Global Pandemic Part V: Enjoy a Corona while flying Delta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed, I’m not trying to dismiss your take, I just want to proceed with caution despite being hopeful. If we can still poke holes in the argument, we aren’t out of the woods yet.

My caution when looking at other countries is that Americans aren’t known for keeping themselves in the best of shape / health. This disease does seem to harm those who have underlying health issues / obesity.

Plenty of younger healthier people have been taken down by this thing but there’s a reason people fall into high risk.

I personally was going to say the CDC has not been “shit the whole time” but rather has performed well given the constraints of this awkward society.

Sorry to hear that.
Hope it's a mild to no symptoms case.

It’s been extremely mild. Probably has gone through all 5 of us now and the worst any of us had it was a little night time congestion, a single-day mild sore throat, and a small amount of fatigue. The worst part was not seeing anyone outside our immediate family for Christmas. But… that may have also been the best part.

Glad everyone fared reasonably well.
There'll be plenty of future Christmases to wonder why the hell you invited Uncle Eugene over in the first place.

My thought was that he has Covid and won't admit it publicly.
But who knows? Absence just adds to his resume.

Gotta hate that the man is using his wife’s cancer as a political token.

On another note, Covid is running through my house right now. Two positives, 2-4 showing symptoms. Genuinely don’t know how I don’t have Covid right now since I sat right next to my symptomatic brother for lunch - I guess my vaccine worked.

https://twitter.com/fastbreconomics/status/1477839890716971022

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/corona...irginia/covid-19-cases-by-vaccination-status/

--twice the number of positive cases
--small increase in total hospitalizations
--huge decrease in hospitalization rate
--huge drop in total deaths
--gigantic drop in death rate

it may just be an ordinary spring around the corner.

Key piece of info is "among fully vaxxed", the unvaxxed are going to continue to help perpetuate this thing long after we run out of letters in the Greek Alphabet.

Key piece of info is "among fully vaxxed", the unvaxxed are going to continue to help perpetuate this thing long after we run out of letters in the Greek Alphabet.

Once we use Xi it’s over… stock up on munitions and food and find Rick Grimes.

yes and no.

this isn't as bad for unvaxxed anymore, either. it's milder for everyone. and the next variant to take over will be even milder - it's not going to go the other way.

the overwhelming number of people who are hospitalized or dying are unvaxxed. but those numbers are lower than where they were previously.

FH8LFSmXoCAFBU0

it's time to start putting this thing behind us and not treating every new variant as if it's march 2020 again.

I'd agree that we are quickly approaching the point where the major hurdle to something approximating normalcy is cultural rather than medical. It seems more and more that Covid paranoia has become entrenched in the politics of the left. I'm not sure how easily that can be changed.

yes and no.

this isn't as bad for unvaxxed anymore, either. it's milder for everyone. and the next variant to take over will be even milder - it's not going to go the other way.

the overwhelming number of people who are hospitalized or dying are unvaxxed. but those numbers are lower than where they were previously.

FH8LFSmXoCAFBU0

it's time to start putting this thing behind us and not treating every new variant as if it's march 2020 again.

Not sure what point you’re making about the unvaccinated. That little slope up is likely predominately unvaccinated delta and early omicron people. We need the month of January for data on unvaccinated people with exclusively omicron. Given that the majority of the population is vaccinated, the damage to unvaccinated people will not be visually apparent on that graph alone.

But that’s all moot. The virus can mutate. That, too, is moot. Because nobody as a population, vaccinated or not, has shown any ability to be even minor ability to be inconvenienced. So, honestly we should accept that it’s going to mutate and kill more people, and the assholes who won’t get vaccinated are going to probably kill themselves. Let’s get on with our lives.

I'd agree that we are quickly approaching the point where the major hurdle to something approximating normalcy is cultural rather than medical. It seems more and more that Covid paranoia has become entrenched in the politics of the left. I'm not sure how easily that can be changed.

I feel sorry for the people who have so deeply submerged themselves in this pandemic that their entire identities revolve around their vaccination status, opinions on lockdowns and vaccine mandates, mask wearing, etc. Inevitably, this pandemic will end and people will have to find a new crisis upon which to attach themselves.

Each day I find the same people on the LA Public Health Twitter complaining about mask-wearing liberals, unvaccinated MAGA supporters, etc. and I shake my head. It's pathetic that a topic as important as public health became politicized so starkly.

2 of the 4 in my house have tested positive now. Me? The guy the actually has cold like symptoms? Just tested negative.

You'd think that at this point people would understand that pandemics are really about collective and not individual choice. It doesn't matter really at this point if people are in the hospital because of incidental COVID, or mild symptoms that require hydration rather than respirators. If you need dialysis, or if you have appendicitis, or if you are a homeless person who tested positive and are looking for a shelter that accepts COVID patients, you are screwed irrespective of your vaccination status, because hospitals can't cope with volume, and social services are not set up for this. Exponential growth is ruthless like that. "Let's go live our lives" is great if you don't fall into one of those unfortunate categories.

You'd think that at this point people would understand that pandemics are really about collective and not individual choice. It doesn't matter really at this point if people are in the hospital because of incidental COVID, or mild symptoms that require hydration rather than respirators. If you need dialysis, or if you have appendicitis, or if you are a homeless person who tested positive and are looking for a shelter that accepts COVID patients, you are screwed irrespective of your vaccination status, because hospitals can't cope with volume, and social services are not set up for this. Exponential growth is ruthless like that. "Let's go live our lives" is great if you don't fall into one of those unfortunate categories.

Since the quote is from me, I think you should reconsider my post. I fully note that pandemics are about the collective, and like I said, nobody in this country (or western society) can be inconvenienced for even one minute. That’s why it’s time to get on with our lives. This idea that the country is somehow going to pull together a collective effort to care for one another after two years of colossal failure to do so is crazy. We don’t just fail legislatively from one side, we socially fail from both.

Back
Top Bottom