Is Feminism Still Relevant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But think about where that all came from. And many women, particularly women in their 30s and 40s don't do this. Nor do most gay couples they walk down the aisle, hand in hand, together.

My husband and I walked down the aisle together. :)

Shockingly, it's the correct catechismal teaching of the Catholic Church that the couple walks in together and that nobody is "given away" and nobody is property.

But think about where that all came from.

Sent from

How far back should we go? I'm sure if we go back far enough, you're right, that women were nothing more than a means to carry on the genes. And if you were the alpha male - the other males were just fodder to protect your "harem."

How far back should we go? I'm sure if we go back far enough, you're right, that women were nothing more than a means to carry on the genes. And if you were the alpha male - the other males were just fodder to protect your "harem."

Good we've progressed, no?

Sent from

Shockingly, it's the correct catechismal teaching of the Catholic Church that the couple walks in together and that nobody is "given away" and nobody is property.
Yeah, I've only been to Catholic weddings and they're somewhat different from Protestant weddings as I've been led to understand them from television and film. They don't do the "you may kiss the bride" thing at most of them, for example.

Not really. If you go far enough back, you get to the place where people didn't understand yet how the male role in conception, and it seemed like women spontaneously conceived because of some sort of magic, or external phenomena like the wind or whatever. It's actually quite tough to determine whose genes a woman is carrying, and fairly recent in human history. If it was easy to identify a man's genetic offspring then a lot of our marriage traditions wouldn't exist. Interestingly, a lot of the oldest, most 'primitive' people groups still existing have much looser marriage and sexuality traditions, and are not as invested in the male line.

Back
Top Bottom