Illinois & California set sights on the Dream Act.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dfit00

War Child
In a move to help the children of undocumented residents in Illinois afford college, the House on Monday sent Gov. Pat Quinn the Illinois DREAM Act.

The measure, which passed the House 61-53, would create a fund established through private donations and managed by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission to provide financial assistance to undocumented students in Illinois. The bill would also allow families of the students to participate in the state's two college tuition savings programs.

The bill, which passed the Senate earlier this month, also contains provisions to train high school counselors to help undocumented students find ways to pay for their education.

Sponsoring Rep. Edward Acevedo, D-Chicago, assured his colleagues that the legislation will not cost the state a dime.

"The Illinois Dream Act would be funded entirely, entirely with private contributions, and would cost taxpayers nothing," Acevedo said during debate on the legislation.

Quinn released a statement following passage of the measure saying he will sign it.

“I believe everyone has the right to a first-class education, and the Illinois DREAM Act strengthens Illinois’ commitment to ensuring education for all," Quinn said. "The legislation allows private funding to be used to help students pay for higher education and to train high school counselors to assist undocumented children forward their educational careers.”

Lawmakers send Illinois Dream Act bill to Quinn - chicagotribune.com

California State Assembly committee passes part of state DREAM Act - The Daily Californian

How about an act to help normal people afford college? It seems like over the past few years almost every demographic has gotten some "break" except for normal hard working middle class people...

Why do American legislative bills all have to have catchy names, based, I can only assume on some convoluted acronym.
don't really eat alaskan mushrooms
don't really ever acknowledge macedonia
democrats reelect everyone's awful memories
don rickles ends america's miscarriages

How about an act to help normal people afford college? It seems like over the past few years almost every demographic has gotten some "break" except for normal hard working middle class people...
i know what you mean. the income thresholds are comically low, too. i'm glad that those in extreme poverty get a chance at an education, but it should be about equality. all classes should have access to education.

I should clarify, I did not mean to say I disagree with the act or disagree with helping make college possible for that demographic, I just think that the cost of education is out of control (and competition for grants and scholarships is insane) not just for those who are impoverished or undocumented.

Illegal aliens can't go to college due to their immigration status and this act gives some help by providing them legal residency status, the opportunity to go to college, and some financial aid. US citizens have everything available to them given if the high school student has what it takes to be admitted to his/her preferred college and to receive funding; while illegal and some legal immigrants may have the same credentials (or even better) as the native, US-born kid, they receive no opportunity to go to college and no financial aid only because of their immigration status.

The issue in here is not about giving preference to different ethnic groups, it is about the US government putting a barrier to bright and capable minds that will not be able to do their valuable and needed work in the long run.

Dream Act Becomes Law in California
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SACRAMENTO (AP) — Illegal immigrants can now apply for state-financed scholarships and aid at state universities after Gov. Jerry Brown announced Saturday that he had signed the second half of a legislative package focused on such students.

The bill is the second half of the California Dream Act. Mr. Brown signed the first half of the package in July, which approved private scholarships and loans for students who are illegal immigrants.

Under current law, illegal immigrant students who have graduated from a California high school and can prove they are on the path to legalize their immigration status can pay resident tuition rates. The bill would allow these students to also apply for state aid.

The contentious second half of the package requires that immigrant students meet the same requirements as all other students applying for financial aid at state universities but specifies that they qualify for financial aid only after all the other legal residents have applied.

Critics say it undermines immigration laws and encourages illegal immigration.

The bill is different from the federal Dream Act, which includes a path to citizenship for the children of illegal immigrants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/u...uition-aid-for-illegal-immigrants.html?ref=us

Why do American legislative bills all have to have catchy names, based, I can only assume on some convoluted acronym.
Optics.

They're not healthcare review boards, they're death panels.

It's not the Affordable Care Act, it's Obamacare.

Republicans get optics and selling ideas to their pitchfork-weilding base, Democrats get walked all over.

Optics.

They're not healthcare review boards, they're death panels.

It's not the Affordable Care Act, it's Obamacare.

Republicans get optics and selling ideas to their pitchfork-weilding base, Democrats get walked all over.

That's the theory anyway. That Democrats only lose elections when Republicans successfully employ fraud, wedge-issues or deceitful political rhetoric on a gullible American electorate.

It's delusional and self-defeating but hey, a theory nevertheless.

That's the theory anyway. That Democrats only lose elections when Republicans successfully employ fraud, wedge-issues or deceitful political rhetoric on a gullible American electorate.
I don't believe any of that :huh:

Both parties engage in extensive behind-the-scenes get out the vote / make voting harder / redistricting stuff. It's an accepted part of US politics. But I was not referring to any of that with my post.

I was referring to optics and debate-framing, though, which the GOP is much more adept at.

Just wondering where in the US Constitution the president is granted the authority to make law independent of the legislature when he deems it necessary?

Or where he is granted the authority to redefine U.S. citizenship with regard to who may, or may not, reside here legally.

Anyone?

Just wondering where in the US Constitution the president is granted the authority to make law independent of the legislature when he deems it necessary?

Or where he is granted the authority to redefine U.S. citizenship with regard to who may, or may not, reside here legally.

Anyone?

Did he say any of that today?

Even some of the right wing AM radio wackos are agreeing with Obama today and saying that Republicans should have done this awhile ago.

No problem really with what's being done. I simply have a problem with the way it was done.

INDY500 said:

Anyone?

It's an Executive Order changing how the Justice Department will enforce current immigration law. Questionably constitutional? Yeah, it is. I can't say that this method was very good, even though the policy itself is, for me, one of Obama's absolute high points. Ironically, Obama is following George W. Bush's legacy. Bush was a speculator abuser of the Executive Order. The left hated him for it, and I don't expect the left to have the same reaction to this, but it really isn't much different. It's still difficult for me, though, because I completely agree with the policy and I wish that the DREAM Act has been passed.

Last year:
Obama Tells La Raza He Can't Change Laws 'On His Own' (And Then Does) - YouTube

This year:

obama-emperor.jpg

The picture made me laugh.

And then there's this: Fox News Watch: White House Leaked Friday's Immigration Announcement to NYT and Time Magazine | NewsBusters.org

Days before President Obama proclaimed a new Justice Department edict concerning the deportation of young illegal immigrants, both the New York Times and Time magazine ran huge stories on Hispanics in America.

Time%20613.jpg

Courtesy of the NY Times and Time magazine we now know what the administration's Forward "Leak of the Week" was last week.

you do realize you have made your mind available to a subtle brain washing by the Obama collaborators

to be fair your should probably read the new Romney autobiography, Faith of our Founding Fathers, Why America Can be Great Again

you do realize you have made your mind available to a subtle brain washing by the Obama collaborators

yes, exactly. i told my elite liberal gay multiracial media friends to write that article precisely so we could all have a laugh about the fools who believed the lies we wrote. we clinked glasses of obscure organic wine while paying a bunch of Salvadorians we recruited from the 7-11 on Mt Pleasant and Kenyon $10 an hour to lay down Brazilian walnut flooring in the guest bedroom.

^My wife and I laughed until we cried reading your last post,.Irvine. It's even funnier when you read it outloud!

whatever. Mitt obviously did the same thing, hiring illegal ghost writers even though he's running for office.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom