Global Pandemic Part V: Enjoy a Corona while flying Delta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is keeping us from doing any of this ? I see Boston (and a few other cities) require proof of vaccination to get into nearly any business.

Is it not allowed to enforce on federal level ? Are we scared of the courts or worse are we scared of a minority of the population ?

It’s this way in Seattle. Definitely gives you peace of mind.

People here are also safety crazy. I see a lot of outdoor mask wearing, but not complaining.

Chicago is implementing the vaccine mandate to access majority of businesses.

I think LA is that way too ? Not here in San Diego.

The yoga studio i teach at is feeling the pain at the moment. There was a party over the weekend that a load of teachers went to. Found out people test positive the next couple of days and teachers need subs now that they’re positive or have to wait for their test to come back.

Might be good timing with holidays and class sizes being much smaller

But this thing is everywhere. Good news is it appears that omicron fades about as fast as it rises.

The vaccinate mandate is widespread in Seattle. It gives so much peace of mind, and I just tested to be safe for the holidays, and I’m neg despite going out frequently to restaurants and even a couple of very crowded bars. You have to show your card almost everywhere. This is in contrast to a lot of my NYC/DC friends where quite a few people have tested positive (but since virtually all of my friends are vaxxed, symptoms are mild … but they still have to isolate for 10 days, which sucks).

I could be lucky. But the business mandate is a great thing. We need to treat the unvaxxed like smokers, and how we kicked them out of bars and restaurants 20 years ago (which seemed unthinkable at the time).

Smoke all you want, but keep your filthy air to yourself.

NYC has had an indoor vaccine mandate for months. It worked quite well to keep cases down, but it hasn't worked as well with Omicron just yet - as Omicron is just that fucking contagious.

DC finally decided they were going to do a vaccine mandate today because our mayor is a spineless follower.

It doesn't go into effect until January 15, and will still only be a one shot requirement until February 15 to "give time for the unvaccinated to get vaccinated."

That's swell and all, and this is certainly a step on the right direction, but, uh, Mayor Bowser? The unvaccinated have had plenty of God damn time to get the shot. This shit should have started immediately, with January being the booster deadline.

What is keeping us from doing any of this ? I see Boston (and a few other cities) require proof of vaccination to get into nearly any business.

Is it not allowed to enforce on federal level ? Are we scared of the courts or worse are we scared of a minority of the population ?

Constitutional constraints are a factor, yep.

Conservative rags are really pushing hard for omicron to be a glorified cold. Saw a Daily Mail article (lol) that claimed the hospitalization rate for omicron would be 90-95% lower than delta. Daily Wire, based on their medical sources, argued that 90%(!!!) who contract the variant won't even experience symptoms.

I certainly hope they're right. Not changing a damn thing about how I live my life, but I hope they're right. The next few months are our best chance of ending the pandemic as antibodies will be skyrocketing everywhere regardless of vaccination status.

Conservative rags are really pushing hard for omicron to be a glorified cold. Saw a Daily Mail article (lol) that claimed the hospitalization rate for omicron would be 90-95% lower than delta. Daily Wire, based on their medical sources, argued that 90%(!!!) who contract the variant won't even experience symptoms.

I certainly hope they're right. Not changing a damn thing about how I live my life, but I hope they're right. The next few months are our best chance of ending the pandemic as antibodies will be skyrocketing everywhere regardless of vaccination status.
The politicization of COVID-19, thanks to the fucking numb nuts 45th president, impacts all sides.

The evidence truly is continuing to point towards this variant being super mild, not causing hospitalizations on a large scale (especially for those who are vaccinated), and is actively pushing the more deadly Delta variant into extinction.

We're also seeing solid data that the risk of spread in vaccinated asymptomatic persons is very very low. People who test positive are testing negative 2-3-4 days later.

Everything is pointing to this variant not being a death sentence but the beginning of the end.

Alas - there are still those on the left who are over exaggerating the risk and those on the right who are under playing COVID in general. This is impacting our ability to make sane and rational decisions here.

iu

I have it, as does Ashley and her whole family that we've been staying with. Pretty sure I gave omicron to everyone when I traveled out here on Sunday. I'm surprised I'm still testing positive because I felt worst on Monday and Tuesday and even then I couldn't tell if it was one of my usual sinus infections or a really mild cold. Didn't quite feel like either.

Somehow I tested negative at the start of the week but I had a direct exposure last week and it sure as hell seems like others around me have it currently.

One of my brothers tested positive on Wednesday, he went to a wedding reception about two weeks ago. And folks who were there to party had to pass a rapid test to get in, too :shrug:

Seems like everyone's gonna carry some version of the bug real soon. Hopefully the mild or untraceable version.

Hopefully it’s mild if untraceable and not or haha.

Let’s just hope the whole Covid vs cold thing ends up truer than the Covid vs flu thing.

Los Angeles County’s COVID-19 hospitalizations have also increased significantly since Dec. 1, from 569 to 904 on Christmas, an increase of 59%. But the latest number is far less than it was a year ago, when vaccinations had just been introduced and were in sharply limited supply; in L.A. County on Dec. 25, 2020, there were 6,815 people with COVID-19 in L.A. County’s hospitals; up from 2,572 on Dec. 1, 2020. At its peak, L.A. County observed 8,098 COVID-19 hospitalizations on Jan. 5, a time that coincided with overwhelmed hospitals and*overflowing morgues.

Like - come on folks. 904 hospitalizations with a crazy contagious strain.

6,000 fewer than alpha year over year, which wasn't nearly this contagious.

Hath thou considered the outbreak/wave just began
From South Africa, where the variant was discovered a month ago:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...vid-hospitalizations-at-8-435-with-6-7-in-icu

"South African hospitals have 8,435 Covid-19 patients, of which 6.7% are in intensive-care units, the National Institute for Communicable Diseases said...

The number of people in the hospital due to Covid-19 is, so far, a fraction of the total at the height of earlier infection waves. Covid-19 hospitalizations peaked at nearly 20,000 in January and July, the crest of the country’s second and third waves respectively."

The 7 day moving average for cases in South Africa peaked at 23,284 on December 18. The July peak was 19,886 and the January peak was 18,498. So let's say a 21% increase in cases with a 56% drop in hospitalizations, assuming the peak for cases has been reached. You can do the math on the infection hospitalization rate for the respective waves.

Last edited:
South Africa's vaccination rate is 26.6% right now, which is terrible. That probably varies enormously by region though, so it might be easier to gauge the severity of omicron by looking at the hospitalization rate in areas outside of more highly-vaccinated metropolitan centers.

We will be able to make broader statements about omicron's impact on the US health care system in 1-2 weeks because hospitalizations and deaths are a lagging indicator. Anecdotally, it does seem like vaccination status is a big deal as far as keeping the hospitals from collapsing. I've read so many unvaccinated horror stories from doctors and nurses, even during this wave.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom