Global Pandemic Part V: Enjoy a Corona while flying Delta - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2022, 01:44 PM   #441
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Key piece of info is "among fully vaxxed", the unvaxxed are going to continue to help perpetuate this thing long after we run out of letters in the Greek Alphabet.
yes and no.

this isn't as bad for unvaxxed anymore, either. it's milder for everyone. and the next variant to take over will be even milder - it's not going to go the other way.

the overwhelming number of people who are hospitalized or dying are unvaxxed. but those numbers are lower than where they were previously.

it's time to start putting this thing behind us and not treating every new variant as if it's march 2020 again.

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #442
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:04 PM
I'd agree that we are quickly approaching the point where the major hurdle to something approximating normalcy is cultural rather than medical. It seems more and more that Covid paranoia has become entrenched in the politics of the left. I'm not sure how easily that can be changed.

iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:15 PM   #443
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I'd agree that we are quickly approaching the point where the major hurdle to something approximating normalcy is cultural rather than medical. It seems more and more that Covid paranoia has become entrenched in the politics of the left. I'm not sure how easily that can be changed.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:34 PM   #444
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
yes and no.

this isn't as bad for unvaxxed anymore, either. it's milder for everyone. and the next variant to take over will be even milder - it's not going to go the other way.

the overwhelming number of people who are hospitalized or dying are unvaxxed. but those numbers are lower than where they were previously.

it's time to start putting this thing behind us and not treating every new variant as if it's march 2020 again.

Not sure what point you’re making about the unvaccinated. That little slope up is likely predominately unvaccinated delta and early omicron people. We need the month of January for data on unvaccinated people with exclusively omicron. Given that the majority of the population is vaccinated, the damage to unvaccinated people will not be visually apparent on that graph alone.

But that’s all moot. The virus can mutate. That, too, is moot. Because nobody as a population, vaccinated or not, has shown any ability to be even minor ability to be inconvenienced. So, honestly we should accept that it’s going to mutate and kill more people, and the assholes who won’t get vaccinated are going to probably kill themselves. Let’s get on with our lives.
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #445
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I feel sorry for the people who have so deeply submerged themselves in this pandemic that their entire identities revolve around their vaccination status, opinions on lockdowns and vaccine mandates, mask wearing, etc. Inevitably, this pandemic will end and people will have to find a new crisis upon which to attach themselves.

Each day I find the same people on the LA Public Health Twitter complaining about mask-wearing liberals, unvaccinated MAGA supporters, etc. and I shake my head. It's pathetic that a topic as important as public health became politicized so starkly.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:27 PM   #446
New Yorker

2022 it is
DeVaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:40 PM   #447
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Let’s get on with our lives.
Indeed.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #448
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:04 PM
2 of the 4 in my house have tested positive now. Me? The guy the actually has cold like symptoms? Just tested negative.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:27 AM   #449
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

You'd think that at this point people would understand that pandemics are really about collective and not individual choice. It doesn't matter really at this point if people are in the hospital because of incidental COVID, or mild symptoms that require hydration rather than respirators. If you need dialysis, or if you have appendicitis, or if you are a homeless person who tested positive and are looking for a shelter that accepts COVID patients, you are screwed irrespective of your vaccination status, because hospitals can't cope with volume, and social services are not set up for this. Exponential growth is ruthless like that. "Let's go live our lives" is great if you don't fall into one of those unfortunate categories.
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:51 AM   #450
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
You'd think that at this point people would understand that pandemics are really about collective and not individual choice. It doesn't matter really at this point if people are in the hospital because of incidental COVID, or mild symptoms that require hydration rather than respirators. If you need dialysis, or if you have appendicitis, or if you are a homeless person who tested positive and are looking for a shelter that accepts COVID patients, you are screwed irrespective of your vaccination status, because hospitals can't cope with volume, and social services are not set up for this. Exponential growth is ruthless like that. "Let's go live our lives" is great if you don't fall into one of those unfortunate categories.

Since the quote is from me, I think you should reconsider my post. I fully note that pandemics are about the collective, and like I said, nobody in this country (or western society) can be inconvenienced for even one minute. That’s why it’s time to get on with our lives. This idea that the country is somehow going to pull together a collective effort to care for one another after two years of colossal failure to do so is crazy. We don’t just fail legislatively from one side, we socially fail from both.
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:56 AM   #451
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I didn't mean to pick on your quote in particular, and know your views are more nuanced than that. It's just quite depressing that people can't seem to have empathy or care for others in more unfortunate circumstances than themselves.
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:12 PM   #452
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:04 PM
I agree one of the worst parts of this is that we are basically screwed as a society if a worse tragedy were to happen. A more deadly virus, nuclear war, a comet.....

We have shown exactly who we are or aren't (at least in USA, I think other countries had their issues but maybe not to the scale?). This isn't like the movies where we all come together to beat a extinction or mass death event.

It'll have to come down to a select few like the scientists/etc who broke through with the vaccines. Imagine our lives had those not been as successful as they turned out.

it's depressing but we do have to move forward. each taking our own actions to do what's best for the collective and whatever is, is.
BEAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:58 PM   #453
Refugee

Chicago Teachers Clash With Biden’s Push to Keep Schools Open
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ch...pen/ar-AASqUeT

Mayor Lightfoot, Mayor Adams, and the Biden Administration are on point with the schools issue here. With it being early 2022 and all, not March 2020.

Of course, this story might be a better fit in the "U.S. Politics" thread....cuz it appears to boil down to the same old local politics.
Bluer White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:38 AM   #454
War Child

We need to take this way more seriously than we are because of the strain so many cases are putting on the healthcare system. Hospitals are completely packed. People with non-COVID issues are dying because they can't get care. Even if the percentages are lower in terms of need for hospitalization, the sheer volume is overwhelming the system.

This is probably the last truly bad wave, but it's very disheartening to see the government just give up. Biden literally released a statement saying "Google where to find tests!" and claimed state and local governments are offering them. Chicago's public health department had to basically say "we're out of them, specifically because the Biden administration dropped the ball." What a mess.
Jerry Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #455
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
Chicago Teachers Clash With Biden’s Push to Keep Schools Open
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ch...pen/ar-AASqUeT

Mayor Lightfoot, Mayor Adams, and the Biden Administration are on point with the schools issue here. With it being early 2022 and all, not March 2020.

Of course, this story might be a better fit in the "U.S. Politics" thread....cuz it appears to boil down to the same old local politics.
the relaunch of back to school in DC has been an absolute mess.

they decided to keep schools closed monday and tuesday a few weeks back to distribute tests to staff and kids, allow them time to test and submit their tests, and then reopen on Wednesday.

it snowed monday - so they pushed the whole thing back a day (for no reason) with a reopen thursday.

then the site you were supposed to upload the tests to crashed - so they sent an email around saying that if you couldn't upload your test that you could just send a signed note from a parent saying little johnny doesn't have COVID.

the one thing i give bowser credit for is taking a school by school approach here instead of a district wide approach. only one school didn't open today (based on the test results) - every other school is in operation today.

the at home learning and virtual learning does not work for young kids. the negatives outweigh the positives - especially with a vaccinated staff and coming vaccine mandates for students. the schools need to stay open. enough is enough.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:42 AM   #456
Blue Crack Supplier

Teacher's union here (MTA) tried to force the Governor's hand to keep schools closed to start January. Governor Baker in no uncertain terms said flat out "no.".
Right call by him, let individual school districts or specific schools close if needed but no way does the entire state need to shut down.

I particularly liked that the state called out the union in its statement refusing their call to keep schools closed:
https://turnto10.com/news/local/mass...-closed-monday

Quote:
“The commissioner is not going to close schools Monday, and asks teachers to be patient as we work to get tests in their hands this weekend," Colleen Quinn said in a statement. “It is disappointing that once again the MTA is trying to find a way to close schools, which we know is to the extreme detriment of our children.
Every time I see the MTA spokeswoman Merrie Najimy on my TV, I have to resist the urge to throw something through the screen. If it were up to her schools would have stayed closed from march 2020 until sometime in the next millennium.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:54 AM   #457
War Child

Teachers want to teach remotely for a few weeks while the wave is at its worst. I cannot think of a single teacher who prefers remote teaching to in-person teaching. It's a very convenient argument for union busters to say that teachers are trying to ruin education by forcing another year of remote learning. They just want to do it when it's safe. Fully on the side of teacher's unions here.
Jerry Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:41 PM   #458
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
My thought was that he has Covid and won't admit it publicly.
But who knows? Absence just adds to his resume.
https://www.dailydot.com/debug/desan...d-speculation/

Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:42 PM   #459
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post

This is probably the last truly bad wave, but it's very disheartening to see the government just give up.

Why would you say that? You just jinxed us all!!!

In all seriousness, though, there's pretty much no way this is the last bad wave. It's far more likely that we will have another variant of concern. One that is as transmisible as Omicron, more intense than Delta, and is completely vaccine resistent. There is absolutely no reason for any optimism at this point.
The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:55 PM   #460
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Why would you say that? You just jinxed us all!!!

In all seriousness, though, there's pretty much no way this is the last bad wave. It's far more likely that we will have another variant of concern. One that is as transmisible as Omicron, more intense than Delta, and is completely vaccine resistent. There is absolutely no reason for any optimism at this point.
That's not how most viruses work.

A virus, like all living things, has one goal - survival.

The variants that have the best chance of survival will win the evolutionary battle. A deadlier variant that is as transmissible as Omicron will either burn itself out or destroy itself by destroying the hosts.

Obviously anything is possible but it's much mu,ch much more likely that the virus continues to evolve into something that is endemic like seasonal flu or the common cold. Those things both kill tens of thousands of people a year, as our gzus loving friend told us in the past.

This is the most likely path of COVID-19, and it is likely already happening with omicron.