Is the US bankrupt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
at least mac is trying to put country first; the other is putting obama first.

<>

the only thing that's changed between today and two days ago is that mac's poll numbers are crashing and Palin's negatives are soaring.

it's a stunt, diamond, and you're silly to fall for it.

so says you..the word tranference comes to mind..
the only thing that's changed between today and two days ago is that mac's poll numbers are crashing and Palin's negatives are soaring.

it's a stunt, diamond, and you're silly to fall for it.

McCain's sure been putting his country first when he voted for deregulation for 26 years.

Everybody knows that's been his position.

Maybe he feels a great deal of shame. I don't think we should blame him for it.

so says you..the word tranference comes to mind..

133814728_ecf8e619f6.jpg

by and by after a little season, the question will be asked, where was sen o during the econmic pearl harbor of our day?

answer:

he was off campagining, championing his causes; not his country's.

a sad commentary.

<>

by and by after a little season, the question will be asked, where was sen o during the econmic pearl harbor of our day?

answer:

he was off campagining, championing his causes; not his country's.

a sad commentary.

<>

The McCain campaign’s new urgency about the financial crisis didn’t entirely clear his schedule this morning. My colleague Amie Parnes reports that he made it to his scheduled morning meeting with Lady Lynn de Rothschild, a Clinton backer who recently came out in support of him. All while Obama was waiting by the phone for a returned call.”

Ben Smith's Blog: A non-emergency meeting - Politico.com

it's a stunt, sweet pea. i'm sorry. :hug:

Chinese regulators have told domestic banks to stop interbank lending to U.S. financial institutions to prevent possible losses during the financial crisis, the South China Morning Post reported on Thursday.

The Hong Kong newspaper cited unidentified industry sources as saying the instruction from the China Banking Regulatory Commission (CBRC) applied to interbank lending of all currencies to U.S. banks but not to banks from other countries.

Wonderful news!! The Chinese government is openly denying it with some cockamamie story about how banks will determine whether to lend given the high risks.

Right.

I wonder if I should transfer some of my money into Canada, since I'm also a resident there now.

no. i imagine financeguy will have an opinion on this, and i really want to hear it... but the analysts that ive head on this side of the pond say is that the euro will do even better by comparison.

furthermore, the canadian economy and its version of the credit crunch is coming too. no question about it.

I did my part to help the economy. I just blew basically my entire check on clothes.:uhoh: I told myself I wouldn't, but I couldn't help myself. I wonder how many banks I could buy in our current financial market with the money I just spent.:hmm:

furthermore, the canadian economy and its version of the credit crunch is coming too. no question about it.

I don't suspect we will be affected as much. First of all, we didn't get into the subprime mortgage mess. Second, our capital is in commodities which is really helping us now. Third, our finance system really operates differently because we don't lock in capital (again, because of commodities).

The UK is really in a very bad position right now. Their $ is either in commodities (which they don't have) or in finance (which is tanking).

Canada's banks offer haven in turbulent sea

Vancouver Sun

Canadian financial institutions did not escape unscathed -- at last count, writedowns totalled $11 billion -- but the banking system remains sound.

Unlike the U.S. investment banks, Canadian banks are well capitalized, regulated and managed. Throughout the turbulence, the banks' core earnings remained intact and they continued to be able to raise sufficient financing to support their lending activities.

The so-called shadow banking system that collapsed so spectacularly south of the border, hasn't existed in Canada since the late 1980s when regulation changes allowed banks to buy securities dealers. That put commercial banks and investment banks under the umbrella of one financial group. It meant investment dealers were backstopped by a vast depositor base, whereas U.S. firms were leveraged to the hilt on funds borrowed from capital markets.

Canada's banks offer haven in turbulent sea

Canada's economic double whammy will come from (has already started coming from) the US recession and falling US dollar. Two thirds of our economy depends on US exports and relatively cheap Canadian dollar.

Canada's economic double whammy will come from (has already started coming from) the US recession and falling US dollar. Two thirds of our economy depends on US exports and relatively cheap Canadian dollar.

As anitram implied, a large portion of those exports and wealth are in commodities (as opposed to discretionary items). The demand for things like energy and food is relatively inelastic, even during a recession. There are always customers for natural resources around the world - I'm sure China would gladly accept more Canadian oil. I don't think any region of the world is immune from a global recession, but Canada will be a lot better off than most countries.

Our natural resources sector is primarily driven by oil and forestry.

Oil deals with China make for sticky politics with our neighbours and a halted contruction industry in the US has already shut down many of our mills which then affects the secondary support industries.

Our natural resources sector is primarily driven by oil and forestry.

If you look at our commodities index, while oil is #1, industrial materials are far ahead of forestry in terms of weighted proportions. Also, metals + food commodities = forestry output (lumber and pulp combined) so a slowdown in US housing and Canadian housing will hurt but it is by no means sufficient to deal a huge blow.

Oil deals with China make for sticky politics with our neighbours

I don't think Canadian oil exports to the US will suffer, especially since our #3 and #4 suppliers of oil (Mexico and Venezuela) are reducing oil exports due to aging fields and lack of exploration.

If you look at our commodities index, while oil is #1, industrial materials are far ahead of forestry in terms of weighted proportions. Also, metals + food commodities = forestry output (lumber and pulp combined) so a slowdown in US housing and Canadian housing will hurt but it is by no means sufficient to deal a huge blow.

Industrial materials includes forestry which is why its weighted proportion is high.

They comprise about 60%? The rest is metals and minerals and you still have food.

The question is also how much are new markets using lumber that may have compensatory effects. Interestingly a number of Eastern European countries have started experimenting with your typical north-American wood construction, and that's one market that you may look to for expansion because their domestic industries are still lagging.

The Canadian economy will take a hit, but I agree with ntalwar - we're nicely positioned to take a relatively small hit compared to the other leading economies.

I'm really interested in how things will shake down in the UK as time goes on.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, however this was given to me a few months back.
Because of it's content, I've sitten on it for a while.

It's very disconcerting and was posted originally in Nov of 2007.

I pray it doesn't happen, typos included:

Please Read Now !!! Sept 2008 Economic Crash, etc..........
Nov 2007................38 post, read 82,127 times

sh, etc... http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics ... nomic.html

Hi all, This might be the last thing I ever post on here but I need to warn you all. I have been with LAPD for a while and have learned alot of things. One of them is to be a little more independent. Don't put 100 % faith in other humans to take care of you. And yes that means the government 2. Well because things have gotten so bad in LA (Officers being shot at up 39 % in 2007) I decided to move to Idaho. And I love it by the way. Anyway what I'm going to say might shock you or even scare you, but please understand that fear does nothing but makes things worse kinda like stress. So instead of worrying do something to fix it. Remember there's no problems only solutions. This morning I got a call from my uncle who is very high up in the military and he told me to leave the city now. I hardly ever talk to him so he was unaware that I had already left LA. But he seemed very concerned but refused to tell me why. After about 20 minutes he told me the very basics. The first thing he said was to buy as much can food and water as possible. The second was to stock up on ammo. I have already stacked up on ammo because I knew it would become very expensive later and in LA there was a 1 year wait for .223 bullets for my AR15. But I was still very confused as to why he's calling out of the blue and telling me these things. Well what he said next is something the American people aren't suppose to know. He told me that there is an actual plan as to when the economy will completely crash. As of right now he said it will happen in the middle of Sept of this year(08). Also he said that our Government will crash in Feb of 2009. He said that Mexico and Canada will merge with us and that a new dollar called the Amero is going to replace the dollar. But the most scary thing is what he told me he's been doing for the past couple of years. He's been overseeing the construction of Prison Camps being built all through out America. He said a Private company called Haliburton is building them. He told me that 1 camp in Alaska can hold 2 million people and there's almost 1000 camps in the USA. ( not including the ones underground) He also said that these will be used when they declare Martial Law. There's some more things but I promised him I would never repeat them. But just knowing that this could even be possible makes me say to myself " why not buy an extra 20 or 30 bucks of food I can store" each time I go shopping. I had about 2 weeks worth because in California you never know when that next big earthquake can hit not to mention the last year and a half we have been training on how to handle food riots in LA.( By the way the first step in the LAPD process is to stand back and observe) <Crazy Huh. Well use common sense and get what you can because once everyone wakes up it will be to late. Last but not least why I believe him is because he is the same one that told me beforehand not to fly in Aug and Sept of 2001 Do I have to go on ? Take care everyone and GOD Bless !!!

^:lmao: I'm guessing this guy had "Jesus is coming back in the year 2000" painted on his front bumper and had a bomb shelter built in his back yard for when life as we knew it came to a screeching halt on January 1st of 2000. I hope they let him bring his tin foil hat into the padded room when he gets there. Btw, guys, my uncle told me that Mitt Romney is, in fact, a prototype of a robot that will soon be cloned to descend on the earth to feed on the souls of mankind. It's pretty serious.

Back
Top Bottom