Hurricane news updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw a report late last night on CNN that talked about a woman evacuated to an airport who got on a plane with others, and she was made to leave her caged birds at the airport. :( I did see a segment today though that referred to people being able to take their pets, thank goodness.

Not that this compares to the current situation at all, but earlier in the spring, we had a very ominous looking storm brewing here, and tornado warnings were issued. Tornadoes can and have happened in this area, but they're relatively rare, and watches/warnings generally come to naught. Because this storm looked so bad, we took it seriously and prepared to run down to the basement. Our kittens were around 3 months at that point, and my daughter stuffed 5 of them in a cat carrier that holds 2 cats at best. :lol: I was holding the 6th one, and the mother was sticking close to us. Thankfully, although there were funnel clouds very close to us, and there ended up being a fair amount of minor damage and downed trees, there wasn't an actual tornado to speak of. I can certainly empathize with those currently concerned for the safety of their pets, though. I'm glad to hear that the authorities are accommodating them this time.

I really feel for all the people having to make such tough decisions and worrying and wondering how what they had to leave will weather the storm. Heart wrenching no matter how you look at it.

The report I saw was from a bus/train depot I think. Although we have transported pets by plane years ago, with all the changes in what's allowed and what isn't on planes now, I wouldn't chance trying to evacuate by plane with an animal now, even if I was told I could. Too much risk of not being able to take it when you get there. :(

Tornado warning really get your heart pumping, don't they? :yikes: Where I am isn't tornado alley by any means, but we do get them sometimes. I have a basement now, which is great, but I'm always stressed about what I would do if a tornado was headed my way. There's not much time and trying to get up to 10 cats (my eight and most likely my brother's two), the dog, and my aunt with downs syndrome who isn't good on her feet and has very poor vision down there quickly is something I hope to never have to do. :crazy:

If the oil refineries in La. get hit like they did in Katrina, we could see $5 gas soon.

I saw a segment on CNN about where a large bulk of the oil platforms are. It's just slightly west of New Orleans. Looks like the storm is headed straight for that area now. I filled up this morning and probably wont see $3.55 per gallon again this year.

I really feel for all the people having to make such tough decisions and worrying and wondering how what they had to leave will weather the storm. Heart wrenching no matter how you look at it.

Tornado warning really get your heart pumping, don't they? :yikes: Where I am isn't tornado alley by any means, but we do get them sometimes. I have a basement now, which is great, but I'm always stressed about what I would do if a tornado was headed my way. There's not much time and trying to get up to 10 cats (my eight and most likely my brother's two), the dog, and my aunt with downs syndrome who isn't good on her feet and has very poor vision down there quickly is something I hope to never have to do. :crazy:

It really made a difference on me leaving or not. If it hadn't diminished some and then the cone of impact moved slightly more west, I'd stilll be agonizing over leaving without my kitties. I didn't have any pets when Katrina came around. That's when I found out there are no structures in town that can withstand a Cat 4 storm. :ohmy: It's scary to think about.

Tornados is what I'm afraid of with this storm as it get closr. We will probably get some of the right side quandrant which is the destructive side.
Maybe you could have some practice drills. or would that be to upsetting for your aunt? Either way, good luck. :hug:

Unless I was on an island somewhere and it was the only way I'd be forced to evacuate, I would never choose to evacuate on an airplane. Not with weather threats like hurricane or tornado! (California girl here, I'll take an earthquake any day over a tornado or hurricane!) I'd also never evacuate without my pets. Thanksfully I've only ever had cats or dogs and currently a small dog who has gone nearly everywhere with me. I can't imagine ever leaving a pet behind. And during fire threats in So Calif we've had warnings to prepare for or to evacuate. My family has always had an evacuation and a survival plan and have always been at the ready for a natural disaster. It's smart.

I saw a segment on CNN about where a large bulk of the oil platforms are. It's just slightly west of New Orleans. Looks like the storm is headed straight for that area now.

The damage to oil platforms remains to be seen - it may not be as bad as during Katrina. Oil can always be released from the strategic petroleum reserve. The refineries are what I am more concerned with, but many have been hardened a bit after Katrina. Oil is up only $1 a barrel after Friday's close at this point.

please.

i condemned Moore's comments.

it's sad when the complaints about some kind of liberal echo chamber in here

become their own echo chamber
Do you think I have a problem with Moore's comments? He has an agenda to push and it sells well. A hurricane is hardly the most evil thing that 'God' has unleashed upon innocent people and the fact that it robs the GOP of the spotlight is a boon for his side (if the devious right doesn't spin it correctly).

Do you think I have a problem with Moore's comments? He has an agenda to push and it sells well. A hurricane is hardly the most evil thing that 'God' has unleashed upon innocent people and the fact that it robs the GOP of the spotlight is a boon for his side (if the devious right doesn't spin it correctly).

there are times when i miss the forest for the trees in some of your posts.

this is another one of those times.

I just hope and pray Gustav will not hit Nawlins and the people will be alright. It´s another tragedy because some have just finished to renovate their houses and came back, and the music was back. Even if it hits this will not affect the people who are wise enough to move up north. New Orleans has survived last time, it will stand now. I hope they all come back happy and celebrate that Gustav died down before reaching New Orleans. I hope the jazz clubs and the musicians will be fine..

I saw on some reports that people being evacuated by bus etc. are allowed to bring their pets this time (most weren't during Katrina). They had loads of crates at the ready for people to use and were telling people what to bring for their pets. I'm not sure I'd evacuate if I had to leave my pets (I don't live in a hurricane area so I've never faced that decision), so I think that will help get more people to leave.

I would NEVER leave my pets! Well, maybe the cats since they have all escaped enough times to prove themselves street smart and able to get home, squeeze into high places above water, but still not likely if I was taking dogs along anyway. I don't live anywhere near hurricane alley but I keep one carrier or box for each cat and twice as many crates as dogs, just in case we ever had to pack up and leave. If a hostel would not take us, we'd sleep in the car or the tent.

Best of luck to all in the southeast...

:sad: I hope everyone is ok :hug: it seems that this time people and goverment have taken more actions to save citizens

I just heard on radio that oil barrel drop 4$

:pray: for all of you

Associated Press, Sept. 11

Hurricane Ike's gargantuan size—not its strength—will likely push an extra large storm surge inland in a region already prone to it, experts said Thursday. Ike's giant girth means more water piling up on Texas and Louisiana coastal areas for a longer time, topped with bigger waves. So storm surge—the prime killer in hurricanes—will be far worse than a typical storm of Ike's strength, the National Hurricane Center said. And because coastal waters in Texas and Louisiana are so shallow, storm surge is usually larger there than in other regions, according to storm experts. A 1900 hurricane following a similar track to Ike inundated Galveston Island, killing more than 6000 people—America's deadliest storm. "It's a good recipe for surge," said Benton McGee, supervisory hydrologist at the U.S. Geological Survey's storm surge center in Ruston, La. "We're already seeing water being piled up in the Gulf. On top of that you're going to have water forced into the bays along the coast."

The National Hurricane Center is forecasting a 20-foot surge—a rapid rising of water inundating areas and moving inland—for a large swath of Texas and the Louisiana coasts. Above that, the center predicts "large and dangerous battering waves." Waves could be 50 feet tall, said hurricane center spokesman and meteorologist Dennis Feltgen. Some computer models have waves topping out at 70 feet, but the waves usually break well before hitting shore, so the maximum usually doesn't get quite that high. "It's going to do tremendous damage over a large area even if its doesn't strengthen anymore," predicted former hurricane center director Max Mayfield.

That's directly due to Ike's size. Experts are trying to figure out when they've seen a storm this wide. Ike's tropical storm force winds stretch for 510 miles, and weather radar from Galveston to Key West can see its outer bands. That's about 70% larger than an average hurricane.

...Geography doesn't help either. Experts say the Texas coast ranks second, behind Louisiana, as the worst region for storm surge in the United States. That's because the water there is shallower than in most other regions. The energy from a hurricane needs a way to escape. Deeper water can absorb more of it, dissipating the surge, but along the Texas coastline, the water has nowhere to go but up on shore, McGee said.
As of now they're expecting it to hit late Friday or early Saturday, probably as a Category 3 by then, possibly a 4. Nearly a million people have been ordered to evacuate.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone in the Houston area.

Last edited:
Not even a shower? Or ice?

Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths

Texans persevere through Ike's fury, but may wait weeks for hot meals, showers, electricity

By ANDRE COE
The Associated Press

HOUSTON

Tens of thousands of residents first hunkered down to wait for Hurricane Ike's brutal punch. Those survivors on the wrecked Texas coast must now wait again — for food, water and ice, for the electricity to return to their homes, for that first hot meal and shower.

For some, the wait could be days. For others, it could be weeks.

"A good bath would be nice: have the fire department swing by and spray us down," said Carlos Silliman, 48, as he sat on a picnic bench in front of his Galveston Island home, where 18 inches of water flooded his garage and ruined a freezer full of venison. "I'm ready to have a cold beer and read the paper."

For most, such luxuries are far beyond the horizon. Many service stations have no gasoline, and some major highways remain under water. More than 30,000 evacuees are still living in nearly 300 public shelters, and roughly 2 million people in Texas alone are without power.

Ike's victims have already walked for miles and waited for hours at supply distribution centers, gobbling up all that was offered: 1 million bottles of water, 1 million meals and 600,000 pounds of ice in just the first 36 hours after the storm passed.

It's not enough, and those dispatching truck after truck to distribution centers around the city know it. They hope to quadruple the number of supply centers by the end of Tuesday, one of which north of Houston drew 10,000 people Monday in search of food and water.

"That process will continue 24 hours a day," said Federal Emergency Management Agency spokesman Marty Bahamonde. "We'll never be empty of trucks at the staging area and the goal is to never be empty at the points of distribution."

Officials were also working to prevent looting and theft. Houston police chief Harold Hurtt said the city has issued 108 citations and arrested 33 people who violated the citywide curfew from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. that began on Sunday night. Hurtt said the arrests included several people in a stolen car, with stolen items inside.

President Bush planned to visit Houston and Galveston on Tuesday to talk with emergency officials and inspect the damage. He'll find beaches scoured clean of vacation homes, oil-slicked water and beaches with a sheen in Galveston — even burial vaults wrenched from the soggy ground by the storm's surge.

Officials on the barrier island said it could be months before the city of Galveston reopens. The main gas and a primary electric transmission line to the island were severely damaged by Ike, which also tore at the wharves in the city's port. Officials warned that mosquito-borne diseases could begin to spread after one elderly man was airlifted to a hospital covered with hundreds of bites.

"Galveston can no longer safely accommodate its population," City Manager Steve LeBlanc said. "Quite frankly, we are reaching a health crisis for people who remain on the island."

Across the entrance to Galveston Bay on Bolivar Peninsula, a resort community where entire neighborhoods were obliterated by the height of Ike's storm surge, only one or two buildings remained standing in the town of Gilchrist. Aaron Reed, a spokesman for Texas Parks and Wildlife, said the town "is almost completely gone. Like somebody took a razor and went pffft."

Bolivar Peninsula is home to about 30,000 people during the peak summer season, but after scouring almost all of the western end of the peninsula by nightfall Monday, officials said they had found no dead. But Reed said he had spoken with residents who weren't able to find fellow holdouts after the storm, and he feared their bodies might turn up as the waters recede.

Home designer and builder Bobby Anderson limped off the peninsula late Monday in a pickup truck battered by the storm, saying Ike swept out to sea a woman who had clung with him to a building's rafters. When asked to describe their ordeal, he refused.

"I'd really rather not," Anderson said.

Ike's death toll officially stood at 40 Tuesday, with most of the deaths coming outside of Texas. Among those killed in the state were at least three people who died from carbon monoxide poisoning after using generators.

Still, there are signs the recovery is moving forward. Houston assistant fire chief Rick Flanagan said emergency calls dropped dramatically Monday afternoon, and Mayor Bill White rescinded a mandate to boil water. White also said residents of the Clear Lake area, which was under a mandatory evacuation order, could safely return home.

At the supply distribution centers, the lines were long but most people patiently waited. At Texas Southern University, where lines of cars stretched two hours or longer for bottled water and bags of ice, 33-year-old LaChandra Noel arrived with her 11-year-old deaf and blind daughter in a wheelchair. Those ahead of Noel let her go to the front and get water and ice first.

"It all seems to be working," said Harris County Judge Ed Emmett. "People are being patient."

At the Justine Apartments in downtown Galveston, residents were surviving with a hibachi grill, a coffee maker, and a stash of beer, wine and liquor. Meals Ready to Eat were dropped off by the National Guard. Linda Lennon, 58, suggested the beef stew.

"We're all sticking together," she said.

Back
Top Bottom