Interesting Science Video Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

That's it.

NASA - NASA-Funded Research Discovers Life Built With Toxic Chemical

Researchers conducting tests in the harsh environment of Mono Lake in California have discovered the first known microorganism on Earth able to thrive and reproduce using the toxic chemical arsenic. The microorganism substitutes arsenic for phosphorus in its cell components.

"We know that some microbes can breathe arsenic, but what we've found is a microbe doing something new -- building parts of itself out of arsenic," said Felisa Wolfe-Simon, a NASA Astrobiology Research Fellow in residence at the U.S. Geological Survey in Menlo Park, Calif., and the research team's lead scientist. "If something here on Earth can do something so unexpected, what else can life do that we haven't seen yet?"

The title may be a bit misleading. This is just electrolysis.
YouTube - Science experiment:Homemade hydrogen fuel

We tried it once back in school. Used a 12V power source and also kept container covered for about 15 minutes. And with an elaborate mechanism to drop a piece of burning paper into it, we achieved a pretty decent explosion.

My brother and I used to do that growing up. Lots of fun. Amazingly, neither of us ever got hurt.

I found a toy rocket kit that uses electrolyzed water (obviously hydrogen) as its fuel. I should dig that out and try it.

^ Yeah, great fun. The hardest part was to learn the art of taking out those pencil leads:lol:. coz here we use pens right from kindergarten.

My cousin had one of those toy rockets. But it was not that simple. It required citric acid crystals for the hydrogen generator to work and the electronics in the ignition system were pretty complex.

^ Yeah, great fun. The hardest part was to learn the art of taking out those pencil leads:lol:. coz here we use pens right from kindergarten.

I think it's funny that my mom never questioned how many big, 12V lantern batteries we went through. If we could have gotten a car battery we would have, but then we'd have been exposed. :lol:

This one isn't a 'video,' rather a collection of live streaming webcams from various wildlife parks in South Africa. The site itself is puzzlingly bereft of info on who's behind it so far as I can tell, but from Googling around, I gather it started out as a privately funded initiative aimed at deterring rhino poachers, and has since evolved into something more than that. As with most things like this, the chances you'll see much at any given time are low, but by checking back regularly, our kids for example have seen lion(esse)s, zebras, wildebeest, and warthogs visiting the waterholes.

Africam

It won't get much national publicity and not many people will even notice, but there were at least four tornadoes in Massachusetts yesterday. Hardest hit was Springfield, in western MA. Four people dead so far, and the destruction is horrible.

The tornado seen over the Connecticut River in Springfield. Looks like CGI from a movie.

YouTube - ‪Tornado forming over Connecticut River‬‏

Man that's amazing. I love this shit. An astronomer is the first thing I wanted to be when I was a kid, like 5, 6 even. I'm gonna put that site in my favourites, thanks man :up:

MrsSpringsteen, I somehow missed your video when you posted it. I started watching, then had to switch to 1080p and watch it full screen. Amazing! I wish it were longer. That last shot with the Earth and moon is unlike anything I've ever seen

Amazing. This is now my background:

Screenshot2011-09-04at40108PM.png
[/IMG]

So eerie

mars15.jpg

I realize these are all about 6 years old, but I hadnt seen many of them before

Re-posted this here on Jive Turkey's suggestion...

Check out this awesome video shot last week from the International Space Station by Ron Garan. Actually not a video, but a time lapse of HD photos of the earth from the ISS (Europe to the Indian Ocean) with Peter Gabriel providing the sounds. It is a clip of a bigger project to come.

Here is the link to his Fragile Oasis site (formed to bring the perspective of outer space to the fragile nature of the planet). Check it out....

http://www.fragileoasis.org/

and the "video"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xqaLpXM-c0

Enjoy.

If you are on Twitter, the same astronaut who did this "video" (and founder of Fragile Oasis) posts awesome HD photos from the ISS almost every day. Check out yesterday's nightime photo of the Italian "boot" when you do. He's been up there since April, so you'll find photos of just about every part of the earth (including hurricanes, volcanos, sunrises, moonrises, spacewalks, etc.) Also, on a U2 note, he's the same astronaut who gave U2 their full tour of NASA when they came through Houston.

Twitter: @Astro_Ron

NASA has released footage shot from space during the September 11 attacks on New York's World Trade Center.

On the morning of the attack, American Frank Culbertson was aboard the International Space Station with two Russian cosmonauts. As they orbited the earth, they passed over New York City and captured heartrending video of a massive smoke plume issuing from downtown Manhattan.

Culbertson, who recently sat down with NASA for an interview to commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11, can still recall his initial reaction to the news. He said he had been reading a Tom Clancy novel at the time, and he felt as if he had been sucked into the book. "But as we listened, and events were described to us by our flight surgeon and then by the capcoms, it became very real," Culbertson noted. "Once I saw it out the window, we took video as the second tower was collapsing. I didn't know exactly what was happening, but I knew it was really bad because there was a big cloud of debris covering Manhattan. That's when it really became painful because it was like seeing a wound in the side of your country."

"The smoke seemed to have an odd bloom to it at the base of the column that was streaming south of the city," Culbertson described the sight, according to a NASA press release.

Not long after witnessing the plume from the attack, Culbertson had this to say, per NASA:

It's horrible to see smoke pouring from wounds in your own country from such a fantastic vantage point. The dichotomy of being on a spacecraft dedicated to improving life on the earth and watching life being destroyed by such willful, terrible acts is jolting to the psyche, no matter who you are.

Sept. 11, 2001 Video From ISS - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom