Global Pandemic Part V: Enjoy a Corona while flying Delta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My company is finally opening up one of their local offices next week for “voluntary return to the office”. I was looking forward to this for so long. I need some normalcy to go to the office even for just three days a week. And now, it doesn’t matter if you’re vaccinated, masks are mandatory in the office. I will not be returning to the office to mask and social distance from everyone, no thanks.

Love the title, even though it's so beyond depressing that the plane is going in the wrong direction.

View attachment 12913

tenor.gif

My company was planning on having us return in August following a hybrid schedule. I had told my boss there's no need for me to ever come back since I've never been in the office in the 15 months I've worked for the company. If someone really needs me to come in because they want to white board, then they need to work harder to explain over the phone :)

But

We were just told all plans are off until 2022. Everyone will stay remote.

The governor of MA said that Obama's outdoor birthday party wasn't a good idea. Meanwhile outdoor concerts and baseball games are going on and he has no problem with that. So that seems random. I'm not saying huge house (sprawling estate) parties are a good idea these days.

I heard several different numbers about how many attending. 200 working at the party, up to 500 attending which I can't even imagine was the case. Supposedly Pearl Jam is the entertainment.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The party for the nation’s 44th president will go on, but only for family and close friends.

Former President Barack Obama has scaled back his 60th birthday bash set for this weekend at his Martha’s Vineyard home off the Massachusetts coast due to the surge of infections blamed on the delta variant of the coronavirus, his office said Wednesday.

Attendance is now limited to family and close friends. Published reports had said hundreds of celebrities, politicos and others were expected at Obama’s sprawling house.

“This outdoor event was planned months ago in accordance with all public health guidelines and with COVID safeguards in place,” Obama spokesperson Hannah Hankins said in a statement. “Due to the new spread of the delta variant over the past week, the President and Mrs. Obama have decided to significantly scale back the event to include only family and close friends.”

“President Obama is appreciative of others sending their birthday wishes from afar and looks forward to seeing people soon,” Hankins added.

The two-term president turned 60 on Wednesday. Some conservatives criticized the plans for a milestone birthday celebration after details about the event were published this week.

“If the CDC doesn’t recommend Obama cancel his birthday party, don’t listen when they recommend you shut down your business,” conservative activist Charlie Kirk tweeted on Monday.

The governor of MA said that Obama's outdoor birthday party wasn't a good idea. Meanwhile outdoor concerts and baseball games are going on and he has no problem with that. So that seems random. I'm not saying huge house (sprawling estate) parties are a good idea these days.

I heard several different numbers about how many attending. 200 working at the party, up to 500 attending which I can't even imagine was the case. Supposedly Pearl Jam is the entertainment.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The party for the nation’s 44th president will go on, but only for family and close friends.

Former President Barack Obama has scaled back his 60th birthday bash set for this weekend at his Martha’s Vineyard home off the Massachusetts coast due to the surge of infections blamed on the delta variant of the coronavirus, his office said Wednesday.

Attendance is now limited to family and close friends. Published reports had said hundreds of celebrities, politicos and others were expected at Obama’s sprawling house.

“This outdoor event was planned months ago in accordance with all public health guidelines and with COVID safeguards in place,” Obama spokesperson Hannah Hankins said in a statement. “Due to the new spread of the delta variant over the past week, the President and Mrs. Obama have decided to significantly scale back the event to include only family and close friends.”

“President Obama is appreciative of others sending their birthday wishes from afar and looks forward to seeing people soon,” Hankins added.

The two-term president turned 60 on Wednesday. Some conservatives criticized the plans for a milestone birthday celebration after details about the event were published this week.

“If the CDC doesn’t recommend Obama cancel his birthday party, don’t listen when they recommend you shut down your business,” conservative activist Charlie Kirk tweeted on Monday.

The Pearl Jam rumor was shot down a few days ago, before the party got 90% nixed.

So we're back to judging vaccinated people for participating in outdoor gatherings of any size? How depressing.

Last edited:
So we're back to judging vaccinated people for participating in outdoor gatherings of any size? How depressing.

People can do what they want, but I just don't think a former President should be having 700 people at his vacation home (if that was even the case, that could have been wildly exaggerated). Bad optics right now, especially since Biden was his vp. Governor of MA is just being ridiculous. The judging of Obama's birthday party can obviously be nothing but political.

I don't know the timing regarding when the party was actually scaled down. Could have been before it leaked out.

MA positive cases are climbing every day. Still much better than many places in the country and we have a good vaccination rate.

Obama's party is said to have a covid coordinator. That's when you know you've really made it.

Last edited:
I'm sure the invitations were lost in the mail...probably Louis DeJoy's doing.

Must be that.

Obviously with a large party for that man you have guests flying in from all over the country (and maybe the world). So that would be a concern for the state and I understand that.

Now they have found a new variant in FL. It freaking never ends.

Yea I have zero issue with events for fully vaccinated persons.

And let's be honest - people are already flying in from all over the country and/or world to the Martha's Vineyard Airport and Car Care Center, without checking vaccination status, so this is more optics than actual good policy.

I just hope Eddie comes and sticks around for a week or so so I can bump into him at Nancy's.

My company is finally opening up one of their local offices next week for “voluntary return to the office”. I was looking forward to this for so long. I need some normalcy to go to the office even for just three days a week. And now, it doesn’t matter if you’re vaccinated, masks are mandatory in the office. I will not be returning to the office to mask and social distance from everyone, no thanks.

That’s cool, so stay home then….

https://twitter.com/wfaa/status/1423418544767787017?s=21

Kinda feels like these GOP states want this to go in forever. Or worse, actually kill people

Hey! Sounds much like Alberta Canada! Where if you are positive for COVID you DONT have to isolate or anything of the likes! Alberta is the most “Republican” province in Canada! I think this is normal behaviour for conservatives/ republicans around the world lol.

there's actually a bit of a split going on in the republican party on COVID - where we're seeing some governors and members of the leadership come to their senses and push for vaccines and masks - whereas the trumpyest of trump republicans are doubling down.

that's not supposed to be a pat on the back to the republicans who have finally seen the light on this issue - they invited the parasite into the house and let it flourish for four years - but there does seem to (finally) be a crack.

Oh, a global pandemic raging on in its second year with like a million dead and there’s finally a crack in the Republican Party. Whaddayaknow.

Oh, a global pandemic raging on in its second year with like a million dead and there’s finally a crack in the Republican Party. Whaddayaknow.

I would like to think that a government party letting kids get sick on purpose to try and sabotage the other parties election chances won't play well in any part of town.

Tho there'll still be a small % that will sacrifice anything to own the libs

Nothing screams like Medical Freedom like being able to go to the hospital and possibly infecting some nurses. Woohoo LFG!

The numbers coming out of Florida today are horrifying. Even accounting for backlogs, we're talking about week over week growth at an exponential rate not yet seen in the state. Deaths are spiking too. DeSantis is straight up murdering his constituents.

Back
Top Bottom