God Bless MLK 50 year Speech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tim722

The Fly
"I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.' I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers. I have a dream."

May everyone be judged by the content of their character and not by their color of their skin. That's the way it should be yet 50 yrs later race is still an issue. Hopefully in another 50 yrs we will all get along. It's sad that MLK's dream had yet to be fulfilled.

Just wondering how everyone feels? I know plenty of great people of both races. I also know plenty of racists who are black and white. Seems like MLK's dream is still a ways off. Too sad. There seems to be a lot of healing in this country left to be done. On both sides.

It's weird seeing this OP and then all your other posts on this board.

We're moving in the right direction. Perhaps slower than we should, but we're closer to MLK's dream with every generation.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

~MLK

A call for us to throw away our crayons, but we still seem to focus on color
and not character.

Sad :sad:

The march was about jobs and economic justice. The speech was not about colorblindness, but about accepting difference.

Back
Top Bottom