I'm glad Roman Polanski finally got caught!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
both, and by doing so illustrating how defending Polanski in any degree would be wrong.

most ppl got it.

<>

I do wonder if the justice system would have went through the same trouble decades later if this had not involved a celebrity
it should have, but still

On the other hand, maybe Polanski thought he could skate justice because of his celebrity.

I think this will send all pedophiles celebrity or not a very clear message.

<>

So if a man rapes a mentally retarded person with an IQ of 3 yr old, the rapist gets an easier sentence or does it depend on how intelligent the person is to merit what type of prosecution and penalty society should pursue?

Let us know.

<>

What the hell? Where did I ever suggest that the prosecution and sentence/penalty should depend on the woman's intelligence? I resent the hell out of you implying that I would ever deem the rape of a retarded person or of anyone to be ok. I never defended what he did. Never. I never said he didn't deserve what he gets. I just said that I don't think the U.S. is doing this for the right reasons. That's it.

I think this will send all pedophiles celebrity or not a very clear message.
It's not at all the case that everyone who's committed a statutory rape is a pedophile; I'd be wary of conflating those concepts so lightly.
I just said that I don't think the U.S. is doing this for the right reasons. That's it.
This would be a better argument if there were a case to be made that his trial and conviction had involved some demonstrable miscarriage of justice. Or if there were grounds for using him as an illustration of some systematic inequality, where people from some identifiable group he belongs to are routinely harshly punished for this particular crime, compared to members of other groups who routinely get only a wrist-slap for it. But it doesn't seem like either of those is the case.

I assume the reason why so many states and municipalities require rape charges to proceed to trial, even when the victim wishes to drop them, is because this is a crime type where victims so often decide to drop charges out of shame or fear, thus leaving the offender free to go out and victimize others again and again. Obviously you're going to have individual cases where a rapist doesn't proceed to do that, but that's not a sound argument for allowing the justice system to make exceptions in how it applies the law.

It may or may not be true that there are (morally, not legally, speaking) certain less-than-worthy motivations playing some role from law enforcement's end here, but even if that's the case, I can't see where that would justify actively protesting their actions--because at that point you inevitably would be actively seeking to protect him, and thus implying he doesn't deserve any tangible punishment. Cynically put, when it comes down to it, one more reason not to Do Bad Things is because if you do and get caught, you'll only be handing people who might well have ethically questionable designs against you all the ammo they need to put you right where they want you. As well as putting people who might otherwise have been sympathetic to you in a position where they'd have to endorse your getting a free pass, one they (hopefully) would never seek for themselves or others, in order to help you out.

Once again, for those who seem to be missing this point, a CRIME is committed against the people, aka the state, and that is why it is the people, aka the state, that prosecutes it. The wishes of the victim have nothing to do with whether a crime is or should be prosecuted. The notion that you think that it shouldn't be that way is fine and dandy but it is NOT how the law works, and therefore totally irrelevant.

If the law worked this way, then the very wealthy could pay victims to go away, we'd have a very low prosecution rate for domestic violence issues, many rapes and other stigma crimes would go unprosecuted and so on. It simply is not workable.

And it also works both ways. The process of law determines what happens. So on the one hand, the charge isn't dropped because a victim may wish it so; nor is the accused lined up and eaten by dogs or (insert cruel and unusual punishment of choice here) because the victim and others may wish it so. The law ain't perfect but it sure beats the alternatives.

I can't believe this thread is still going. The man's a celebrity (sort of), some Hollywood types say stupid things sometimes, elements of the Right think there is a morality fable to be told about libruls or something, they are largely wrong... that about cover it? Gang?

It's not at all the case that everyone who's committed a statutory rape is a pedophile; I'd be wary of conflating those concepts so lightly.

My point was, whether the crime be rape, statutory or not that busting a celebrity 30 yrs later, that all rapists may think twice about even comitting the crime.

In short, no one is above the law.

<>

I am amazed at how many people outside of FYM, have an opinion, based on the soundbites....verses the facts.

For example, the man confessed!!! Most people I hear are saying, its about time he was put on trial, or why would the woman want to go through a court case at this stage of her life....

It scares me...

I can't believe this thread is still going. The man's a celebrity (sort of), some Hollywood types say stupid things sometimes, elements of the Right think there is a morality fable to be told about libruls or something, they are largely wrong... that about cover it? Gang?

You forgot all the Mormon stuff.

you forgot about the lecherous, morally bankrupt, godless, treacherous surrender monkeys who think they're smarter than us -- aka, The French.

gotta smear some of them with child rape.

I could as easily say, any Conservative who hasn't come out to publically condemn this thing is indifferent to child rape. Yes, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

I am amazed at how many people outside of FYM, have an opinion, based on the soundbites....verses the facts.

For example, the man confessed!!!

More like he admitted when confronted-an accusation was made and he admitted to it.

There's a difference between that scenario and a full and free confession.

And not to gloss over the facts, after admitting what he did he fled and became a fugitive.

Now with that context, justice should be served and that's all that the people want.

No more excuses or special treatment due to social status.

<>

I could as easily say, any Conservative who hasn't come out to publically condemn this thing is indifferent to child rape. Yes, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

However, proportionately speaking conservatives have have been right on this issue and the left have been uncomfortable in addressing this issue as much as the conservatives, as a whole- which is the point. .

<>

I think maybe it is a left/right issue to an extent.

When was the last time a liberal was heard to defend Lynyrd Sknyrd?

When was the last time a liberal was heard to use the 'artistic expression, man' defense in absolving them of charges of hagiographing a racist past with their song 'Sweet Home Alabama'?

Watergate does not bother me/
does your conscience bother you/
Now tell the truth...

When was the last time a liberal was heard to use the 'artistic expression, man' defense in absolving them of charges of hagiographing a racist past with their song 'Sweet Home Alabama'?

I don't think this says anything about left or right. It tells you something about artists and the like perhaps, but nothing about the general left/right leaning public. Which I am going to predict is by and large solidly in favour of extraditing Polanski.

However, proportionately speaking conservatives have have been right on this issue and the left have been uncomfortable in addressing this issue as much as the conservatives, as a whole- which is the point. .

<>

So, this big, conspirative left didn't condemn what he did while the big, conspirative right obviously is appalled and in disgust. Sure enough.

So, this big, conspirative left didn't condemn what he did while the big, conspirative right obviously is appalled and in disgust. Sure enough.

Never said that but only pointed out the tepid response of many more on the Left vs then those on the Right.
:hug:

<>

you really need to start seeing individuals for who they are, not how they vote.

I can make my own observations and draw my own conclusions like all reasonable people.

:hug:

<>

Wait, do I need to burn my Lynyrd Skynyrd mp3s now!? :ohmy:
(Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama)

Back
Top Bottom