Isis - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2015, 11:57 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
From a homeland security perspective, they also pose way more of a threat to Americans at home than Al-Qaeda did post 9/11.

ISIS is not a threat to the U.S. homeland, their main objective is not attacking the U.S. Their main goal is to build a functioning state in Iraq and Syria and then expand. Al Qaeda wanted to attack the U.S., which is what made them dangerous to the homeland. ISIS does not want to expend the resources to attack the U.S., they instead devote their resources to building the caliphate in Iraq and Syria. Al Qaeda devoted its resources towards attacking the U.S., this is the main difference between ISIS and older terrorist groups. The main danger of ISIS to the West is the ideology inspiring lone wolves to attack.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

nbelcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:25 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Quote:
On a personal note, joining the fight with the Kurds has been something that's weighed heavy on my mind the past few months, especially as I see more and more veterans doing so. If it wasn't for school and my significant other, I'd already be there. It's still something I've been thinking about though.
From my understanding a lot of former American soldiers have joined the YPG/YPJ, but a high percentage end up deserting them because they paid no attention to the movement's politics (and how it conflicted with theirs). I got a pretty good laugh out of hearing about it, personally.

Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Quote:
Another point I'd like to make is that IS is way more of a conventional military force than Al-Qaeda ever was. I can't think of a time when foreign policy or social changes ever defeated a conventional force.
What are you talking about? "Foreign policy" ended almost every war in the last 500+ years, what do you think a peace treaty is? not to mention all the wars these things prevented from ever happening in the first place, which is kind of the preferable outcome isn't it?

Quote:
Not what I said. There would be absolutely no moral equivalency to military force against IS. When its warranted and justified, war =/= atrocities and crimes against humanity. I'm assuming you interpreted my bluntness as the ignorant "nuke em and let God sort em out" crap I hear rednecks spew. Not what I meant at all.
Well I concede I probably misread your post. I spent enough time in the military to know exactly what it means 90% of the time when soldiers bitch and moan about "restrictive ROEs". Usually it just means they want the ability to shoot anybody who looks at them sideways no questions asked. It's terrifying how many legitimate psychopaths and just borderline nutjobs there are in the army who would not only gleefully wipe out an entire town singlehandedly given the slightest reason, but actually try to provoke "the enemy" into giving them that reasoning.

Quote:
On a personal note, joining the fight with the Kurds has been something that's weighed heavy on my mind the past few months, especially as I see more and more veterans doing so. If it wasn't for school and my significant other, I'd already be there. It's still something I've been thinking about though.

I don't understand what the point of this would be at all. It would accomplish precisely nothing except probably cause you a whole lot of issues trying to come home. Honestly the idea of American civilians/vets going to "join the Kurds" sounds like simply chasing the combat high rather than altruism.
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:33 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:42 AM
We will probably have to win this in Proxy War fashion - funding supporting countries like Iraq, Turkey, and Jordan to win it. It must seem like a Muslim victory, even if the West pays the bill...

I don't think it's an accident that Jordan is all fired up now and ready kick arse...

AEON is offline   Reply With Quote