Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:14 PM
Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

Pinkies out

LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:14 PM
May the tissue of aborted fetuses heal the planet.

Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

We have rounded the corner, it's all going away soon. Covid covid covid covid covid, to quote our ignoramus orange super spreader.
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

We've rounded the corner and see a light at the end of the tunnel...unfortunately its a freight train coming our way.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I wonder if we will see a 100k case record on Tuesday when the various states provide updates on the weekend testing.
gump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
I wonder if we will see a 100k case record on Tuesday when the various states provide updates on the weekend testing.
110K + probably.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
110K + probably.

Unfortunately I think this is quite possible. What a clusterfuck.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Maybe if that asshat had done what he should have done at least we might have "only" been up to
Global Panic Part: II.
And way less deaths and lingering health conditions!
dazzledbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

What are you all so upset about? He said it again in New Hampshire today-we've turned the corner, it's going away.

Five plus years now of he says something, that makes it true. Actually so much longer than that when you include his con sham of a business career.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

People’s willingness to listen to this absolute moron over facts and science will never cease to amaze me.

If only this virus could take out those who insist that it’s a scam, the rest of us would all be better for it.
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

A tale of two pandemics-by a housekeeper at Walter Reed

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f905e8fc5b6b005f5f1d6e4
Old 10-27-2020, 03:15 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:14 AM
Lockdown in Berchtesgaden 80 years too late.

So far, fall is exactly like most people predicted. The virus spreads at incredible rates, so that there's no way for effective contact tracing. Like suggested before, summer travels certainly exacerbated the problem, as it allowed populations to mix and then bring the virus back home. The responsible thing to do would have been to ban the holiday season, or only allow local travel, but no country was going to do that to their tourism sector. We are now going to pay the price.
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Boston.com

Flying is less risky than going to the grocery store or eating out when it comes to catching COVID-19, according to a Harvard study released Tuesday.

The Aviation Public Health Initiative (APHI), a project of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, researched practices that reduce the public health risks of flying during the pandemic and released phase one of its findings, a “gate-to-gate” analysis of the environment onboard the aircraft, and will release phase two, a “curb-to-curb” analysis of the environment inside the airport, in early 2021.

The study found that the airline industry’s layered approach of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPI) used to slow the spread of the disease, which spreads through droplets and aerosolized particles, has reduced the risk on planes to “very low levels.” The NPI used on planes, according to researchers, include High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters, mandatory face mask policies, disinfection of high-touch surfaces, health attestations from passengers and crew before flying, and education and awareness of COVID-19.

This layered approach, with ventilation gate-to-gate, reduces the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission onboard aircraft below that of other routine activities during the pandemic, such as grocery shopping or eating out,” the report says.

There have been 13 peer-reviewed case studies surrounding COVID-19 transmission on planes, according to the report.

“After detailed analysis of these reports, it is the view of APHI that there have been a very low number of infections that could be attributed to exposure on aircraft during travel,” the organization wrote.

However, until there is widespread vaccination, there is always a risk of infection in public and the choice to travel is a personal one based on one’s risk tolerance and individual health considerations, the report noted.

“Our team found that, together with their high-performing ventilation systems, the actions that the airlines put in place — including mandatory use of face masks — significantly reduce risks of viral transmission aboard an airplane,” said Leonard Marcus, co-director of APHI, in the report. “With comprehensive adherence to these preventive measures by airlines and passengers, air travel, along with other sectors of society, can responsibly return to some level of normal activity as we await development of an effective vaccine.”

In September, Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health released a technical bulletin on face masks during air travel, calling universal mask compliance and correct use “critically important throughout the air travel process.”
Old 10-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I'm wondering if any of you made any changes to your living arrangements/real estate as a result of COVID? Anecdotally I am seeing quite a lot of the following among colleagues and friends:
- new graduates or younger people moving back home to save on rent and be available for their parents
- landlords dropping rent on downtown condos since the downtown is a ghost town
- many of my friends fleeing from small condos downtown and trying to get into anything with some outdoor space - houses, townhouses, etc
- people doing renovations - our contractor told us that he can't sleep because of how busy they have been, that people are trying to optimize their home spaces for working from home or they just have a bit of extra $ from not travelling, etc and are doing the renos they have been thinking of for a while.

We sold our house a month and a half ago, so COVID accelerated the move we anticipated next summer. A number of my colleagues bought semi-rural properties believing that they'll never return to the office 5 days a week, so why not reduce the size of their mortgage while actually getting more property/outdoor space. I really wonder how far reaching the implications will be the longer this persists.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I'm wondering if any of you made any changes to your living arrangements/real estate as a result of COVID? Anecdotally I am seeing quite a lot of the following among colleagues and friends:
- new graduates or younger people moving back home to save on rent and be available for their parents
- many of my friends fleeing from small condos downtown and trying to get into anything with some outdoor space - houses, townhouses, etc
- people doing renovations - our contractor told us that he can't sleep because of how busy they have been, that people are trying to optimize their home spaces for working from home or they just have a bit of extra $ from not travelling, etc and are doing the renos they have been thinking of for a while.

We sold our house a month and a half ago, so COVID accelerated the move we anticipated next summer. A number of my colleagues bought semi-rural properties believing that they'll never return to the office 5 days a week, so why not reduce the size of their mortgage while actually getting more property/outdoor space. I really wonder how far reaching the implications will be the longer this persists.

it's all anecdotal, and my friend group tends to be more child-free than our hetero- age counterparts, but people seem to be staying put, although there's lots of talk of "it's so much cheaper upstate!" a few people have moved, but most are waiting it out. a lot of my NY friends are delighted to see some of the stroller crowd depart for the suburbs, giving the city an edgier, less Disney feel.

rents in NYC, especially Manhattan, have clearly gotten cheaper.

unclear what rents are doing in DC, but i am extremely glad we moved 3 years ago to a less dense neighborhood where we have a SFH and a yard, but a still highly walkable neighborhood. i still avoid the Metro and Ubers, so we are driving more if we have to go somewhere, but then parking is better.

we're doing lots of little projects on our house and had hoped to completely redo our kitchen, but to get the kitchen we want, we'd need help from a HELOC, and they've been frozen by the banks with no real indication about when credit will become available again. my guess is lots of people have been redoing rooms and buying lots of office furniture and converting spaces, but major construction (like a kitchen) might not be much different than before, or even less if credit is needed for big-bucks renovations.

when we discussed plans with a designer, they stressed that our formal dining -- which we love -- isn't at all what people are looking for, especially with families. they recommended turning that room into office/lounge and combining dining and kitchen into one big room. (we'd have to knock down a wall, which is how it got expensive). it's kind of depressing, in one way -- we moved here because open-floor plans annoy us, we like rooms, and it's a pleasure to serve a meal in a dining room with doors that shut so you don't see kitchen mess as folks are relaxing.

i realize this isn't a concern with people who have kids, like, under the age of 12, who probably aren't throwing dinner parties that go past midnight. but we might be moving along in a couple of years, and will do what's best for resale.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Not changing my arrangements in the foreseeable future. Our lease ends in February, but we will stay in Brooklyn even if end up moving buildings if we find a better arrangement. I would like a balcony, for example, but it's not a deal breaker. Moving outside of the city is not something that has really interested us due to lifestyle, even with a small child, but I can certainly see the appeal. Might revisit this once there's more clarity on what "normal" work arrangements will be post-COVID, though both my wife and I work for pretty old-school outfits that are unlikely to go fully remote or even predominantly remote (maybe 3-days/week max).
Old 10-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:14 AM
For myself I’m thinking of moving to north county out of the downtown area.

Half the people in my complex don’t wear a mask, and I’d say it’s probably the same if you’re out walking around. Now people do put them on for grocery and to into a bar (to the patio) but what really bothers me is my living quarters.

Downtown is also turning into skid row and i can’t see that getting any better. In fact it’s only gotten worse and I’ve been in this location for three years.

I do know the downtown places are offering awesome deals like 2-3 months free to get people to move in. That also brings in the younger crowd who normally wouldn’t be able to afford rent here.

I do think it would be smart to look at a place that has more outdoor space. I’d miss the walkable places i have now but I’m more likely to catch hepatitis and covid if i stay.

San Diego has been fortunate to be in a climate that allows outdoor activities and dining 95% of the year.
BEAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i realize this isn't a concern with people who have kids, like, under the age of 12, who probably aren't throwing dinner parties that go past midnight. but we might be moving along in a couple of years, and will do what's best for resale.
For sure. All changes we made to our house in the last 2 years were done with a view to resale since we knew we were moving. It takes a lot of the stress off when you know that a wide range of people will be willing to consider your house.

I am shocked your HELOCs are frozen. Doesn't that have a pretty large negative impact on anyone who is selling one property and buying another? I imagine most people will need to draw from their HELOC for both the deposit and the downpayment and to decrease bridge financing.

Mortgages rates in Canada are absurdly low which has made single family homes in places like Toronto shoot up in value and sell instantly. We are taking on a mortgage on our new house and the rate we got is a 1.64% 5-yr fixed.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
For sure. All changes we made to our house in the last 2 years were done with a view to resale since we knew we were moving. It takes a lot of the stress off when you know that a wide range of people will be willing to consider your house.

I am shocked your HELOCs are frozen. Doesn't that have a pretty large negative impact on anyone who is selling one property and buying another? I imagine most people will need to draw from their HELOC for both the deposit and the downpayment and to decrease bridge financing.

Mortgages rates in Canada are absurdly low which has made single family homes in places like Toronto shoot up in value and sell instantly. We are taking on a mortgage on our new house and the rate we got is a 1.64% 5-yr fixed.

it's funny, the designer we'll work with loves and wants our house (and has two small children), so once we're ready to pull the trigger, i'm going to tell her to build the kitchen she would want (within budget) because people like her are probably going to be the ones who most want where we live. if we do stay forever, which is possible, i'm sure we'll adapt.

the bank where we have our mortgage has definitely frozen HELOCs.

and interest rates are absurdly low here as well. we thought we got a great rate 3 years ago, and it's certainly better now.

when i walk my dog around the neighborhood, i'm seeing a lot of homes being gut reno'd, and redone very high end. i think this is anticipating a move of people from the core of DC (where we used to live) to a neighborhood like the one i'm in. this was one of the few remaining "affordable" neighborhoods with SFH inside the city, and that's probably going away. i see more and more children on the sidewalks every day. could be because of the pandemic, but it feels like a trend.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:34 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:14 PM
Quote:
Mortgages rates in Canada are absurdly low which has made single family homes in places like Toronto shoot up in value and sell instantly.
This is the case in Chicago as well - this summer the real estate market was absurdly hot. I want to move and was tempted by a few places, but ultimately I think it's too risky at this moment. My sense is a lot of the people who jumped on low interest rates are stretching their incomes to own a house and will be in immediate trouble if they lose their job or even see hours/salary reduced.

iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote