If you have kids, will you give them the H1N1 Vaccine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H1N1 vaccine

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Also on the fence. Mine are not in a high risk group and the current strain is mild so the only point would be to contain the spread to perhaps avoid mutation. I don't know if wide-spread infection actually has anything to do with the probability of the virus mutating soooo....:shrug:

I thought it was interesting that Dr. Oz will not be giving this vaccine to his own kids.

I know, I know...but I like Dr. Oz. :reject:

i'm on the fence too. i trust my pediatrician, so i'm pretty much going to go with what she says.

I don't have kids but I heard on the news somewhere that it allegedly contains one of the same preservatives that is suspected (by some people) to be a factor in autism. Is that true?

*If* I had kids and it was recommended for them, I'd have them get it. I may get it myself. Phil should probably get it since he's a teacher and subbing in different schools each day.

Someone told me the strain being "mild" does not refer to the symptoms/severity of the flu itself, but how many people have had it compared to other historic flu outbreaks?

I think it's important to consider community health as a whole. What may be "mild" for me could potentially kill someone older, younger, or with a compromised immune system. I think vaccines are about protecting the community and not spreading the virus more than they are about protecting myself if the symptoms are too "severe" for my own comfort.

We did not eradicate small pox, polio, etc b/c only a select few at high risk chose to get vaccinated.

^ well im sure not gonna take some vaccine thats not fully tested with unknown ingredients and unknown side effects just becuase someone else might get sick.

i don't have kids, but i'd just go with whatever was recommended. though i already caught swine flu so i probably would've had them get the vaccine when i found out i had it.

it's not that bad, really. i've only had regular flu once when i was a little kid (and i remember that was pretty bad), and this is much less of a big deal. and the swine flu turned into pneumonia! i'm okay though, it's almost gone now so for the most part i'm fine. all i've really got left in terms of symptoms are a sore throat and just general tiredness.

pneumonia! is very serious, flu usually does not lead to that.

if you ignored it and tried to just tough it out, let's say you had to work, like some people do, you may have had a much rougher time of it.
I am glad you are doing better. Are you now immune to H1N1?

yeah, i was surprised too.

yeah, for once i'm thankful i'm unemployed as i've been able to just sit on my ass all day and recuperate. :lol:

thanks :) i'm not sure actually, i've got another appointment with my doctor next week, i'll ask then. :hmm:

I think it's important to consider community health as a whole. What may be "mild" for me could potentially kill someone older, younger, or with a compromised immune system. I think vaccines are about protecting the community and not spreading the virus more than they are about protecting myself if the symptoms are too "severe" for my own comfort.

I generally agree with this approach. My concern is that this particular vaccine may be a higher health risk for my children than the virus is in the community and frankly, my children come first for me.

I generally agree with this approach. My concern is that this particular vaccine may be a higher health risk for my children than the virus is in the community and frankly, my children come first for me.

i remember there was a Law & Order episode that took on this subject. probably one of the best hours of TV i've seen in a while.

I don't have kids, but I know quite a few people who are very leery of the vaccine because they can't find enough definitive information about the ingredients and side effects.

I thought it was interesting that Dr. Oz will not be giving this vaccine to his own kids.

I know, I know...but I like Dr. Oz. :reject:

Interesting. Did he give a reason for this decision? I'm curious. :reject:

I heard on the news somewhere that it allegedly contains one of the same preservatives that is suspected (by some people) to be a factor in autism. Is that true?

I don't know, but I can see where this would be a great concern for parents who specifically elect the flu vaccine without that particular preservative (sorry I don't remember the name of it).

My concern is that this particular vaccine may be a higher health risk for my children than the virus is in the community and frankly, my children come first for me.

This is a legitimate concern and I'm sure others feel that way too. The ramifications of H1N1 is frightening but so is the vaccine.

I have to say I am undecided at the moment....I do get my kids the flu shot every year. My 13 year old had the flu twice last year once in January and once in May. I am a little worried about side affects.:|

I don't have kids but I heard on the news somewhere that it allegedly contains one of the same preservatives that is suspected (by some people) to be a factor in autism. Is that true?

While it is true that it contains a trace amount of thimerosal (and I mean a TRACE amount), it is however NOT true that it causes autism.

I know that's another topic for another thread, but it ticks me off whenever I see mention of autism and vaccines in the same post. Nothing in vaccines causes autism and never has, the end.

What are the "ramifications" of this vaccine? I haven't really kept up on it. Has anyone had any severe adverse reactions caused by the vaccine? Most of the people I talked to at work are getting it b/c they have little kids and/or spouses who work in health care (one guy has a 7 month old and his wife is a nurse so he said he's absolutely getting it). I may get it if I can afford it. I've been sick for two weeks and don't really care to be sick again this season. Too bad they can't make a seasonal flu + H1N1 vaccine combo.

My son has asthma, so yes. Last year was the first year in forever that the whole family skipped getting our flu shots. My son got the flu and so did I. :reject: Not going to risk that again. It was not fun. And by not fun, I mean after coughing I felt like I could not breathe. Can't imagine how bad I would have felt if I had gotten pneumonia. :|

Interesting. Did he give a reason for this decision? I'm curious. :reject:

Mrs. Oz. Ha, yeah, nice dodge. He emphasized his duty as a health practitioner to get one himself (he already had) and repeated several times that those who are vulnerable, particularly babies under 2 and pregnant women should get it.

frequent hand washing and carrying around and using a bottle of purell will knock out any flu. if we're trying to help the community here, we need to be cleaner people, we don't necessarily have to load our body with vaccinations.

some people still don't wash their hands before they eat, or after going potty, or don't cover their mouth when coughing or sneezing, yet they wanna get vaccinated? that's ridic.

What was it like for communities health-wise before the days of vaccines? How does that compare to now? That pretty much answers the question for me. Are there risks? I’m sure there are. But the same people who won’t get vaccines seem to have no problem getting in their cars and driving down the street—another activity with known risks. You weigh the relative risks, make the best choice you can, and leave the rest to God (or fate or chance or whatever it is you believe in).

I am concerned about side effects. But on the other hand, my little one is 2 years old and she suffers when she gets a cold! I can't give her anything to help her symptoms.
She's never had the flu and I shudder to think how she'd suffer if she got it. She gets the regular flu shot each year. This is just another preventative vaccine. If its recommended by her pediatrician, I'm going for it.

frequent hand washing and carrying around and using a bottle of purell will knock out any flu. if we're trying to help the community here, we need to be cleaner people, we don't necessarily have to load our body with vaccinations.

some people still don't wash their hands before they eat, or after going potty, or don't cover their mouth when coughing or sneezing, yet they wanna get vaccinated? that's ridic.
agreed. i'm not criticizing anyone here or anything, but i know so many people who don't do any of these precautionary measures. washing your hands is one of the easiest things to do and so many people either don't or just run their hands under water (water doesn't disinfect, people). any time i'm out i see people just coughing and sneezing into the air with no attempt made to mask their mouth. i know sometimes a sneeze or cough can sneak up on you so you can't cover your mouth beforehand, but i'm talking people who make no attempt whatsoever. it's disgusting.

in this part of the country, everyone has sinus problems, even those who don't elsewhere. sinus infections and the like are pretty common here. luckily those aren't contagious, but there's still the gross factor when someone's sniffling and sneezing, plus there's always the chance they might have something worse.

Back
Top Bottom