GOP Nominee 2012 - Pt. 5 - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #161
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,936
Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Here's a link to audio of Irish President Michael D. Higgins arguing with a Tea Party member (American, of course) over healthcare and foreign policy.

A Tea Partier Decided To Pick A Fight With A Foreign President. It Didn't Go So Well.

This is the original radio show:
Newstalk Media Player
Holy shit, that's awesome.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #162
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,564
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Here's a link to audio of Irish President Michael D. Higgins arguing with a Tea Party member (American, of course) over healthcare and foreign policy.

A Tea Partier Decided To Pick A Fight With A Foreign President. It Didn't Go So Well.

This is the original radio show:
Newstalk Media Player
*Stands up and applauds* Another reason to love the Irish right here. Holy shit, Higgins smoked him.

Can we find some sort of loophole or something to get him on the presidential ballot this year? Or at least working in the Obama adminstration? Please?
__________________

Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #163
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,726
Local Time: 10:03 PM
That was amazeballs.
anitram is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #164
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,058
Local Time: 10:03 PM
that was cathartic. fucking great.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #165
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:03 AM
Higgins is no-one's fool. He has long standing links with the US and is not coming from the default euro leftie position of scorning America but not really knowing anything about the place. Remember seeing him in the Fitzpatrick's Hotel NYC in October 2001.

I should point out however that the role of the Irish president is largely ceremonial. And this interview was given before he was elected president and before the campaigns for the 2011 Irish presidential election had even started. It would not be appropriate for an elected president to engage in this type of heated commentary and neither would he do so. If he were to give an interview on a US radio station now it would be carefully scripted and would talk about innocous matters such as trade and cultural links.
financeguy is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #166
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 27,406
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I've never been more proud of the Irish blood in me

I'm Irish too, I have plenty of relatives there - county Mayo. Been lucky enough to travel to Ireland three times.

Wow, he's pretty cool. Love that accent too.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #167
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,074
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I'm Irish too
I'm sorry
digitize is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 27,406
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I'm sorry
You can only get away with that because you are too. Btw I can't believe you're only 19 and in college, you just come across so well on here. So smart and so well spoken, I thought you were so much older. I wish I could be 19 again, I think that was my favorite age. Enjoy it while you can
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #169
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,074
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen

You can only get away with that because you are too. Btw I can't believe you're only 19 and in college, you just come across so well on here. So smart and so well spoken, I thought you were so much older. I wish I could be 19 again, I think that was my favorite age. Enjoy it while you can
Awww, that's very nice of you. I appreciate it.
digitize is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #170
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,600
Local Time: 07:03 PM
I try to participate in these discussions based on the merit of the arguments. That is why I never write things like, "I can't believe I am agreeing with (insert name here)."

But being on here for any length of time we do become familiar with people's backgrounds and situations. So I do put people's comments in context to how I come to perceive them.

Anyways, I always thought digitize was in his 30s.




(you know how you separate the Irish boys from the Irish girls?)
deep is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #171
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 27,406
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Oops sorry, wrong thread

I still don't know quite what deep means but that often happens
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #172
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I'm Irish too, I have plenty of relatives there - county Mayo. Been lucky enough to travel to Ireland three times.

Wow, he's pretty cool. Love that accent too.
You're Irish? In that case, can you name the current Irish prime minister (without Googling).
financeguy is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #173
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 27,406
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Can't remember the name, but I don't think that's a test for being Irish

My great grandparents came here from Ireland straight off the boat, I have cousins there, I visited the remains of my great grandparents' stone house there, and my mother has Irish (dual) citizenship. I was also told when I went there that I looked more Irish than the Irish, of course I was much younger then and it was by a cute Irish guy. So it could have been a load of crap.

I don't keep up on all the current events and people there but I proudly consider myself to be Irish, even though it's not 100%. My mother is 100% but I can't help who she married, unfortunately. Bane of my existence that I can't go back in a time machine and change that.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #174
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,600
Local Time: 07:03 PM
(you know how you separate the Irish boys from the Irish girls?)






with a crowbar
deep is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #175
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Can't remember the name, but I don't think that's a test for being Irish

My great grandparents came here from Ireland straight off the boat, I have cousins there, I visited the remains of my great grandparents' stone house there, and my mother has Irish (dual) citizenship. I was also told when I went there that I looked more Irish than the Irish, of course I was much younger then and it was by a cute Irish guy. So it could have been a load of crap.

I don't keep up on all the current events and people there but I proudly consider myself to be Irish, even though it's not 100%. My mother is 100% but I can't help who she married, unfortunately. Bane of my existence that I can't go back in a time machine and change that.
It's possible that you yourself are entitled to Irish citizenship.



Quote:
If your parent has already become an Irish citizen through FBR (or Naturalisation, Post-Nuptial Declaration, or Adoption, etc) before you were born, you are entitled to claim Irish citizenship through them.

If your parent became an Irish citizen through FBR before 1st July 1986, you can claim Irish citizenship through that parent, even if you were born before they became an Irish citizen. This only applies if you were born after 17 July 1956.
Department of Foreign Affairs


Btw, Enda Kenny, the current Irish Prime Minister, is from Mayo, so it wasn't a very difficult question! Can you name the leader of the 1916 Easter Rising.
financeguy is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #176
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
(you know how you separate the Irish boys from the Irish girls?)

with a crowbar

An Irishman who had a little too much to drink is driving home from the city one night and, of course, his car is weaving violently all over the road.

A cop pulls him over.

‘So,’ says the cop to the driver. ‘Where have ya been?’

‘Why, I’ve been to the pub of course,’ slurs the drunk.

‘Well,’ says the cop, ‘it looks like you’ve had quite a few to drink this evening.’

‘I did, all right,’ the drunk says with a smile.

‘Did you know,’ says the cop, standing straight and folding his arms across his chest,
‘that a few intersections back, your wife fell out of your car?’

‘Oh! Thank heavens,’ sighs the drunk. ‘For a minute there, I thought I’d gone deaf.’
financeguy is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #177
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
An Irishman who had a little too much to drink is driving home from the city one night and, of course, his car is weaving violently all over the road.

A cop pulls him over.

‘So,’ says the cop to the driver. ‘Where have ya been?’

‘Why, I’ve been to the pub of course,’ slurs the drunk.

‘Well,’ says the cop, ‘it looks like you’ve had quite a few to drink this evening.’

‘I did, all right,’ the drunk says with a smile.

‘Did you know,’ says the cop, standing straight and folding his arms across his chest,
‘that a few intersections back, your wife fell out of your car?’

‘Oh! Thank heavens,’ sighs the drunk. ‘For a minute there, I thought I’d gone deaf.’


Its best to say that I am an American of Irish descent. I cannot claim Irish citizenship in any way, as my grandparents were born in the U.S. Even so, my family talk about Ireland as if we left the country yesterday.

I think people in America, particularly those in immigrant-heavy areas, are more likely to say they're Irish, Italian, Polish, Chinese, etc. because the reminder that we're an immigrant nation is always there. I once lived in a small town in upstate NY and the idea of identifying as one of those nationalities was odd. That was also probably because in smaller areas, people are more likely to be mixed European than having descended from one or two nationalities.
Pearl is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #178
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
LJT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Belfast
Posts: 5,171
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
It's possible that you yourself are entitled to Irish citizenship.

Department of Foreign Affairs


Btw, Enda Kenny, the current Irish Prime Minister, is from Mayo, so it wasn't a very difficult question! Can you name the leader of the 1916 Easter Rising.
No need to be a killjoy dude, but we all know Bertie is taoiseach for life, we just pretend not to know.

I never really like the conversations about how Irish are you, i've had plenty of people from the Republic claim i'm not really Irish since i'm from the North. But then again most people's grandparents were born at a time when they still would have been British citizens...
LJT is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #179
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 27,406
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Really dude (don't get offended by that, just one of my fave expressions)? So I have to pass/fail your test? Yeah, I'd probably suck at Jeopardy too. Maybe you can ask digitize, he's Irish and probably much smarter than I am.

They still let me in your country three times and I didn't have to pass any test. If I could afford it I'd go back as often as I could, haven't been since the 90's. I'm Irish My mother didn't become a citizen early enough for me to qualify.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
You can only get away with that because you are too. Btw I can't believe you're only 19 and in college, you just come across so well on here. So smart and so well spoken, I thought you were so much older. I wish I could be 19 again, I think that was my favorite age. Enjoy it while you can
Wow, digitize is 19? Even I thought he was about 30 years old!
__________________

Pearl is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×