but I'm visiting this site for the first time in years. Then I stumbled upon this thread...

I was more of a "lurker" in here but mostly posted in PLEBA......don't judge, I was a hormone filled 13 year old!! Almost 11 years later, I'm 23, been finally diagnosed with ADHD, which gives me a much greater understanding of myself. I've also got a much better hold on my depression and anxiety. I work at a dog daycare and I'm trying to get my career in dog training started.

Both this place and U2 were honestly my solace and I've made some lasting friends along the way.

It's crazy reading some of your stories/summarizations of the past 10 years, I'm happy to read lots of good things!
Bonogirl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #40
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post

There have been a lot of struggles. I lost a 21-year-old sibling to suicide this year. That's... incredibly painful. My parents and remaining sibling are really torn up in a lot of ways, and it's tough to be around them, though I try to support them. The suicide is really hard to work through, and the financial situation doesn't help.
Holy cow man that's awful Sorry to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Believe it or not...I too, love cats. Our home has three permanent residents and we have fostered kittens until their adoption (a heartwarming and heartbreaking experience)

Glad to see you've accomplishment so much in your education! Awesome job!
Cats are pretty damn great. My best friend used to house foster kitties, I really admired them for doing that. Giving a kitten away that you've raised with love and care seems incredibly hard to me. I'm already so attached to my 4 month old ones, wouldn't be able to part anymore at all! I don't know how you do it, but it's great that there are people who care for the little ones!
__________________

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×