Interesting Science Video Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This one's an 'interesting animal behavior video.' Apparently filmed by a family living somewhere in Russia, it shows a hooded crow 'sledding' down a nearby roof in an old jar lid it found. One of the commenters, who also seems to be from Russia, claims that these birds are often seen there sliding down roofs on their bellies, like this one but minus the 'sled.'

Crow Sledding on Rooftops in a Jar Lid

Saw this on Andrew Sullivan's blog. Via David Attenborough, a rare example of interspecies cooperation between humans (the Boran of East Africa) and a wild animal (the Greater Honeyguide)--humans love honey and are good at stealing it but bad at finding it, honeyguides love bee larvae and beeswax and excel at finding them but suck at stealing them, so over many centuries a cooperative approach has developed, with each party employing vocal and nonvocal signals reserved strictly for communicating with the other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN5igku_kGk

Last edited:
^ that would be great for sneaking out at night/if you're grounded

Saw this on Andrew Sullivan's blog. Via David Attenborough, a rare example of interspecies cooperation between humans (the Boran of East Africa) and a wild animal (the Greater Honeyguide)--humans love honey and are good at stealing it but bad at finding it, honeyguides love bee larvae and beeswax and excel at finding them but suck at stealing them, so over many centuries a cooperative approach has developed, with each party employing vocal and nonvocal signals reserved strictly for communicating with the other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN5igku_kGk

So awesome. DA's stuff is so fascinating.

The first few sentences made me vomit. Intelligent Design is NOT science. It's repackaged creationism. There is no scientific method involved. It's lazy gap filling. That shite shouldn't be on 'The Science Channel'

this thread needs a :bump: anyway! :D

:wave:
THANKS, JiveT, yolland, reggo & deep for fascinating stuff!

without Net at home for now when I get on the computer I don't always have time to get to everything I want to....and over time I forget about this thread.

That structure sitting on the dandelion! The amazing honey bird and the African in millennia co-operation!

:hmm: Obviously the Man would teach the child but does the bird teach the fledgling
OR because of such incredibly long time for this interaction does the call become genetically hard-wired in the birds so they are now born with the right knowledge/instinct?

We HAD a Holography Museum here in NYC. Closed in ? early 90's :(

Squidbot!! :cute: How interesting using various air chambers for motion!

The fly around the Earth...woah, that's so beautiful!

I wish it went about 15 + % slower... I recognized a lot but not all of the land masses.
And it seems that some vids are closer in than others?

Seems like one you see almost all the Great Lakes in almost pone frame, but in others they seem to go by (and not all of them) you don't seem them all b/c they are closer?

Seeing the 1> Aurora Borealis approach/in the distance/ and the AB Oval!
ALso the thunderheads lighting up at night!
mesmerizing stuff!

thanks again.
I think I saw the Nile River all lit up. :love: wow

AND I forgot about THIS "little" critter! :lol: :ohmy:

Not a video, but I don't know where else to put this

Weta insect: Heaviest in the world weighs 3 times more than a mouse | Mail Online

article-2068547-0F02AA4600000578-402_634x436.jpg

article-2068547-0F02AA4A00000578-492_634x370.jpg

It's so cute!
:ohmy::ohmy:
really kinda creepy at first ( thinking :uhoh: :yikes: Locusts here!)

but it's sorta getting cuter ... as look at it more. :lmao:

and oh yeah,
see, I thought at first it was a actually a model made for a SF?Horror film!

because I didn't know the name weta as a local insect name; and WETA is a Movie CGI company (they made the call-out ads for cgi people back when they started working on LOTR films)!

Wow. Hard to believe that video existed for so long with no one seeing it. I can just barely remember that happening.
Apparently the smaller smoke trail near the bottom was the crew capsule (old news, but just saying).
I'm not sure why, but I've always found the idea of the thrusters circling around uncontrollably that high above the Earth to be disturbing

What's the story there? Also, "wolves are glad to see that woman" makes me laugh

Brings Jurassic Park chills down my spine. I wish they could find a Dinosaur in that quality but that would have to be one LONG ice age to do that.

:ohmy: wow look at that woolly mammoth!

i remember seeing something that some WM's survived longer ... they in an ? island area that was south eastern from usual haunts, and over time they became diminished in size. maybe as climate got warmer...

i am a spiritual person and Science :hyper: is Awesome too.

Back
Top Bottom