Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mom and grandma were released from hospital. Grandma went to nursing home to rehab her hip. She never really had more than a cough from covid. 95 and won’t ever die i think which saddens her. She was hoping this was it.

My mom still on oxygen and said she can walk once around the block and feel ok. She’s back to annoying me over the phone so i know she’s feeling better.

Just never know with this virus on who survives or doesn’t. But glad to know she’ll be around for some more time
Glad to hear they are out of the hospital! Good luck to your mom!
Sorry about how your grandma feels.
I hope I can make it to 94 1/2 in generally pretty good to good shape so I can celebrate my sister's 90th. My mom's side has often gotten up to their early 90s, my dad mid 80's but he did something stupid that down the road cost him some years. Plus as long as I have my multi varied artistic and crafting abilities there's endless doing, experimenting, and trying new things. With the internet I talk and engage in with people from their late '70s+ down to people in their 20's in our various visual creative persuits. And I have 2 f2f friends who are 14 - 20 yrs younger so hopefully they'll be around. Plus cousins who I love in their late 30's to early 40s - we have a great v(not this year) Xmas get together. We're on line w each other on fb, too.

This is the thing that a lot of people (who haven't been back at all) fail to understand. The office you're going to is most certainly not the office you left.

I've been in maybe a half a dozen times since March. It sucks. Nobody is there, the kitchens are off limits, the restaurants in the lobby are closed, you have to follow arrows around the hall making for a ridiculous 5 minute hike to the women's washroom - where only one person is allowed in at a time. You can't meet with anyone so you're sitting in your office on a Teams call with somebody down the hall...why the hell would I put on a suit and do my make up when I could stay at home in sweat pants.

Even post vaccine, most businesses will have some kind of hybrid model. Talk to large commercial real estate lessors and you'll see how many businesses are downsizing or outright eliminating office space. It's staggering.
I'm retired. Some of my younger relatives and acquaintances they're a mix of working from home, a few have businesses at home. I'm not sure about some others...

But I've listened on public radio to a bunch of discussions on the post-quarantine effects of office work.

It's not Karens, it's the crunchy granola middle-upper middle women who go to mom and tot classes with other women who sell them essential oils and rail against vaccines. Very high overlap with the "breastfeed at all costs" crowd and so on.

It's really maddening because most of them are privileged and many are even highly educated.
It makes me unhappy to see some of my younger and favorite cousins running around maskless with their friends. :( But I'm not going there with them.

Level of education seems to have very little to do with people's rejection of vaccines.

I work with nurses and other members of staff that work on cancer trials, including cancer trials involving the use of mRNA based vaccines, which the likes of Pfizer have repurposed for their current vaccine, but are hesitant about getting vaccinated or have nebulous non-specific concerns and don't want to get it.

There is a weird emotional response related to it that doesn't seem to be affected by any educational attainment.

Hoping to hear in the next month or two about getting vaccinated, since the UK is getting receipt of about 800,000 doses next week, depends a bit how the prioritisation works out.
Good Luck over there, LJT!

On a much lighter note, Adam's covid isolation look is becoming very Santa/David Letterman

View attachment 12724

Omg! I never would have recognized him!

We're officially a COVID household now too.

My son came home from school on Wednesday pale as a ghost, so lethargic that he could barely stand, deep purple spots under his eyes and complained that his legs were hurting. He had no appetite and was totally out of it, so not even thinking of COVID when we took him to emerg. The doctor there ran a leukemia panel (which shaved at least 10 years off my life) and said as a by the way thing, let's run a COVID test. Well today (72 hrs later, do better Toronto) they notified us that he's COVID+ and scheduled testing for my husband, daughter and myself. Husband and I are fairly ill, and our daughter remains asymptomatic. We all have totally different symptoms, which is maddening.

After the initial shock, I almost felt a perverse sense of relief to have it over with.
Ah.... damn it! So sorry to here this! :(
Good luck to you, your immediate family, your parents, etc!

3,054 deaths today. I can't even anymore.
:hug: You live near a hospital, right?

Damn drumph & Co to hell for their criminal neigligence! :gah:

Last edited:
First vaccines left Pfizer in Michigan early this morning. Felt like a ray of hope to watch it live.

View attachment 12729

Yep.
Even though I know its probably about 6 months away for most of us, it does feel like we're finally turning a corner (despite how long we've heard the Orangutan in Chief use the term "rounding the curve" ).
Finally a light at the end of the still quite long tunnel that's not a freight train barreling towards us.

I've got my eyes glued to the news because it seems likely that teachers will be in the second (January) or third (February/March) waves of vaccination recipients. The economy cannot properly function without us because, frankly, essential workers need someone to watch their kids.

Not sure how in-person teaching would work without students being vaccinated, since outbreaks could happen at any time, but we'll probably be giving it a go by March. And that isn't far away.

I've got my eyes glued to the news because it seems likely that teachers will be in the second (January) or third (February/March) waves of vaccination recipients. The economy cannot properly function without us because, frankly, essential workers need someone to watch their kids.

Not sure how in-person teaching would work without students being vaccinated, since outbreaks could happen at any time, but we'll probably be giving it a go by March. And that isn't far away.
Yeah I was wondering if we'd be getting back to full time in person school here (my son is doing hybrid currently) at some point this academic year once teachers get the vaccine (supposed to start in February here).

I can't get it until April-June. I would much prefer April. I am very happy that it won't be until the Biden admin is in charge of distribution, because leave it to the Trump admin to f up everything.

Plus imo there will be lots of "shenanigans" going on for the rest of Trump. I can just imagine vaccination parties for the rich at Mar A Lago.

It definitely feels like more hope than we've had in a long time (aside from the glorious moment it became clear that the Orange Menace was going to be gone).

I no longer particularly care when I get the vaccine because all indications are that immunity is sustained for as long as we've been able to track given this pandemic only started a year or so ago.

My son was very sick for 3-4 days but then overnight recovered and is totally fine without any issues so far. My daughter never developed symptoms. My Mom was the only grandparent to catch it (she was picking up kids from school/daycare for us a couple of days a week so it makes sense) and she had the mildest symptoms, thank goodness. She is fully recovered. My husband and I were really quite badly off all of last week. He had terrible headaches, brain fog, fatigue and almost constant chills. He was dressed like he was going outside in the snow and was taking multiple hot steam showers a day to keep warm. I had a fever for almost 9 days, around the clock. Fatigue, bad headache, cough that went away pretty quickly and some gastro issues. The fatigue was just totally debilitating. I am now back to normal except the fatigue. I can barely make it up the stairs in our house. Before this, I wasn't in the best shape of my life, but I was still quite active, running about 2K a day just to keep moving and lifting weights a couple of days a week. I can't imagine how I will return to any sort of physical fitness, not for at least a few weeks. There is a part of me that worries that my lung function will be affected for a very long time but there is nothing I can do about it except wait and see. But the worst of it is over.

We all tested positive in the end and frankly now I'm considering a winter vacation in the next couple of months. I see no real need for us to wait around for a vaccine. The question is whether they will relax travel quarantines upon return with the use of rapid testing at the airport and whether it makes sense to spend $ to go somewhere where you're in a mask most of the time. But with respect to the latter, it looks like we'll have those sorts of obligations at least for a year.

Thank you for sharing this. It’s important to read about real experiences with this virus. I’m very sorry for how sick you’ve all been — it sounds miserable — but I’m happy to read that it sounds like you’ve turned a corner. I hope your recovery continues and you’re all back to full speed as soon as possible.

So our nanny tested positive and started developing symptoms today, so we are entering quarantine. This shit is really not fun.

Very good news

NY Times

Dec. 15, 2020
Updated 9:38 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON — Newly released data confirmed on Tuesday that Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine is highly protective, setting the stage for its emergency authorization this week by federal regulators and the start of its distribution across the country.

The Food and Drug Administration intends to authorize use of the vaccine on Friday, people familiar with the agency’s plans said. The decision would give millions of Americans access to a second coronavirus vaccine beginning as early as Monday.

The review by the F.D.A. confirms Moderna’s earlier assessment that its vaccine had an efficacy rate of 94.1 percent in a trial of 30,000 people. Side effects, including fever, headache and fatigue, were unpleasant but not dangerous, the agency found.

Thanks. I finally got a rapid test today and was negative. PCR here is taking 5-7 days so it’s almost useless. Nobody developed symptoms at home (today was day 4 after exposure). Hopefully it remains like this and we might be off isolation by Christmas.

Thanks. I finally got a rapid test today and was negative. PCR here is taking 5-7 days so it’s almost useless. Nobody developed symptoms at home (today was day 4 after exposure). Hopefully it remains like this and we might be off isolation by Christmas.

Good news.
Hope everyone stays well.

So glad to hear that you seem to have avoided it gump!

I still have no sense of smell/taste, kind of used to it now. It isn't bothering me as much as I thought it would. But I'm still huffing and puffing going up the stairs, just totally out of breath. It's the COVID lungs, and there is nothing to do but wait for them to repair themselves hopefully. I was prescribed a steroid spray yesterday, though it takes several days to take effect so I'm hoping that will have a positive impact on the breathing issues.

Everyone else is doing well, though my husband still says he has brain fog on and off.

I know there are variants of the virus and a theoretical, if rare in practice, chance of reinfection, but nonetheless I feel a LOT better being in public now that I know I have antibodies, at least for a few months. I've not relaxed my mask wearing, distancing, etc, but it's just not as scary when somebody bumps into you in the aisle of a grocery store.

Bye bye credibility

National Review

Dr. Birx Visited Relatives for Thanksgiving after Warning Against Holiday Travel

Zachary Evans

Mon, December 21, 2020, 2:32 PM EST

Dr. Deborah Birx, coordinator of the White House coronavirus task force, traveled for Thanksgiving to gather with three generations of her family despite cautioning Americans not to travel for the holiday, the Associated Press reported on Monday.

“It looked like things were starting to improve in our northern plain states, and now with Thanksgiving, we’re worried that all of that will be reversed,” Dr. Birx said on CBS’s Face the Nation on November 29, after the holiday weekend ended. “If your family traveled, you have to assume that you were exposed and you became infected and you really need to get tested in the next week.”

Dr. Birx herself had traveled to her vacation property in Delaware the day after Thanksgiving along with her husband, daughter, son-in-law, and two grandchildren.

“To me this disqualifies her from any future government health position,” Dr. Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at Georgetown University’s Center for Global Health Science and Security, told the AP. “It's a terrible message for someone in public health to be sending to the American people.”

So glad to hear that you seem to have avoided it gump!

I still have no sense of smell/taste, kind of used to it now. It isn't bothering me as much as I thought it would. But I'm still huffing and puffing going up the stairs, just totally out of breath. It's the COVID lungs, and there is nothing to do but wait for them to repair themselves hopefully. I was prescribed a steroid spray yesterday, though it takes several days to take effect so I'm hoping that will have a positive impact on the breathing issues.

Everyone else is doing well, though my husband still says he has brain fog on and off.

I know there are variants of the virus and a theoretical, if rare in practice, chance of reinfection, but nonetheless I feel a LOT better being in public now that I know I have antibodies, at least for a few months. I've not relaxed my mask wearing, distancing, etc, but it's just not as scary when somebody bumps into you in the aisle of a grocery store.

Thanks, anitram. Also relieved that our nanny has recovered well.

I’m glad to know you are doing better, but I can’t imagine the toll it takes. Hope the lungs recover in no time (a friend went through the same thing and had lung issues for a few weeks then got better). And I can imagine the feeling of knowing you have some protection now. I wanted to get an antibody test again (last had it in July) but the doctor at the clinic recommended against it - i think testing is again overwhelmed in the US so they are probably trying to manage it.

Who could have foreseen that vaccine rollout would face the same problems as the testing rollout?

Especially with Trump / Pence in charge.

Biden should be re-elected on the spot if he can fix this within a year.

Looking like theres a chance these vaccine doses could expire if not used soon. That’s unbelievable

Why not just send the stuff to any pharmacy, clinic, hospital and let anyone sign up ?

I do understand that part of the problem could be logistics and infrastructure but we can’t blow this or we’ll literally be in this exact same spot this time next year cause it’ll take too damn long to get enough people covered

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1344292928215281665?s=21

Are we trying to fuck this up completely media ??? Hill isn’t the only one with stupid headlines like this. Reuters is another

The vaccine doesn’t reach its full protection until a week or two after the 2nd dose. 90-93%

So you are still susceptible to the virus after the first shot, especially immediately after getting it.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1344292928215281665?s=21

Are we trying to fuck this up completely media ??? Hill isn’t the only one with stupid headlines like this. Reuters is another

The vaccine doesn’t reach its full protection until a week or two after the 2nd dose. 90-93%

So you are still susceptible to the virus after the first shot, especially immediately after getting it.

The vast majority of commenters appear to know all this and are saying as much, but I know there are many more out there who will read that and spread incorrect assumptions around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom