Global Pandemic Part V: Enjoy a Corona while flying Delta - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2021, 04:14 PM   #361
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Articles like these offer some hope:

https://fortune.com/2021/12/06/omicr...experts-fauci/

https://www.cityam.com/from-covid-cu...elta-mutation/

LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #362
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
if this is true - which it's looking more and more likely to be the case - it's obviously amazing news and, along with vaccines and treatments, could truly mark the end of this nightmare.

in the short term, though, everyone is going to have to do some adjusting on their restrictions - as it seems like this has the potential to do what the idiots last march said - cause unnecessary disruption for what's nothing more than a cold.

it's going to cause a bit of culture shock (in the blue parts of the country, at least) to now all of a sudden say "well actually it wouldn't be a bad thing if you caught THIS covid"

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:25 AM   #363
Blue Crack Distributor

we're about to enter the "everyone is about to get this shit over the coming weeks but it's going to be fairly mild but we're not going to adjust anything because i dunno we're just kinda winging it again" phase of COVID
Old 12-15-2021, 09:59 AM   #364
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
We need to come to some sort of agreement as to what it is we're trying to prevent,” says Céline Gounder, an infectious-disease expert at New York University. “Are we trying to prevent hospitalization? Are we trying to prevent death? Are we trying to prevent transmission?”
omicron is making this question more vital. what are we trying to do? trying to prevent transmission in a vaccinated society (for those parts of the country that actually believes in science) is a frustrating and increasingly unnecessary practice that is wearing down the people who have actually done the right thing through this mess. it's clear that a vaccinated population a) can still get get the virus, b) are infectious but not nearly as infectious as the unvaccinated due to lower viral loads, and c) highly unlikely to end up in the hospital.

we need to stop trying to protect the unvaccinated. they've made their choice. i hope they change their minds, but this isn't march 2020 anymore. you have a choice.

we need more vaccine mandates, and we need to stop giving free covid care to the willingly unvaccinated. anything else is a failure of leadership.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:59 AM   #365
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:01 PM
https://twitter.com/armstrongdrew/st...641410055?s=21

I very sad read and also stupid because these people were so selfish to not get vaccinated that they’ve ruined so many other lives, and traumatized our healthcare workforce.
BEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #366
Blue Crack Addict

Fuck the unvaccinated.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #367
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Fuck the unvaccinated.

So … I agree in principle, but the rest of us might need an ICU for other things. So it’s still worth trying to save these stupid fuckers from themselves as much as we can in order to keep beds open.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #368
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:01 PM
I think the next few weeks are going to be crazy in regards to number of cases. While the data coming out does point to this being a milder variant, the sheer number of people getting sick is not going to help our strained healthcare system. There's never any promise that when you get sick it'll only be a mild case, and what's always worried me about Covid19 is the long term effects. Though I am wondering if there's been any studies on Long Covid in vaccinated individuals?

We really need to be pushing the Boosters hard right now.

Assuming this thing washes over us / world within the next 3-4 months, and doesn't produce a harsher version, probably be done with this by summer....or at least have it down to some flu like levels.

Here in CA we are back to indoor mask mandate. I had forgotten the comfort of being able to mouth an obscenity while in the grocery store and no one has any idea
BEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:09 PM   #369
New Yorker

Global Pandemic Part V: Enjoy a Corona while flying Delta

There’s a hardcore portion of the population who will continue pissing their pants over any mandate and will either be forced out of places by underpaid hourly workers or worse. At the same time, we can’t be a nation that denies people care. I mean, we are, but we can’t actually advertise it! Seeing as the pocketbook is the only place you can make this hurt, it’s way past time for upping insurance premiums on the willfully unvaxxed.

A vaccine mandate for all domestic air travel would’ve made sense months ago but that’s not happening. Biden has no political capital left to spend and Buttigieg isn’t going to destroy his ‘24 or ‘28 chances on that kind of advocacy. Insurance companies, however, are already happy being the bad guy as long as the money rolls in. I say go for it. Make it ugly. Make it hurt. Fuck em.
DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:37 PM   #370
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
So … I agree in principle, but the rest of us might need an ICU for other things. So it’s still worth trying to save these stupid fuckers from themselves as much as we can in order to keep beds open.
So the easy solution here, and I see the harshness in this and don't say it lightly... but the solution when it comes to overcrowding and lack of infrastructure and rationing of medical care is to send the willingly unvaccinated to the end of the list, and/or take them off a vent in favor of someone who has been vaccinated (or is unable to due to legitimate medical issues), whether that vaccinated person needs the vent for covid or for some other medical emergency.

It's not denying care - but if rationing of care is a necessity, as it has been in some hospitals, and likely will be again? Then vaccination status should move to the top or the decision making list.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #371
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I think the next few weeks are going to be crazy in regards to number of cases. While the data coming out does point to this being a milder variant, the sheer number of people getting sick is not going to help our strained healthcare system. There's never any promise that when you get sick it'll only be a mild case, and what's always worried me about Covid19 is the long term effects. Though I am wondering if there's been any studies on Long Covid in vaccinated individuals?

We really need to be pushing the Boosters hard right now.

Assuming this thing washes over us / world within the next 3-4 months, and doesn't produce a harsher version, probably be done with this by summer....or at least have it down to some flu like levels.

Here in CA we are back to indoor mask mandate. I had forgotten the comfort of being able to mouth an obscenity while in the grocery store and no one has any idea
Omicron will not wash over the world on 3-4 months.

It's going to wash over the world in 3-4 weeks, if not sooner. Check the weekly rates from last week. This thing is a rocket ship as far as positivity goes.

Hospitalizations, however, remain low in comparison to other waves - even in South Africa where it started (and where vaccination rates are low)

This could be a great thing for all of us - but because we're so politicized with our reactions - in both directions mind you - our ability to adjust how we treat this will lag weeks behind. You're about to see a rash or cancelations and closures - most of which will ultimately turn out to have been unnecessary.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #372
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
So the easy solution here, and I see the harshness in this and don't say it lightly... but the solution when it comes to overcrowding and lack of infrastructure and rationing of medical care is to send the willingly unvaccinated to the end of the list, and/or take them off a vent in favor of someone who has been vaccinated (or is unable to due to legitimate medical issues), whether that vaccinated person needs the vent for covid or for some other medical emergency.

It's not denying care - but if rationing of care is a necessity, as it has been in some hospitals, and likely will be again? Then vaccination status should move to the top or the decision making list.
Bingo.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #373
Blue Crack Distributor

highest positive case rate since the pandemic began in DC yesterday - and omicron is only just getting started in the US.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:44 AM   #374
New Yorker

Quote:
highest positive case rate since the pandemic began in DC yesterday - and omicron is only just getting started in the US.

Glad I stocked up on Binax tests ahead of Christmas. Harder to find now.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #375
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVaul View Post
we've got 5 boxes in the closet. we're like elaine with sponges
Old 12-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #376
New Yorker

Quote:

Old 12-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #377
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Spending 3 weeks in a place where COVID has been pretty okay lately and then flying back to an Omicron wave in NYC is not fun.
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:18 PM   #378
Blue Crack Supplier

I really appreciate living in a super liberal city where you have to show a vax card to do almost all fun indoor things and the citizens are easily terrified, so they wear masks in parking garages.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #379
Blue Crack Addict

Got my 3rd dose on Wednesday. Thankfully it was the same as the first two - sore arm and tired.

Here, the positivity rate is at 12%, hospitalizations remain at 60 but vaccinations are on the rise once again.
Anything related to school, work and entertainment has been (thankfully) restricted to the vaccinated for the past few months.

Life goes on, because I’m exhausted and the idea of returning to lockdown or restrictions is just sickening. But keeping the mask handy.
prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #380
Blue Crack Distributor

We are not making it through New Year's without shutting down unless we completely change our entire thought process around omicron.

It's inevitable.