If you have kids, will you give them the H1N1 Vaccine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H1N1 vaccine

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My H1N1 avoidance plan is to become a hermit for the next several months.

I've been sick for 3 weeks

my weight has dropped from 171
to 160.

I don't think it is H1N1, I will get the vaccine when it becomes available.

Wall St. Before Main St. for H1N1 Vaccine?

Reports That CDC Set Aside Vaccine for Businesses Has Some Crying Foul
By RADHA CHITALE
ABC News Medical Unit

Nov. 5, 2009—

Despite long lines at health clinics around the country prompted by widespead shortages of the vaccine for H1N1, some on Wall Street may have made their way to the front of the line, a public health watchdog group charged Thursday.

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) has demanded an investigation into why the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention approved small amounts of H1N1 vaccine for distribution at 13 companies including Goldman Sachs, Citigroup and JP Morgan Chase.

CREW executive director Melanie Sloan wrote a letter to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. "Although CREW has been unable to uncover the demographic makeup of [these companies], surely it is safe to assume the vast majority of their employees are not pregnant women and children, young adults up to 24 years old, and healthcare workers," Sloan wrote. "Under these circumstances, it is the height of irresponsibility for the CDC to approve distribution of the vaccine to anywhere other than where it is most likely to be provided to those at the greatest risk."

But in a statement, Goldman Sachs said they intend to follow the CDC's vaccine guidelines. "It is important to understand that the Department of Health decides in its sole discretion who receives H1N1 vaccines -- both the amount and timing. Goldman Sachs, like other responsible employers, has requested vaccine and will supply it only to employees who qualify based on the requirements laid down by the CDC and Department of Health."

Ethics Watchdog Group Incensed By CDC's Actions

Prompted by various news reports about Goldman Sachs officials receiving H1N1 vaccines, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said CDC director Dr. Thomas Frieden is writing a letter to states reiterating the importance of vaccinating priority groups.

Vaccine Supplies Already Scarce

But news that these employees may have access to scarce supplies of the vaccine comes on the heels of other reports that health clinics do not always screen out low-risk people who come with their families or on their own to receive injections.

President Obama's declaration that the H1N1 pandemic was a national emergency led many health care professionals to wonder whether publicizing guidelines on who should get the vaccine first was enough.

It might be necessary, some said, to screen interlopers actively -- and turn them away until more vaccine is available.

"It is ludicrous to leave the allocation of scarce vaccine to individual judgment and self-interest," said Arthur Caplan, professor of bioethics at the University of Pennsylvania.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has not made recommendations for screening high- or low-priority cases at public clinics because it would be logistically difficult.

"We have made it clear to providers who we want vaccinated first. At the end of the day, it is up to that provider to decide who to vaccinate," said Tom Skinner, a CDC spokesman.

CDC Recommends Children, Pregnant Women Be Vaccinated First

The CDC suggests that people at high risk for H1N1 infection be first in line. They include pregnant women, young people between 6 months and 24 years of age, caretakers for infants, health care workers, and people with chronic medical conditions.

ABC News correspondents Lisa Stark, who dropped in at a vaccination clinic in Montgomery County, Md., and Lisa Fletcher, who observed several clinics around Los Angeles, Calif., reported that indeed, it appeared that most of those lining up for shots were in these priority groups.

Still, some said steps should be taken to ensure this remains the case.

"It should be clear and shouldn't be fudged: People who do not fall within the high risk groups will be turned away," said Rosamond Rhodes, a professor of bioethics at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in New York. "This is a statement health departments and vaccine centers should make very pronounced... Unless everyone can be confident that the rules are being enforced, people will not want to comply."

I have a compromised immune system, got my shot last week and the nurse told me the vaccine is 90% effective in healthy people but that number is reduced in those with suppressed immune systems (she couldn't give me an exact number).
It also takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to take full effect.

i was informed by my doctor that i am a "high risk" person due to my shredded lungs, so i should absolutely get the H1N1 vaccination.

now, if i could only find it ...

Compromised immune system here, too. I saw the doctor on Thursday & asked about the shot. He said I should get it. I asked if he had it, and he said no, and had no idea if/when he will get it :| Got the regular flu shot in the meantime.

I was told that my daughter's previous pediatrician had 65 cases of H1N1 come thru his office. I don't know how many have been thru her current doctor's office. I may have to call there and ask if we can both get the shot from her. :|

Gonna stay away from crowds if possible. I made it thru the Rose Bowl show :whew:

"millions of unused vaccines".....I'm still waiting for mine!!!

Really?

They were giving them away here.

You might want to check with your local social services department -- we got ours when I had to take my disabled aunt in to get set up for Medicaid. They were giving the shots or mist out free.

Did you know bears live in the woods?

I probably had it last year. I remember having a pretty nasty flu that didn't disappear for something like 2 weeks, but it was nothing to go to the doctor for.
On the other hand, my friend who happened to be doing her elementary school internship caught it and had to spend 3 days quarantined in the hospital. It also gave her a faster heartbeat that she is still taking medication for right now.

50/50 chance. You're only lucky if you didn't die. Otherwise, keep calm and carry on.

If I /had/ kids, no I would not.

In fact, I've gotten the flu shot every year that I can remember, and then I always got the flu.

Last year, I decided not to get the flu shot, and I haven't gotten the flu, or a cold.

I'm going to try it again this year and see if I can avoid the flu shot and not get sick.

Plus, I don't want the mercury in my body. I get enough of it from fish.

Really?

They were giving them away here.

You might want to check with your local social services department -- we got ours when I had to take my disabled aunt in to get set up for Medicaid. They were giving the shots or mist out free.

My employer was giving them away but only to those who met the criteria (under 24, pregnant or primary caregiver for small child).

One thing I am thankful for out of all the H1N1 hype is discovering that ensuring your vitamin D levels are right is a more effective defense against any flu than a vaccine. 90% of people who contract the flu are vitamin D deficient.

Checking for the right level is as easy as getting your doctor to include it in your annual bloodwork. Supplementing with inexpensive D3 if you don't get enough (non-sunscreen) sunshine does the trick.

The town I live in still had plenty left over once the media hype died down-there were signs out every week.

I was going to get one but I chickened out. My brother had to get one because he has diabetes and it made him sick for days. If I had compromising health issues I would get it-but I would rather not get a shot when I have no complete idea about what's in it and what the possible side effects are. I'd rather take the chance on getting the swine flu.

I've never gotten a regular flu shot and so far so good

Back
Top Bottom