Gulf oil disaster-helping oiled birds/wildlife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dakotalola

War Child
I’m sure everyone has seen or at least heard of the large numbers of birds found yesterday drenched in oil, completely covered and causing them to have trouble breathing and suffocating. Some were too far gone to save. The International Bird Rescue Center does have some of the birds and they're working to clean them today. Here's a recent blog from the Director. http://intbirdrescue.blogspot.com/

The Audubon Society in Louisiana is one of the official responders to the disaster. They have a hotline for people to call with locations of found oiled birds, and they call the local rescue /responders in that area to go out and find the birds for cleaning. They are actively involved in finding and cleaning birds.
They check their hotline every hour. I called them last night at 10:30 pm and got a live person. They’re dedicated to helping.

Here’s their site for donations specifically for the oil disaster response. They will be the ones trying to clean and restore the birds' habitats which are also being destroyed.

https://loon.audubon.org/payment/donate/OILSPILL10.html

Also note that Dawn’s Everyday Wildlife Champions charitable arm has a Facebook page with updates on what they’re doing (Trucks with loads of Dawn detergent have been going to the region from their Kentucky warehouse and they have people on the ground cleaning birds.)

Note that if you buy DAWN, you have to go online and enter the activation code for the $1/bottle donation to kick in. It doesn’t happen automatically when you just buy a bottle. Where to redeem the Dawn code: http://www.dawn-dish.com/en_US/savingwildlife/home.do

They have a $500k limit, and are up to $417k now. They need to be petitioned to raise that cap.

I can’t even look at the photos, it’s heartbreaking. And this is only the beginning. I’m afraid this will wipe out the last of the 300 endangered brown pelicans, and decimate the manatee population when it reaches around Florida. This is headed up the east coast by July, so it wont hurt to contact state reps now, and demand what they plan to have in place. The oil will travel up to 100 miles per day once it's in the Gulf current. The projected path is for it to completely surround Florida, go up the east coast to NC, then head out to sea, where it'll no doubt create more havoc when it reachs Europe.

Local Audubons will also have to deal with migrating falcons who will eat semi oiled birds that can still fly, but are slower than others. Then we have falcons who’ve ingested oil. This is only the start of entire ecosystems being destroyed.

Please pass along the donation information to friends, on your Facebook or Twitter pages-wherever, just to get the word out, and don’t forget to check if you have a company match which can double what you give.

Thanks for reading and helping,
Kim

home_save_right_img01.jpg

th_Seal-Clubbing.gif

Great contribution to the thread deep. I can tell you care a lot about animals.

This is not about the animals

it is about Procter and Gamble exploiting this disaster as a marketing device.

Oh, good. I was hoping to hear about ways to help those poor animals. My family usually gets Dawn, so we can contribute that way. I'll definitely keep the links in mind, see what I can donate and when-I'd love to help out. Seeing those animals like that is just so heartbreaking :( :sad:. Thanks for the information.

Angela

fuck. I was dreading when this news would start trickling in :( I really wish I could pack up and go help for a few weeks

This is not about the animals

have you looked at their site? The charitable arm of their company is called everyday wildlife champions. It existed well before this disaster happened.
If people bought their product they should know about activating the code to make it count.
Have you looked to see what the bird rescue groups are using ? Hmmm yes it's Dawn. Because it's what works and is safe on the animals. If you don't want to buy it don't. The other links I posted tell you how to volunteer and how to donate to a couple places to help rebuild habitats.
Why did you turn my thread into something negative? I wasn t promoting p&g, I was passing on information people may not have been aware of.
What are YOU doing to help?
I care very much about this-it's going to kill marine life from the Gulf, to around Florida , up to NC. This is devastating to birds, marine life, their habitats, and us. We're destroying this planet in leaps and bounds.
This post was to pass on places people can find information and donate to like Audubon. Not to start a discussion about P&g's motives.
Thanks to everyone else who posted or viewed. I'm glad some people care about this.

I saw a story about the Dawn campaign on CNN. It actually started for Earth Day, before the oil gusher disaster and the ads were used before that. So as far as that goes it wasn't specifically created to "exploit" the oil spill. They are donating money and free Dawn to clean up the birds. What's wrong with that? All companies use charitable works as marketing devices.

Anyone who is helping there, I say :applaud: to them

I actually read about this well before the BP disaster, it's one of the reasons you can't just go into a clean up at this scale without any thought. The experts just don't have the solution.

I’m sure everyone has seen or at least heard of the large numbers of birds found yesterday drenched in oil, completely covered and causing them to have trouble breathing and suffocating. Some were too far gone to save. The International Bird Rescue Center does have some of the birds and they're working to clean them today. Here's a recent blog from the Director. http://intbirdrescue.blogspot.com/

The Audubon Society in Louisiana is one of the official responders to the disaster. They have a hotline for people to call with locations of found oiled birds, and they call the local rescue /responders in that area to go out and find the birds for cleaning. They are actively involved in finding and cleaning birds.
They check their hotline every hour. I called them last night at 10:30 pm and got a live person. They’re dedicated to helping.

Here’s their site for donations specifically for the oil disaster response. They will be the ones trying to clean and restore the birds' habitats which are also being destroyed.

https://loon.audubon.org/payment/donate/OILSPILL10.html

Also note that Dawn’s Everyday Wildlife Champions charitable arm has a Facebook page with updates on what they’re doing (Trucks with loads of Dawn detergent have been going to the region from their Kentucky warehouse and they have people on the ground cleaning birds.)

Note that if you buy DAWN, you have to go online and enter the activation code for the $1/bottle donation to kick in. It doesn’t happen automatically when you just buy a bottle. Where to redeem the Dawn code: http://www.dawn-dish.com/en_US/savingwildlife/home.do

They have a $500k limit, and are up to $417k now. They need to be petitioned to raise that cap.

I can’t even look at the photos, it’s heartbreaking. And this is only the beginning. I’m afraid this will wipe out the last of the 300 endangered brown pelicans, and decimate the manatee population when it reaches around Florida. This is headed up the east coast by July, so it wont hurt to contact state reps now, and demand what they plan to have in place. The oil will travel up to 100 miles per day once it's in the Gulf current. The projected path is for it to completely surround Florida, go up the east coast to NC, then head out to sea, where it'll no doubt create more havoc when it reachs Europe.

Local Audubons will also have to deal with migrating falcons who will eat semi oiled birds that can still fly, but are slower than others. Then we have falcons who’ve ingested oil. This is only the start of entire ecosystems being destroyed.

Please pass along the donation information to friends, on your Facebook or Twitter pages-wherever, just to get the word out, and don’t forget to check if you have a company match which can double what you give.

Thanks for reading and helping,
Kim

Question. The people who were in charge of the Birds, more specifically the Brown Pelicans.

The director has been on the news several times, and he said that they didn't need volunteers, or donation , as BP was paying for it. He did say the Dawn donations were good.

He also said that they are working with USF Tampa, and relocating the birds there.

The state of Florida is all over BP . ALL over them as far as getting what they need. The florida response has been fantastic. Gov is there every day.

The other thing is about the 100 miles a day travel period for the oil . That would be 7,200 miles. 100 miles x 73-75 days. Not a drop of oil, South of Pensecola as of yet althoug hotels and such are going out of business left and right

NOAA is right across the street from where I work, and they are not certain this indeed this will make it into the "loop current". That is a maybe , not a certain.

I will see if I can find the television interview and link it. He said they had all they needed as to people, and resources. I don't think the guy was involved with the Internatational _______ or Audubons , as the group doing it has been there for like 30 some years. They are being funded directly from BP, and he said they have given them everything they need.

He DID say that he would prefer that people send the donations to the LOCAL Audubons Societies. He said that would be the best as they know people want to do something and that would be the best.

The reason I say this as often when stuff hits Florida, or Hati is a good example, a lot of stuff didnt get there. It all went somewhere, and nobody knows where.

I would be interested in this 100 miles a day thing . Never heard anyone say that. It is POSSIBLE to get in the loop cureent, but so far it hasn't.

Yesterday, it was also announced that the only thing they have found in the food chain that is confirmed, is oil in Blue crabs. Making $$ count, by directing them to the right people is what helps.

I will try to find the interview.

Warning To Gulf Volunteers: Almost Every Cleanup Worker From The 1989 Exxon Valdez Disaster Is Now Dead

Has anyone heard anything similar to this? It blows my mind, though I find it a little hard to believe

That is crazy. I live down here and never heard that once, although it is probably good to not swim in a massive oil spil. We have all had

water up our noses.

It the birds get covered way worse than any human, why are they alive and yet 400 people went to the hospital ?

All the Valdez people died? Red Adair and his company put of 1,000 of burning wells fro Kuwait , burning and spewing. took years, in addition to other 75 years of wells. Didn't kill him.

"Right now I have a dull headache, and my stomach is queasy. I have been thinking maybe the chemicals from the oil cleanup or the oil itself is causing us to be ill. It has been raining all day off and on. I started feeling ill late last night. I was wonder"

Ummm it is allergy season in Florida. A lot of pollen in the air. This girl has not been near the beach, and a lot of people live in Pensecola. They are dying? No . Those are classic allergy symptoms in Florida.

No hospitals have reported mass complaints. None.

The beach workers can only work 20 mins an hour. They wear masks.

That is a bogus article.

PS 2 deaths from the clean up. Both suicides.​

Well, I think the idea is that its the long term effects of the oil and dispersant, so chronic problems from the current disaster wouldn't be apparent yet. That said, I'm not defending the article. I'm trying to find some more information on it

Well, I think the idea is that its the long term effects of the oil and dispersant, so chronic problems from the current disaster wouldn't be apparent yet. That said, I'm not defending the article. I'm trying to find some more information on it

No outbreaks of posion workers at any hospital on the Alert sheets.

Obvious, long exposure to oil, more so of gas funes obviously would cause issue, but even in large ammounts, unless they were swimming in and were breathing the fumes for a long periods of time, they might pass out. If the were "huffing: it, yes, that would be a problem.

The Interview with the guy doing the Birds " rescue" was with Shepard Smith about 6 days ago

He did say they do not need volunteers and did not want people to go down there and BP is paying for all over. Yes he has recieved the money and equipment etc that they needed, He also said that while he understands people want to help, and suggested to donate to your local chapters . You have to search the 7:00 pm Sjepard smith show. I cannot link it.

The guy has been there for like 35 years, so they have a great staff, and plenty of BP and LA money. Seemed like an awesome guy.

Procter and Gamble is one of the best corps in this country. They donate big tme, from animal shelters, tot the community.

Not one P&G employee, from a Janitor to a Vp retires without being a millionaire. They are very good to their people, and give the stock in addition to good wages and benfits. They have done wonder restoring neighborhoods and social services to Cincinnati .They and GE Aircraft have the model of school age kids mentoring programs

They are not milking this to sell dawn. It is the only thing that works, and helps the animals , but removing the oil. They have donated tons of it for free, for th areas that have been impacted. Big Evil corp I know

I also found a clip about the "100 mies from florida;s east cost. what the lady said was " if it comes within a 100 miles we will see it " Visually. Then she said "may see a few tarballs. These comments tick me off, as they dont know, and the mere suggested will turn us into Mississippi , Ala, which are being decimented. St Pete is dying just by the perception it MAY come there. The loop current by the florida west coast is way off shore. BTW, we see tar bars all the time. But they are few. They naturally occur also because there is ocen, put there naturally by mother earth. some oil is pessured up naturally

The thing about the loop current it that it archs off the weat coast, goes wide around the bottom( way offshore of the west side of the keys... away from the last coral reefs) ) and goes across the northern coast of cuba, and comes back at around palm beach. The good thing is that the gulfstream is a 1/4 mile off the coast, and it moves fast north this time of year. It wll move it away of the coast .

The good news is that they are ahead on the relief well drilling. They now think middle to the end of july.

other thing. 1,000 of local boats have been converted to skimmers. The Gov is not using one of them. Not a single one. Jindal has order the LA nattionl guard to start monitoring and conting on a daily basis how many skimmers are there. Someone is not telling the truth about the resurces being used, and it isn't bP. The government count was different in 4 different reports, last one cited by PJ crowley assist. Secretary of State.

How can the government not know how many are being used and depending what department in the Gov says, they are all different number.

Reminds me of Katrina

have you looked at their site? The charitable arm of their company is called everyday wildlife champions. It existed well before this disaster happened.
If people bought their product they should know about activating the code to make it count.
Have you looked to see what the bird rescue groups are using ? Hmmm yes it's Dawn. Because it's what works and is safe on the animals. If you don't want to buy it don't. The other links I posted tell you how to volunteer and how to donate to a couple places to help rebuild habitats.
Why did you turn my thread into something negative? I wasn t promoting p&g, I was passing on information people may not have been aware of.
What are YOU doing to help?
I care very much about this-it's going to kill marine life from the Gulf, to around Florida , up to NC. This is devastating to birds, marine life, their habitats, and us. We're destroying this planet in leaps and bounds.
This post was to pass on places people can find information and donate to like Audubon. Not to start a discussion about P&g's motives.
Thanks to everyone else who posted or viewed. I'm glad some people care about this.

we all care down here. It is many peoples lives, in addition to the great strides FL has taken over the years to restore the Natural way of the land and water. The everglades is a great example of that. . 8 years ago the gulf was dead. It had over a 2,000 square mile "dead zone" it had fully recovered.

by EMILY FREDRIX AP Retail Writer
updated 7/1/2010 9:52:41 AM

NEW YORK — Pepsi is expanding its popular Refresh Project charitable program to help communities affected by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

The soft drink and snack maker said Thursday it will give an additional $1.3 million in grants next month to projects that will help communities in the five-state region — Texas, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama.

Since January, the Refresh Project has been giving $1.3 million for 32 grants each month. People submit ideas online for everything from literacy projects to programs that provide tuxedos for prom. Then online voters choose winning projects.

The company saw a need for relief in the area and wanted to use the Refresh Project to help, said Lauren Hobart, chief marketing officer of sparkling beverages for Pepsi Beverages America, the unit that runs Pepsi.

"It just seemed like a natural evolution of the program," she said, adding Pepsi expects to do similar efforts focusing on specific events or locations in the future.

People can start submitting ideas for projects July 12, for anything that helps people in the region. Pepsi said project ideas can't be related to cleanup efforts or the environment because other agencies are handling that. Possible projects could be providing job training or money for arts efforts in local communities.

"I think we're going to end up being surprised with what consumers come back with," Hobart said.

The Refresh Project has been a public-relations coup for Pepsi and has drawn a huge volume of suggested projects and online buzz.

The company has been surprised by the variety of projects — and the number — that people submit each month. The project has given more than $7 million through May this year and expects to spend a total of at least $20 million. So far, more than 31 million votes have been cast.

The company accepts only 1,000 new ideas each month — so they can vet each one, Hobart said. That limit is reached within minutes after a new cycle begins on the first of each month, which happened Thursday morning. People campaign for votes through Facebook, Twitter and in e-mail messages to get their projects approved.

The Refresh Project is Pepsi's major marketing effort this year. The brand sat out the Super Bowl this year — where it had been a major advertiser for years — to focus on the project.

Indeed. Maybe if the American public actually were able to see what the oil spill is doing it might shift public opinion and create some momentum for a real change in our energy policy. Baffling move from the Obama administration.

I've been baffled since day on how he has dealt with this from a PR perspective. If he had talked to the public and actually been transparent showed what he's done, and then showed the public that no one out there ever had a plan set forth for this he could actually help inform the public and help his reputation at the same time.

Baffled :shrug:

I've been baffled since day on how he has dealt with this from a PR perspective. If he had talked to the public and actually been transparent showed what he's done, and then showed the public that no one out there ever had a plan set forth for this he could actually help inform the public and help his reputation at the same time.

Baffled :shrug:

BVS your blind support of everything Obama does has grown tiresome. I don't see how you can. . .

Oh wait.

Oops.

Sorry.

:wink:

In all seriousness though. I can't see the rationale behind these new restrictions. Bad move on the Obama adminstration's part. I don't see anyone winning with this policy and that includes BP and the White House.

Back
Top Bottom