Interference FYM Mock U.S. General Presidential Election #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For President!

• Obama/Biden

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • McCain/Palin

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Nader/Gonzalez

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Barr/Root

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I suck and will not exercise my right to vote.

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are you actually going to vote for Barr?

If so, I fucking get on my knees and plead that you don't. It's throwing your vote away. You don't even have to vote for Obama. A vote for McCain at least would actually matter. A vote for Barr has as much value as a vote for my pet cat. Same for Nader.
So voting on principle is wrong now?

People should vote for whomever they want to vote.

If they want to write in Bugs Bunny that's fine by me too, they're throwing away their vote, not mine.

So voting on principle is wrong now?

I don't support it. It is an idealistic protest that has no function in reality except to enable some guy who is egotistical enough to run for president even when he knows he doesn't have snowball's chance in hell of winning to siphon off votes that could go to either of the other candidates. It skews the voting process.

There's only two people that can win, so you might as well vote for one of them.

I don't support it. It is an idealistic protest that has no function in reality except to enable some guy who is egotistical enough to run for president even when he knows he doesn't have snowball's chance in hell of winning to siphon off votes that could go to either of the other candidates. It skews the voting process.

There's only two people that can win, so you might as well vote for one of them.

why would someone in new york or massachusetts vote for john mccain?

If this election was Hitler (polling at 45%) vs. Stalin (polling at 45%) vs. Bob Barr (polling at 1%), I would not vote to Stalin because he is slightly closer to my viewpoints than Hitler. I would vote for Barr.

If this election was Hitler (polling at 45%) vs. Stalin (polling at 45%) vs. Bob Barr (polling at 1%), I would not vote to Stalin because he is slightly closer to my viewpoints than Hitler. I would vote for Barr.

Except that in a democracy Hitler and Stalin wouldn't get past the primaries :wink:

Except that in a democracy Hitler and Stalin wouldn't get past the primaries :wink:

You're forgetting that Hitler was democratically elected, and Stalin ran the U.S.S.R. mainly because of a massive, quasi-democratic (not through official means) demand for Marxism in Russia. Democracy is not as great as it is made out to be. Democracy leads to leaders doing whatever will get them elected, not what is right. Democracy allows leaders to be bought out so they can be re-elected. Democracy allows money to run the country, and fries the free press, replacing it with the corporate press mess that we have today. Democracy has a tendency to be a great enemy of liberty, which is why I cannot stand the 17th amendment.

Then why not just abolish third parties?

I think your view is contemptuously illiberal, an obligation to vote for the lesser evil is not a good thing, I would rather enjoy freedom and a clear conscience than be forced to choose between expansionist statist candidates.

Because we are constantly being told on FYM that all US libertarians are right-wing, tax-cutting, selfish, f**k the poor types.

I have always suspected that that is incorrect, and your post vindicates my intuition.

Because we are constantly being told on FYM that all US libertarians are right-wing, tax-cutting, selfish, f**k the poor types.

I have always suspected that that is incorrect, and your post vindicates my intuition.

In general, I think U.S. libertarians are much more compassionate than they're portrayed. They're not Ayn Rand.

i doubt it. libertarian capitalism is not my bag. :wink:

Maybe it is outside the scope of this thread, but I would be interested as to how you would propose to reconcile implementing a libertarian programme whilst also outlawing capitalism, which in my view is really just the name left-wingers sometimes give to the desire of ordinary people to improve their lives. Possibly, you would define capitalism in a different way.:wink:

Maybe it is outside the scope of this thread, but I would be interested as to how you would propose to reconcile implementing a libertarian programme whilst also outlawing capitalism, which in my view is really just the name left-wingers sometimes give to the desire of ordinary people to improve their lives. Possibly, you would define capitalism in a different way.

it's certainly outside the scope of this thread.

Well, if you don't engage and explain your arguments, it isn't very likely that they will gain influence.:sexywink:

you'll be happy to know that i'm not very optimistic that they will gain influence regardless. :sexywink:

Why would I be happy to know such a thing?

Oh no hold on. I want to crush the workers heads' under the capitalist boot.

That's what you think, Seven, isn't it?

Crushing the workers' heads under the capitalist boot isn't exactly good for capitalism, anyway, at least under ideal circumstances. China's another story, for the time being.

Can we have a truly anonymous poll here in the US and find out how many of those damn Nader voters from last time have a "clear conscience"?

This is why we need some sort of an instant-runoff system.

Can we have a truly anonymous poll here in the US and find out how many of those damn Nader voters from last time have a "clear conscience"?

I am not a Nader fan, the man has always struck me as entirely self-serving, but I think it's time to get over it.

You surely don't think that those damn Nader voters voted the way they did purely to mess up Gore's chances.

I am not a Nader fan, the man has always struck me as entirely self-serving, but I think it's time to get over it.

You surely don't think that those damn Nader voters voted the way they did purely to mess up Gore's chances.

What's more is that Gore couldn't/didn't win his own state. Now it is true that TN has changed a lot since his father was a politician and since Gore lived there full time. But still, he lost by the slimmest margin, if one. This could have been avoided.

It's utterly moronic to give a candidate 25 EVs if for a plurality of the votes when, if second-choices were counted (not to mention if the election had been done in an ethical manner in the first place), the other major candidate would have a majority of the votes.

Agreed. If you want to blame someone for 2000, blame the media for portraying Gore as a boring man without passion. Blame the people who voted on personality not who would be best for the country. Blame the people too dumb to see how good the country was under Clinton.

Back
Top Bottom